Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Fantasy Team.. who should i keep or trade...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:30 pm 

Hey Hey.. Ne and my fellow teammembers in holland started our own fantasy competition...
i drafted the following team.. any tips or hints.. who should i drop or pick up if available..

C Varitek BOS
1b Pena TB
2b Pedroia BOS
SS Scutaro TOR
3b Longoria TB
1b/3b Swisher NYY
2b/SS Tulowiski COL
OF Manny LaD
OF Bruce CIN
OF Hawpe COL
OF Shumaker STL
OF Jones.A BAL
UTIL Sanchez PIT
Bench A-ROD NYY
Bench Burrell TB
DL Mauer MIN

Sabathia NYY
Matsuzaka BOS
Hamels PHI
Lowe ATL
Maholm PIT
Harang CIN
Lohse STL
Capps PIT
K-ROD NYM
Carpenter STL

Sorry.. could had made a link to.... but hey.. help me out..

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse? ... eriodId=14

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: My Fantasy Team.. who should i keep or trade...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:35 pm 

Andy Laroche is batting .500 in his last two at bats....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:37 pm 

burghermeister wrote:

that should be a masterfull pick up!!

i just dropped him

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:51 pm 

burghermeister wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:36 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
Hey Hey.. Ne and my fellow teammembers in holland started our own fantasy competition...
i drafted the following team.. any tips or hints.. who should i drop or pick up if available.

If I were you I'd see if I could get a box of used, dirty jockstraps for Varitek. He is toast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 pm 

I see that you are counting on Mauer making a comeback, since Varitek is horrid for fantasy baseball.

I also believe that your production at SS will hurt your team. The problem you face is that C and SS are premium positions - if you recall, when you asked for hints about fantasy drafting, I said get C and SS early. You can get a 1B'man or OF in the 12th round ... you get garbage at C and SS after the 4th or 5th round.

So, move some relief pitching and an OF'er, along with Scutaro, to try and improve your SS. Go after a guy like Furcal, who will give you SB's, runs, and a decent BA.

Play Swisher in the OF, along with Manny and Hawpe. They are solid run producers. Bruce is streaky - when he gets hot, put him in the lineup. Until then, bench time.

Dice-K is on the DL again, and Carpenter is out for at least two weeks, very possibly more, so make sure you have your 4 starters actually pitching. Losing those guys kills some good returns on your starting pitching.

P.S. NL - who was your first pick?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:00 pm 

For starters, replace Varitek with Ianetta. He'll be a better bet to give you production from the C spot until Mauer is back and producing.

I would also grab Corey Hart. He or Burrell should be in your utility spot over Freddy every single day. I also would put Hart in ahead of Schumaker and Adam Jones, though Schumaker might be worth holding on to once he gains MI eligibility.

Tulo is a good SS, but I would be more interested in grabbing Rickie Weeks as a MI over Scutaro. As others have mentioned, you might want to trade a SP for a SS.

As for SP, drop Lohse and pick up Kershaw NOW. I would also look at Scherzer and Volquez, both have more K potential than guys like Lowe and Maholm.

So in summary:

Add Iannetta, Hart, Weeks, Kershaw

Drop Varitek, Sanchez, Scutaro, Lohse.

Trade a SP, or maybe package 2 SP together to get a SS. There are ALWAYS decent replacement pitchers available in a league as small as yours!

Good luck my friend!

EDIT: I just saw you dropped Volquez for Lohse????????!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:04 pm 

hey guys.. thanx for the tips.. i am on it right now..

i picked dustin pedroia as first pick..

well.. bucfan i had the tips in my back of my mind, but when it got started, we had fun chatting, teasing and forgot some tips, due to not paying complete attention..

gonna see who we can pick up and who's available.. i'll post back when changes are made

hugo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm 

Does your league only have 1 DL spot?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 pm 

Ianetta for Varitek DONE

Hart for Sanchez DONE

Weeks for Scutaro DONE

Volquez for Capps DONE

gonna try 2 trade Lowe for an SS

yup only 1 dl spot there

and i proposed J-roll and soria for Lowe and Tulo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:09 pm 

That will work only if the guy is desperate for help with starting pitching. Soria is money right now, due to his incredibly low ERA and massive K numbers for a closer. Add that to his saves and he is one of the top relievers in the game.

Jimmy Rollins is a top 10 fantasy player. His BA, runs, HR's, RBI's and stolen bases are excellent. If your league also tracks walks and OBP, he is money.

In other words, you would make out great with this deal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:05 am 

Bucfan wrote:

That will work only if the guy is desperate for help with starting pitching. Soria is money right now, due to his incredibly low ERA and massive K numbers for a closer. Add that to his saves and he is one of the top relievers in the game.

Jimmy Rollins is a top 10 fantasy player. His BA, runs, HR's, RBI's and stolen bases are excellent. If your league also tracks walks and OBP, he is money.

In other words, you would make out great with this deal.

