Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's Go With The Extra Bat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:43 am 

For the most part, the starters have done a very good job. Karstens will be hitting the mound today for the very first time, 9 games into the season. With that, and early season off-days and rainouts, I believe the Bucs should drop a pitcher, and not a position player when they add Young to the active roster.

Of course, I have NEVER been a proponent of the 12 man pitching staff.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Let's Go With The Extra Bat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 am 

Animal wrote:
For the most part, the starters have done a very good job. Karstens will be hitting the mound today for the very first time, 9 games into the season. With that, and early season off-days and rainouts, I believe the Bucs should drop a pitcher, and not a position player when they add Young to the active roster.

Thoughts?

Who?
If any pitcher gets sent down it should be Veal but im not sure if he would have to clear waivers or not first to be sent to the minors, but i still wouldn't see that as much of a loss even if another teams picks him up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:49 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:

Thoughts?

Who?
If any pitcher gets sent down it should be Veal but im not sure if he would have to clear waivers or not first to be sent to the minors, but i still wouldn't see that as much of a loss even if another teams picks him up.

Can't send Veal anywhere, as a Rule 5 player he must remain on the active roster for the entire season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:33 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:

Thoughts?

Who?

Can't send Veal anywhere, as a Rule 5 player he must remain on the active roster for the entire season.

I forgot Veal was a Rule 5. I don't think any other pitcher deserves to be sent down as of right now and i think it will have to be a bat sent down, and i think it will be Luis Cruz.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:27 pm 

The Pirates are working with an 11 1/2 man staff, since Veal is not trusted in any close game. Sending somebody like Chavez down means the Pirates would have a 10-man pitching staff.

That is really the problem with the Rule 5 player. But for having to use a spot for Veal, I agree that an 11-man staff is preferable. Having just 5 bench players - one of whom is the back-up catcher and therefore not available as a pinch hitter - really limits what Russell can do in terms of pinch hitting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:35 pm 

Give veal the chance. Although he has done better than expected so far, send Chavez out. He is never any further away than a phone call.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:45 pm 

Animal wrote:
Although he has done better than expected so far, send Chavez out. He is never any further away than a phone call.

Does anybody else think that Chavez looks like a young Bob Walk? Not in terms of pitching style, but actually the way he looks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:00 pm 

Animal wrote:

Thoughts?

I hate the 12 man staff like a preacher hates sin. On top of that, most of the seven relievers are so bad that they actually liabilities.