Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Important question for the Board
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:34 pm 

What kind of travel time am I looking at from the Harrisburg PA airport to PNC? My Rand McNally tells me that Harrisburg to Pittsburgh is 204 miles. Can I make the trip in 3 hours? If my flight into Harrisburg landed at noon . . . . could I be in Pittsburgh by 4:00 p.m.? Looks like I'd take I-76 . . . has to be an easy trip, doesn't it?

Post subject: Re: Important question for the Board
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:37 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
What kind of travel time am I looking at from the Harrisburg PA airport to PNC? My Rand McNally tells me that Harrisburg to Pittsburgh is 204 miles. Can I make the trip in 3 hours? If my flight into Harrisburg landed at noon . . . . could I be in Pittsburgh by 4:00 p.m.? Looks like I'd take I-76 . . . has to be an easy trip, doesn't it?

Depending on your speed...I did Johnstown to Harrisburg in 2 hours but did 80 mph on the Turnpike...

I spent about 80 minutes on the turnpike, Its probably another 60 minutes on the turnpike to Pittsburgh...

I think you could do it in 3 hours

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 pm 

You can make it in 3 1/2 pretty easily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:46 pm 

No.9, I know that it is exactly 1 hr and 30 minutes from the breezwood exit on the turnpike(76) to the Pittsburgh exit. I am not sure how many miles it is from the breezwood exit to Harrisburg. I've traveled that leg about 50 times and I found that whether I speed or go about 5-10 mph over the limit there is no difference in the travel time. Its wierd but proven. It takes me 3 hrs and 45 minutes to get from Wash D.C. to Pittsburgh and I believe that Harrisburgh is closer.

From my house to my parents house its 254 miles, so you are saying its 204, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting there around 3hrs drive time. Be careful on the turnpike, with the state government low on money there must have been 20 some cops on my way home for Easter. Also, watch the change in speed limits, it happens frequently and sometimes its not marked all that well.

Thats what I got, I hope that helps at least some.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:51 pm 

Account for time getting lost and trying to find somewhere to park. It is always better to be early than to be late.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:58 pm 

Thanks for the help everyone. Helps me with my scheduling something in pretty short order and - of course - being within 3 1/2 hours of PNC makes it pretty enticing to add some extra driving in my schedule. It may cost me a 1/2 day of billable work but it would be well worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:09 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone. Helps me with my scheduling something in pretty short order and - of course - being within 3 1/2 hours of PNC makes it pretty enticing to add some extra driving in my schedule. It may cost me a 1/2 day of billable work but it would be well worth it.

What game are you going to. Are you going to tomorrow's game?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:48 pm 

What will make or break the trip will be the last 15 miles from 376 to Pittsburgh. Rush hour and the Squirrel Hill Tunnels do not mix. Plus then you got to get over to the North Shore. Another feat during rush hour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

You could possibly make it...just watch for construction and traffic on the parkway coming in. It may be cutting it close. If it were me I would try to leave more time to drive.

http://www.worldwidepittsburgh.com/page/signup.cfm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nah, he'll be going against traffic in the tunnels coming into town, and to the lovely ZelieMimi's downtown hotel where the attentive staff will whisk No. 9 in their special limo to the ballpark.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:56 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Nah, he'll be going against traffic in the tunnels coming into town, and to the lovely ZelieMimi's downtown hotel where the attentive staff will whisk No. 9 in their special limo to the ballpark.

ZM

It won't be as bad, but there will be a slow down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
It may cost me a 1/2 day of billable work but it would be well worth it.

Business in Pennsylvania? Or coming in for the game?

The fact that Pirate fans still give up work, spare time, etc. is remarkable. Really amazing. I believe that Huntington is aware of this, and really wants to improve the team.

Some day soon, I hope, Pedro Alvarez, Andrew McCutchen, Jose Tabata, Nate McLouth, Brian Friday, Ryan Doumit, etc. will make these other teams pay. Oh yeah, run Russ Ortiz and his ilk out there, and you will pay.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:05 am 

No. 9 wrote:

Having made the trip from Jersey to Pittsburgh multiple times, I can say that you can definitely make H-burgh to P-burgh in 3 hours. However, you may have to break a few speed limit laws in the process. ;) A better target travel time is 3.5 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 am 

Argentum wrote:
What will make or break the trip will be the last 15 miles from 376 to Pittsburgh. Rush hour and the Squirrel Hill Tunnels do not mix. Plus then you got to get over to the North Shore. Another feat during rush hour.

I agree with this 100%. I'm only 45 minutes out of Pittsburgh and i still get lost everytime. I got lost somewhere in Aspen before and i women yelled at me out here window haven't you ever been to Aspen before *sshole, and i yelled back at her no. I still don't know where i was but there was alot of construction at the time and there was a detour everywhere. It was for the Yankees series last summer.
Leave early. I have left were i thought i had plenty of time and not made it there until the 3rd inning. Pittsburgh is a very poor set up city, and because of all the bridges that criss cross and the overpasses my GPS system kept telling me i was on a different road than i was. Then it told me i was in the river at one point. Both the one on my phone and in my Buick were saying the same thing and they are made by completely different companies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:55 am 

Argentum wrote:

Because of this, I might even recommend staying on the turnpike past Monroeville and bringing 28 in. Its a little longer mileage-wise, but inbound 28 isn't bad on the evening rush, while inbound 376 can be very bad (its hit or miss). Plus, 28 drops you right on the north shore. It would probably be a push time-wise, but much easier to find your way coming from out of town.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:06 am 

BBF, Do you mean having him get off at the New Kensington exit? I think that would be so much easier... 28 is right there...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:04 am 

Colin21 wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Colin -
Looks like I'll be rolling into the 'Burgh on Tuesday afternoon (hoping to get there by 4:00 p.m.; I land in Harrisburg at noon). Marlins against Karstens . . . hmmmm . . . . no matter, it will be a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:07 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Colin -
Looks like I'll be rolling into the 'Burgh on Tuesday afternoon (hoping to get there by 4:00 p.m.; I land in Harrisburg at noon). Marlins against Karstens . . . hmmmm . . . . no matter, it will be a blast.

Well I don't know whether to call it luck or very good planning on your part, but the Pens will playing in Philly that night. Otherwise you would have been screwed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:09 am 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
It may cost me a 1/2 day of billable work but it would be well worth it.

Business in Pennsylvania? Or coming in for the game?

The fact that Pirate fans still give up work, spare time, etc. is remarkable. Really amazing. I believe that Huntington is aware of this, and really wants to improve the team.

Some day soon, I hope, Pedro Alvarez, Andrew McCutchen, Jose Tabata, Nate McLouth, Brian Friday, Ryan Doumit, etc. will make these other teams pay. Oh yeah, run Russ Ortiz and his ilk out there, and you will pay.

Document examination in Harrisburg on a fairly major product performance/product liability dispute. My client just got added to the party (along with 8 others) because the plaintiff is looking for $26M in damages and the key defendant has a discharge in bankruptcy with the exception of $500,000 in insurance coverage. The plaintiff is trying to bring in every Tom, Dick and Harry it can to increase the potential pool of recovery . . . 160 boxes just sitting there waiting for me to parse through them . . . . yawn. But, if I get a trip to PNC out of it, well worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Does that limo happen to be similar to the limo that Charlie Sheen was provided in Wall Street??? I'd prefer Scarlett Johannsen instead of Darryl Hannah.