Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SS of the Future.
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:53 pm 

Ryann wrote:
But is alvarez as good as wieters was?

Since he is not a switch-hitting catcher, the answer is no.

And Wieters was seen as a big-time hitter who could become a clean-up guy. Alvarez is a notch below that, but is still the best hitter in this draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:31 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
But is alvarez as good as wieters was?

Since he is not a switch-hitting catcher, the answer is no.

And Wieters was seen as a big-time hitter who could become a clean-up guy. Alvarez is a notch below that, but is still the best hitter in this draft.

Bring him on, I say.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:49 pm 

Then where is neil walker suppose to play?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:00 pm 
Ryann wrote:
Then where is neil walker suppose to play?

You worry about that when the time comes. I think you bring in as many good players as possible at every position. Injuries happen, flops happen, you move guys, you make trades, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 pm 

I did a little research and I believe beckham would be the better pick. Pirates need a guy like beckham to build the team around he has really good speed hits for average and has some pop. We dont need to 3rd basemen next year and I think we need a ss for the future.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I did a little research and I believe beckham would be the better pick. Pirates need a guy like beckham to build the team around he has really good speed hits for average and has some pop. We dont need to 3rd basemen next year and I think we need a ss for the future.

Alvarez is the better hitter. Beckham is looked at as a genuine prospect, but will not hit 25 HR's and slug .500+. Alvarez could do both if he progresses as anticipated.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 pm 

Ryann wrote:

First, there's no guarantee that Alvarez will be a third baseman if and when he reaches the majors. In fact, scouts profile him as a first baseman.

Second, it's unlikely that Alvarez will reach the majors next year. He'll likely need some seasoning on the farm for at least a year. It is certainly possible that he'd reach the majors in a year, but quite unlikely. Therefore, saying that "we don't need to [sic] 3rd basemen next year" makes the faulty assumption that Alvarez will be ready in 2009.

Third, even if Alvarez were to reach the majors as a 3B while we still have Walker, that's a problem that's easily solved: move one of them. Either move Alvarez across the diamond or to the outfield, or trade Walker to a different team. There's no reason why we couldn't hold on to both players, and there's no reason why we would not be able to trade one for a more useful piece.

The current makeup of the big league team should not have that much of an effect on the team's draft choices. Just like in football, drafting based on positional need usually works out poorly. The Pirates should draft the best player available, whoever that may be.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:57 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

First, there's no guarantee that Alvarez will be a third baseman if and when he reaches the majors. In fact, scouts profile him as a first baseman.

Second, it's unlikely that Alvarez will reach the majors next year. He'll likely need some seasoning on the farm for at least a year. It is certainly possible that he'd reach the majors in a year, but quite unlikely. Therefore, saying that "we don't need to [sic] 3rd basemen next year" makes the faulty assumption that Alvarez will be ready in 2009.

Third, even if Alvarez were to reach the majors as a 3B while we still have Walker, that's a problem that's easily solved: move one of them. Either move Alvarez across the diamond or to the outfield, or trade Walker to a different team. There's no reason why we couldn't hold on to both players, and there's no reason why we would not be able to trade one for a more useful piece.

The current makeup of the big league team should not have that much of an effect on the team's draft choices. Just like in football, drafting based on positional need usually works out poorly. The Pirates should draft the best player available, whoever that may be.

Agreed on all accounts. Plus nothing is guaranteed in baseball, Walker isnt exactly blowing the cover off the ball so I dont think we should just not draft someone because Neil Walker, who has never played a major league game, is also at 3rd base. The way I look at it, the only positions that we have set are in Left and Center field with Mccutchen and Mclouth. Even saying that though Mccutchen is not yet proven, this team just needs so much, I dont think anyone should be handed anything in the organization..

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:00 pm 

I agree with Econo-- we need the best player possible. I don't know who that is, but everything else is secondary to getting the best possible player.

Forget his position, his agent, or his propensity for playing chess (or chest), let's get the best kid-- period.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:29 pm 

But still beckham could be the best kid. I think the pirates need 5 tool players for their team, and alvarez is not a 5 tool guy. Still you cant go that bad with either one, their is positives for each one and not a ton of negatives. Lets just hope they dont screw up the draft and grab a pitcher.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... mc=alvarez

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... c=tbeckham

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm 

Ryann wrote:
But still beckham could be the best kid. I think the pirates need 5 tool players for their team, and alvarez is not a 5 tool guy. Still you cant go that bad with either one, their is positives for each one and not a ton of negatives. Lets just hope they dont screw up the draft and grab a pitcher.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... mc=alvarez

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... c=tbeckham

While 5 tool players are nice, sometimes you got to go with a ballplayer, and Alvarez looks like he's a ballplayer who can hit, and hit well...
Right now management is in a corner to where they need to figure out who they think is going to be the best player available and will have the most success in Pittsburgh

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, if Beckham CAN be considered the best of the bunch, and he IS a SS, and YOU have a dearth of SS....

ZM

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:00 pm 

How about eric hosmer...No but seriously alvarez and beckham will help the team so pick one there about =.