I have been trying to get Rollins in all 5 of my leagues because he is off to a poor start and there will be somebody out there that lets him go cheap.
I have only played Yahoo fantasy sports, is there a difference in the default scoring system in ESPN fantasy baseball?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:42 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I have only played Yahoo fantasy sports, is there a difference in the default scoring system in ESPN fantasy baseball?

Yes ... some leagues go beyond the "big five" in both batting (BA, R, HR's, SB and H's) and pitching (W, K's, ERA, S and WHIP). The league I am in also includes, for the first time, walks and OBP for hitters, and losses and walks (as a negative) for pitchers. I am not the league commissioner, but you can select the categories to be included, beyond the "big five." The guy running the league opted for more categories.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:10 pm 

the deal is off..

but he proposed JROL & BJ Upton for Lowe & Pedroia

help me out

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:57 pm 

the deal is off..

but he proposed JROL & BJ Upton for Lowe & Pedroia

help me out

Does Upton qualify for second base? If so, he is likely to give you 20 HR's, 30 SB's and 100 runs. Not much drop-off from Pedroia.

If not, then second base is going to be a problem.

As for Lowe - deal high. He is off to a great start, so take advantage. Your starting pitching is pretty solid, and you can always look to add David Price in June. (Watch the transaction wire and snag him as soon as he is made eligible.)

So, if Upton qualifies at 2B (don't know why he would this year, since this is his second season full-time in CF), then I would go for it. Your middle infield of Upton and Rollins would be among the best in your league. Add Mauer to that mix when he returns, and you will dominate at the positions where wins are decided - SS, 2B and C. (I say this because everybody gets production from OF'ers, 3B, and 1B. There are so many good run producers at those positions that a guy like Ludwick can be obtained late, and go on to hit .290, 35 HR's and drive in 100.)

If Upton does not qualify for second, then you would need to find a deal for a second baseman. Keep Upton in your OF for his combination of HR's, SB's and runs - move another OF'er like Bruce or Burrell to get a second baseman to replace Pedroia.

A guy like Kelly Johnson can be obtained relatively cheap. Not Chase Utley, but looks like a 15-20 HR, 15 SB, 100 R's, .285 player.

If your middle infield had Rollins at SS, Johnson at second and you had Mauer behind the plate, along with your productive OF, you will compete.

So, my advice ... see if you can set up a deal for a second baseman, before going ahead, if Upton does not qualify at second. Otherwise, you will play Freddy at 2B. Freddy is a good hitter, but for fantasy baseball purposes his lack of HR's, SB's and R's (compared to league average at the position) puts you at a disadvantage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:26 pm 

I'd take the deal. Even if you don't get a 2nd baseman in another trade, you'll have Tulo and JRoll at SS and MI, so you can afford to carry Ricky Weeks at 2nd. Also with Lopez, Kelly Johnson, and Aaron Hill all available, I wouldn't worry about 2b.

If I were you, I'd look to cut back my bench and grab a few closers. Right now, you are basically punting that category, and with all the free closers on the wire, you could make up a few points by grabbing some. Also, as you are starting to accumulate some depth at OF, maybe trade someone like Burrell for an elite closer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm 

BBF wrote:
I'd take the deal. Even if you don't get a 2nd baseman in another trade, you'll have Tulo and JRoll at SS and MI, so you can afford to carry Ricky Weeks at 2nd. Also with Lopez, Kelly Johnson, and Aaron Hill all available, I wouldn't worry about 2b.

BBF - you must be in the league, since you know who is available.

I did not know that Hill was available. With Toronto's line-up, he is going to score 100 and drive in 80. So the deal can be made and Hill added. Later, try to upgrade second.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:38 pm 

well.. just accepted the trade..

for now at 2nd base i have weeks.. i could add 2b Kelly Johnson, Orlando Hudson, Freddy, Scutaro or Hill...

available closers are Ziegler, Morrow, Lindstrom..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:45 pm 

available closers are Ziegler, Morrow, Lindstrom..

Lindstrom, since (1) the Marlins are winning so he will get save chances and (2) he will get you K's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:17 pm 

yaiks.. try to get it right now. this is fun, but still not completely there

c - Ianetta (still pending for varitek) drop him when Mauer is back or keep him
1b - Carlos Pena (locked) right?
2b - Picking up Hill after trading Pedroia
3b - Evan Longoria
SS - Trade for J-rol
Ui 1st / 3rd - Arod (keep him there, or switch with Longoria, have only 1 DL spot)
Ui 2nd/SS - Ricky Weeks
OF - Manny Ramirez
OF - Brad Hawpe
OF - Nick Swisher (who should stay in OF, who drop for BJ Upton is coming up)
OF - Skip Shumaker
OF - Adam Jones
Utill - Hart
Bench - Pat Burrell
Bench - Jay Bruce
DL - Mauer

and pitching are SP CC, Hamels, Matsusaka, Maholm, Harang, Kershaw, Carpenter (bench)
RP Capps & Frans K Rod & picking up Lindstrom when Lowe is traded

should i drop another starter for a reliever