Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't buy a plane ticket yet . . .
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 am 

I'm guessing that allowing 11 baserunners in 5 innings won't earn Gorzo a quick plane ride back to Pittsburgh. As for Meek, hitless is good but walking three in two innings is . . . . yuck. From the PPG Blog:

INDIANAPOLIS (3-5) beat Louisville, 4-2. LHP Tom Gorzelanny (0-0, 4.09) allowed two runs and eight hits in five innings. He struck out three, walked three and threw 57 of 89 pitches for strikes. RHP Evan Meek (0.00) pitched two scoreless, hitless innings of relief. He struck out one, walked three. 3B Neil Walker (.243) hit his second home run, a two-run shot, and went 1 for 4. That followed a 1-for-14 slump. CF Andrew McCutchen (.278) went 1 for 4 with a steal.

Post subject: Re: Don't buy a plane ticket yet . . .
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:04 am 

Dumatrait's return will be met with much fanfare.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:15 pm 

Dumatrait is the key. If he preforms well we don't lose 100 games and he is the third best starter on the team behind Maholm and Duke and he will pass Snell. If he preforms poorly he will guarentee us a 100 loss season, and he will drop to the Oldendorf and Karstens catagory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:22 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Dumatrait is the key. If he preforms well we don't lose 100 games and he is the third best starter on the team behind Maholm and Duke and he will pass Snell. If he preforms poorly he will guarentee us a 100 loss season, and he will drop to the Oldendorf and Karstens catagory.

If Dumatrait can perform like he did last April and May, he will be a welcomed addition. If he performs like he has during any part of career that doesn't include last April and May, it will be much of the same for this struggling Pirate rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:31 pm 

Phil just needs to get healthy now so we can see if last season was real...

I just wonder how long he's going to need to rehab before he's ready for the Majors...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:39 pm 

Alexandria Dukes wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

If Dumatrait can perform like he did last April and May, he will be a welcomed addition. If he performs like he has during any part of career that doesn't include last April and May, it will be much of the same for this struggling Pirate rotation.

I am fascinated that people expect Dumatrait to perform as he did for those 2 months when his career just doesn't support it. MAYBE he is a #5 starter until (if?) Gorzo gets himself fixed, but he certainly isn't going to be a key to this rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 pm 

BBF wrote:
I am fascinated that people expect Dumatrait to perform as he did for those 2 months when his career just doesn't support it. MAYBE he is a #5 starter until (if?) Gorzo gets himself fixed, but he certainly isn't going to be a key to this rotation.

Well, if it curbs your fascination a little, I think most hold him in high regard not because he's guaranteed to be good, but because he should be better than Karstens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:50 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

Well, if it curbs your fascination a little, I think most hold him in high regard not because he's guaranteed to be good, but because he should be better than Karstens.

Even that belief does not hold a whole lot of water. Look at what each did last year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:35 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

I don't see any reason to believe that he's any better than Karstens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

Well, unlike Karstens, Dumatrait actually CAN throw his fastball through a wet paper bag. He has an above average curve and a passable changeup. The downside is control but if he can start locating better he's way ahead of the soft tossing, and very hittable Karstens. Karstens ONLY chance at significance is to develop his currently lame slider.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 am 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Well, unlike Karstens, Dumatrait actually CAN throw his fastball through a wet paper bag. He has an above average curve and a passable changeup. The downside is control but if he can start locating better he's way ahead of the soft tossing, and very hittable Karstens. Karstens ONLY chance at significance is to develop his currently lame slider.

Phil Dumatrait's career ERA+: 60
Jeff Karsten's career ERA+: 87

Granted, both from small sample sizes, 96 and 112 innings respectively.

IMO, neither has much of a future as a starter in the major leagues. Dumatrait might turn into a decent reliever if he manages to eliminate about 3 walks per nine innings, but he'll be 27 in July. Given his age and the fact that he's coming off of an injury, I don't see that happening. On the other hand, I've seen stranger things happen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:06 am 

Dumatrait can work on mechanics with Kerrigan and maybe get better. Karstens will never add 7-8 mph on his fastball. That's really what I'm basing my hope on.