Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking of Young...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:35 am 

I don't know a whole lot at him, but I wonder if he will get a shot at competing with Moss for a starting position?

While Moss has performed better in the majors, Young was very good in the minors, putting up better numbers than Moss. He is a little older. In 06, Young hit .337 at AAA with 17 HR 97 RBI and a .955 OPS. In '06 he had 18 HR and 98 RBI. He had career minor league average of .303 and OPS of .877.

On the surface, this looked to me like the pickup of nothing more than a bench guy. But they might really take a look at Young.

Post subject: Re: Speaking of Young...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am 

Animal wrote:
I don't know a whole lot at him, but I wonder if he will get a shot at competing with Moss for a starting position?

While Moss has performed better in the majors, Young was very good in the minors, putting up better numbers than Moss. He is a little older. In 06, Young hit .337 at AAA with 17 HR 97 RBI and a .955 OPS. In '06 he had 18 HR and 98 RBI. He had career minor league average of .303 and OPS of .877.

On the surface, this looked to me like the pickup of nothing more than a bench guy. But they might really take a look at Young.

He was on the Dodgers major league roster for most of last year and didn't do much at all. I think he is going to be a solid bench player though. It is never to much of a risk to take on trying to find somebody that is a diamond in the rough rather than take somebody along the lines of Luis Gonzalez who is just trying to make a team to try to get another year in before he retires. I'm glad we made this move instead of getting another washed up has been.

Post subject: Re: Speaking of Young...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:48 pm 

If the Pirates are good at all, Delwyn Young will be a part-time player. He is a good pinch hitter, substitute, and role player. Pirates have better hitters on the roster or in the minors (McLouth, McCutchen, Tabata, etc.).