Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buccos!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Every year I get excited too early and then end up disappointed, but I'm telling you, I don't know what it is, but I have a different feeling about this team. I don't know what it is, but Duke, Snell, and Maholm looking promising, and all at the same time. Add that to the fact that we have legit offensive talent like McClouth, Doumit, and Morgan, and some good young guys in the farm system, and there is something to be excited about.

I'm not saying this is a world championship team, but I really think that this team seems different than teams from the recent past. There is a confident aura around this team, something I haven't felt about a Pirates team for years. At the very least, the new management team is guiding the Buccos in the right direction.

10-0 win over the Braves...great win! Let's go Bucs!

http://www.worldwidepittsburgh.com/page/signup.cfm

Post subject: Re: Buccos!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm 

WWP wrote:
Every year I get excited too early and then end up disappointed, but I'm telling you, I don't know what it is, but I have a different feeling about this team. I don't know what it is, but Duke, Snell, and Maholm looking promising, and all at the same time. Add that to the fact that we have legit offensive talent like McClouth, Doumit, and Morgan, and some good young guys in the farm system, and there is something to be excited about.

I'm not saying this is a world championship team, but I really think that this team seems different than teams from the recent past. There is a confident aura around this team, something I haven't felt about a Pirates team for years. At the very least, the new management team is guiding the Buccos in the right direction.

10-0 win over the Braves...great win! Let's go Bucs!

Amen, Brother!

Post subject: Re: Buccos!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:45 pm 

Having solid pitching is refreshing. It is just 11 games, I understand that, but the Pirate starters are throwing on the inside corner 5x as much as last year. Maholm in particular is fearless. He and Duke can throw 88-89 on the outside corner because they are keeping hitters honest.

Kerrigan clearly seems to have made a difference. And we properly gave credit to Don Long last year, for getting as much offense as could be hoped for from the line-up. Some hitters just need to improve pitch selection, particularly with a 3-2 count, and take a walk. If Sanchez and Morgan can draw a few walks, the offense will score a few runs.

And I am looking forward to improving the offense and defens with a very talented OF'er currently in AAA. He could make this an interesting second half.