Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Brad Lidge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
I saw Lidge get hammered yet again tonight. The Padres simply did not swing at the slider, which is not thrown for a called strike, got ahead in the count, and hammered the fastball. (They also drew two walks. Walks are the key to big innings, the key, I tell ya'.)

I seriously hope that the Pirates are paying attention.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Brad Lidge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Bucfan wrote:
I saw Lidge get hammered yet again tonight. The Padres simply did not swing at the slider, which is not thrown for a called strike, got ahead in the count, and hammered the fastball. (They also drew two walks. Walks are the key to big innings, the key, I tell ya'.)

I seriously hope that the Pirates are paying attention.


Alot of the Phillies pitchers are off to bad starts. Lidge will right his ship soon. The expectations of him to have a season like he did last year must be sitting in the back of his head and after one or two bad outtings that is going to sit with him for a week or so until he gets things back on track. He shouldn't have even got out of that jam Friday night. He was very lucky with that one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Brad Lidge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10727
Colin21 wrote:
Alot of the Phillies pitchers are off to bad starts. Lidge will right his ship soon.

Unless he can start throwing the slider for called strikes, he is going to struggle. His dominance was founded on getting ahead with the fastball, and then putting batters away with that whiffle-ball slider in the dirt.

Now, teams are pounding the fastball if it is the first pitch. Lidge has started throwing the slider 0-0 and 1-0. He bounces the pitch, and falls behind 1-0 or 2-0. He throws his 92-93 mph four-seam over the plate, and WHAM!

This has happened repeatedly this year. He got away with a ton of bad pitching by giving up 2 with a 3-run lead, or giving up 1 with a 2-run lead.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Brad Lidge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Alot of the Phillies pitchers are off to bad starts. Lidge will right his ship soon.

Unless he can start throwing the slider for called strikes, he is going to struggle. His dominance was founded on getting ahead with the fastball, and then putting batters away with that whiffle-ball slider in the dirt.

Now, teams are pounding the fastball if it is the first pitch. Lidge has started throwing the slider 0-0 and 1-0. He bounces the pitch, and falls behind 1-0 or 2-0. He throws his 92-93 mph four-seam over the plate, and WHAM!

This has happened repeatedly this year. He got away with a ton of bad pitching by giving up 2 with a 3-run lead, or giving up 1 with a 2-run lead.


Well it could end up being a bad year for him, you can't really guess with him. He went from a 3.36 ERA and 19 saves in 2007 to a 1.95 ERA and 41 saves in 2008.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits