Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moss Has Been Okay...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:03 pm 

I like Moss. I think he will end up being a pretty decent player. But can somone answer a question for me?? Why does SI.com have Moss wearing a Red Sox hat in their gameday.

Post subject: Re: Moss Has Been Okay...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:06 pm 

Animal wrote:
I like Moss. I think he will end up being a pretty decent player. But can somone answer a question for me?? Why does SI.com have Moss wearing a Red Sox hat in their gameday.

One of 2 reason could be true here. Either he hasn't taken a new picture yet or he still wishes he was with the Red Sox.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:27 pm 

I was annoyed by this last year after the trade. The Yankees and Red Sox photos had Bay, Nady with Red Sox and Yankee caps, but the photos of our new guys had their old Yankee/Red Sox caps still on......pure disrespect of he Pirates. Yes, I know, respect has to be earned! Go Bucs!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:43 pm 

Moss is going to be more then ok. He's been my pick as this year's break out guy. He's just beginning to get confidence. Wait, with his potential power, he'll be a star.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:21 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Moss is going to be more then ok. He's been my pick as this year's break out guy. He's just beginning to get confidence. Wait, with his potential power, he'll be a star.

I agree 100% Moss is going to be the next Bay once he hits his prime.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:36 am 

Animal wrote:

I think it's probably just old pictures but in all honesty if you were a player wouldn't you want to be associated w/ the Boston Farm System. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bucs but the Sox really are a model franchise.

I am excited about this team and NH in the long term (cautiously). I think they are serious about trying to win which is not something that we have been able to say for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:40 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

I agree 100% Moss is going to be the next Bay once he hits his prime.

Bay turned out to be the next Giles (and more) in the trade with San Diego, but I don't think Moss will turn out to be the next Bay, whose career OPS+ is 131. Don't get me wrong, I think Moss has the potential to be a really important part of the team in the next five years, but there's nothing in his career so far to indicate that he has that kind of potential. I hope I'm wrong, and I definitely could be...Bay only came up to the majors at the age that Moss is now.

With regards to the hat Moss is wearing, my guess is that the team decides how quickly the picture goes up. I can see the Yankees doing it immediately with their Yankee pride BS.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:22 am 

DocJeanO wrote:
I was annoyed by this last year after the trade. The Yankees and Red Sox photos had Bay, Nady with Red Sox and Yankee caps, but the photos of our new guys had their old Yankee/Red Sox caps still on......pure disrespect of he Pirates. Yes, I know, respect has to be earned! Go Bucs!

If the Pirates won the World Series three years in a row the results would be the same, I think. It has everything to do with the market and nothing to do with talent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:25 am 

Substitute2 wrote:

I hope you're right. I see him as more of a left handed Nady: a guy that you don't mind platooning, or even sending out there every day if you must, but not so good that you don't keep on looking to improve at his position. In other words, a good ballplayer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:32 am 

For what it's worth, check out this page at Baseball Prospectus...Nady's still got his Pirates hat on.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/team_ ... er_sort=B2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:47 pm 

I like Moss and I think he is going to be a solid player. His arm strength is awesome. I've always been a big fan of strong defense and I think he has it. Plus, his bat has some pop that hasn't even been tapped into yet.