Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Fantasy Team.. who should i keep or trade...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

That trades helps you out alot because you needed another closer but all your starting pitching was too good to drop somebody so that was a great trade for you.Plus Lowe wont hold up for a great season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:54 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Plus Lowe wont hold up for a great season.

For fantasy baseball, I am a big believer in "park effect." Braves stadium is reasonably good for pitching, and Lowe can be counted on for wins and decent ERA. (Of course, every time I trade a player in fantasy baseball, he goes on to dominate ...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:32 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
BBF wrote:
I'd take the deal. Even if you don't get a 2nd baseman in another trade, you'll have Tulo and JRoll at SS and MI, so you can afford to carry Ricky Weeks at 2nd. Also with Lopez, Kelly Johnson, and Aaron Hill all available, I wouldn't worry about 2b.

BBF - you must be in the league, since you know who is available.

I did not know that Hill was available. With Toronto's line-up, he is going to score 100 and drive in 80. So the deal can be made and Hill added. Later, try to upgrade second.

No, if you go to the link to his team and click the Players tab on top of the page, you can browse who is available. I can't afford any more teams...I'm barely able to manage the ones I have, and balance a job and a wife. Although...I could quit and get a divorce! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:40 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
yaiks.. try to get it right now. this is fun, but still not completely there

c - Ianetta (still pending for varitek) drop him when Mauer is back or keep him
1b - Carlos Pena (locked) right?
2b - Picking up Hill after trading Pedroia
3b - Evan Longoria
SS - Trade for J-rol
Ui 1st / 3rd - Arod (keep him there, or switch with Longoria, have only 1 DL spot)
Ui 2nd/SS - Ricky Weeks
OF - Manny Ramirez
OF - Brad Hawpe
OF - Nick Swisher (who should stay in OF, who drop for BJ Upton is coming up)
OF - Skip Shumaker
OF - Adam Jones
Utill - Hart
Bench - Pat Burrell
Bench - Jay Bruce
DL - Mauer

and pitching are SP CC, Hamels, Matsusaka, Maholm, Harang, Kershaw, Carpenter (bench)
RP Capps & Frans K Rod & picking up Lindstrom when Lowe is traded

should i drop another starter for a reliever

Am I missing something? Don't you still have Tulo?

I would rotate Tulo, Weeks, and Hill (when you pick him up) between MI and 2B, depending on who is hot. I would also have Burrell and Bruce in the lineup ahead of Jones and Schumaker for now, even though Bruce is kind of cold right now (and Swisher).

I think you should probably drop one of your lesser OF for a CI-eligible guy to play in Arod's place and keep Arod on the bench. You don't want to give up AB's.

And you are in a tough position pitching-wise with both Matsuzaka and Carpenter out. It makes it tough to cash in a starter for a closer, unless you just drop Carpenter and then snag Price later as someone suggested.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 pm 

FYI- Corner infield eligible guys that are available that I like over Swisher include James Loney, Ian Stewart, Edwin Encarnacion, Jason Giambi, and maybe Mark Reynolds. I was thinking Adam Laroche would be another guy on my list, but he is already owned!!!???? In a 7 team league? Is Laroche's mom in your league?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm 

BBF wrote:
FYI- Corner infield eligible guys that are available that I like over Swisher include James Loney, Ian Stewart, Edwin Encarnacion, Jason Giambi, and maybe Mark Reynolds. I was thinking Adam Laroche would be another guy on my list, but he is already owned!!!???? In a 7 team league? Is Laroche's mom in your league?

BBF ... that looks like a list of anti-producers. Adam Laroche would be the best of that group, by a long shot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:39 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
BBF wrote:

BBF ... that looks like a list of anti-producers. Adam Laroche would be the best of that group, by a long shot.

I didn't suggest that any of them are guys to build the team around, but he needs someone to play CI until Arod comes back. Granted, Giambi is worth more in OBP leagues than BA leagues, but the rest are quite good fill-ins. I generally avoid Reynolds and Loney on my teams, but Stewart and Encarn are both starters for me on some of my teams (admittedly in deeper leagues than this).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:45 pm 

You would really have him drop Swisher who is currently hitting .371 with a .914 SLG and has just been handed a starting job? He's even struck out a batter on the mound this year! What more can he do for you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
You would really have him drop Swisher who is currently hitting .371 with a .914 SLG and has just been handed a starting job? He's even struck out a batter on the mound this year! What more can he do for you!

While I don't necessarily think he will continue that pace, you are right that he is performing well, and in a good lineup. Maybe I hang on to Swisher. Actually, if it were me, I might be looking to sell high, given his other OFers, for a position of need. The advantage to Ian Stewart (and why I was thinking of him) is that he is also MI eligible in Yahoo, but now that I see he is listed just as 3B in this ESPN league, I would be less high on him. 25 HR potential from 2b is pretty valuable, from 3b it is run of the mill.

As for being handed a starting job, I've heard that the Yanks are already pursuing one of the Nats OF surplus (Kearns if I heard correctly). George King is also speculating an interest in Jason Repko. Which is to say, that starting job is less than secure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:43 pm 

BBF wrote:
As for being handed a starting job, I've heard that the Yanks are already pursuing one of the Nats OF surplus (Kearns if I heard correctly). George King is also speculating an interest in Jason Repko. Which is to say, that starting job is less than secure.

If the Yankees are seriously considering acquiring either Kearns or Repko to take playing time away from Nick Swisher, then they deserve to lose 90 games. Seriously, Jason Repko is a 5th outfielder and Kearns is just not very good.

Swisher is a guy with defensive problems, no doubt, but can play a corner OF spot and provide 30 HR's, .375 OBP, and about .500 slugging. Neither Repko nor Kearns could ever hope to generate that kind of offense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
BBF wrote:

If the Yankees are seriously considering acquiring either Kearns or Repko to take playing time away from Nick Swisher, then they deserve to lose 90 games. Seriously, Jason Repko is a 5th outfielder and Kearns is just not very good.

Swisher is a guy with defensive problems, no doubt, but can play a corner OF spot and provide 30 HR's, .375 OBP, and about .500 slugging. Neither Repko nor Kearns could ever hope to generate that kind of offense.

I think the Yankees could look at Matt Holliday out in Oakland. He isn't helping the A's much and they could probably get a get a young prospect in return and Holliday is 29. I would take a 22 year old chance prospect over somebody that is overpaid and isn't helping out one bit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I think the Yankees could look at Matt Holliday out in Oakland. He isn't helping the A's much and they could probably get a get a young prospect in return and Holliday is 29. I would take a 22 year old chance prospect over somebody that is overpaid and isn't helping out one bit.

Who do the Yankees have as a remaining prospect? Philip Hughes, maybe. They have traded away their top talent, and that is why they are left with mediocre players when a starter (a zillion dollar free agent, in most instances) gets hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:05 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Who do the Yankees have as a remaining prospect? Philip Hughes, maybe. They have traded away their top talent, and that is why they are left with mediocre players when a starter (a zillion dollar free agent, in most instances) gets hurt.

Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Ian Kennedy. That's about it.

But still, one slump from Swisher and they will panic. When you spend $250 mil, you don't tolerate slumps very well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Very true, but i one came to mind right away and that is outfielder Austin Jackson. They also have catcher Jesus Montero, pitcher Andrew Brackman( but i haven't heard much of how he has been since his Tommy John surgery), pitcher Mark Melancon who could be a great closer, pitcher Dellin Betances( but the Yankees would be dumb to give him up because he has looked too good in the minors for Holliday), and everybody else that they have is junk as far as i think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:15 am 

Either Ian Kennedy or Phil Hughes would be too much to give up and the Yankees should be shot before i would give up one of them. I would try to get rid of Wang first because he doesn't look so good right now.
All these pitchers from Japan get worn out pitching in MLB after a year or two because they play a much easier schedule in Japan.