Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roster Move Yet??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 am 

I wonder if there is any chance that Andy LaRoche will get sent out to get playing time every day, although that is going to be difficult with Walker at AAA.

Post subject: Re: Roster Move Yet??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:52 am 

Animal wrote:
I wonder if there is any chance that Andy LaRoche will get sent out to get playing time every day, although that is going to be difficult with Walker at AAA.

If that happens, Huntington is making a huge mistake. There's no reason for the Bucs to be playing Vazquez regularly at 3rd. I have my doubts that NH would do such a thing, especially this early in the season.

I view this as a problem with the manager. Hey JR, let the kid play!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:54 am 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

If that happens, Huntington is making a huge mistake. There's no reason for the Bucs to be playing Vazquez regularly at 3rd. I have my doubts that NH would do such a thing, especially this early in the season.

I view this as a problem with the manager. Hey JR, let the kid play!

I agree. They need to let him play and sink or sail on his own. I'm not saying he deserves a chance for he entire season if he doesn't produce, but he needs a real chance longer than part-time duty for a week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:34 am 

I agree i'm not the biggest Andy LaRoche fan as everybody knows but i want to see him get good playing time and a good chance. If he can't get that with the Pirates right now maybe he should be moved to Triple-A where he will get everyday starts. I don't think now is the time to send him down though. He deserves atleast a full month of starting time before a decision is made about him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:28 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I agree i'm not the biggest Andy LaRoche fan as everybody knows but i want to see him get good playing time and a good chance. If he can't get that with the Pirates right now maybe he should be moved to Triple-A where he will get everyday starts. I don't think now is the time to send him down though. He deserves atleast a full month of starting time before a decision is made about him.

I agree. A guy can't get it going playing a day or two, then sitting a day or two. Although I think if he were sent down, we may see Hinske getting some starts at 3b, along with Vasquez. I wonder if Young can play 3b?

With Russell, I don't think he is trying to punish Andy, I just think he thinks the days off will help clear his head.

And if you would send him down, what do you do with Neil Walker??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:34 am 

Animal wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I agree. A guy can't get it going playing a day or two, then sitting a day or two. Although I think if he were sent down, we may see Hinske getting some starts at 3b, along with Vasquez. I wonder if Young can play 3b?

With Russell, I don't think he is trying to punish Andy, I just think he thinks the days off will help clear his head.

And if you would send him down, what do you do with Neil Walker??

Young played some 2nd base but never any 3rd and does Hinske still have that eye problem?
If he doesn't i would say he would be the one who gets the regular starts at 3rd if they make a move with Andy LaRoche and keep Vasquez on the bench and as a back up because we could have Monroe and Young to back up in the outfield and Vasquez plays most of the infield positions which is valuable to a bench.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 am 

Forget the $50, let Andy play!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:19 am 

I speculated on the air who the Pirates would send to Triple-A and said LaRoche could be a candidate, but it doesn't make any sense since Walker is there and neither one of the guys would get the playing time they need.

As bad as the kid has looked, he needs to play everyday for a month or two. If his numbers don't cut the mustard, you cut him loose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:39 am 

curveradio wrote:
I speculated on the air who the Pirates would send to Triple-A and said LaRoche could be a candidate, but it doesn't make any sense since Walker is there and neither one of the guys would get the playing time they need.

As bad as the kid has looked, he needs to play everyday for a month or two. If his numbers don't cut the mustard, you cut him loose.

Do you think there is any chance of Walker getting traded if they do decide to make a move to send LaRoche to the minors. I have heard this is quite a good bit of interest for Walker. The Rays were one of the teams that were mentioned. I don't know if they still have interest or not but there was a list of about 5 or 6 teams that i read.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 am 

It makes sense to send Cruz down. Vazquez can back up short, and both he and Young can back up second.

At third, it makes sense to leave things as they are. Andy needs time to prove what he can (or cannot) do.
At some point either he or Walker might be traded, but not now.

We also need to consider who the first baseman will be, since Adam's time here is growing short.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 am 

Hinske is left handed and Vazquez is left handed too...Both suck against lefty pitching and Freddy probably cant throw the ball that far across the diamond anymore...

Sending Cruz down puts alot of stress on Vazquez making him your only utility infielder, the only benefit from that is Andy will get most of the starts at 3rd then(maybe)...It needs to be an OFer that goes since you're basically adding an OFer and Monroe makes the best sense...

Maybe there is a trade in the works somewhere that will shore up this situation...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:39 pm 

I agree about LaRoche. You traded for him to be your third baseman. Vazquez is clearly a bench guy. So let him play and find out about him. They need to do that with all of their young guys. This should be an evaluation year on a lot of these young guys.

Even though they said not, I wonder if his back is still a bigger issue...

Post subject: Play LaRoche The Younger...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:41 pm 

Give him some solid playing time. If he doesn't improve and Walker continues to do well at AAA, make the switch. Bring Walker up and send LaRoche down.

I don't believe there is any way Walker gets traded unless it is a knockout offer.

It also would not surprise me to see Adam LaRoche get extended by the Bucs.

Post subject: Re: Play LaRoche The Younger...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 pm 

Animal wrote:
I don't believe there is any way Walker gets traded unless it is a knockout offer.

Other teams are not going to make a significant offer for Walker. Pirates are better off keeping him to see how he develops.

His defense is reportedly good. Walker is a switch-hitter with power potential. Letting him develop to see where he winds up is better than trading him for a guy with lower potential.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:54 pm 

Animal wrote:

No chance. LaRoche will get every opportunity to turn things around.

Post subject: Re: Play LaRoche The Younger...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 pm 

Animal wrote:
Give him some solid playing time. If he doesn't improve and Walker continues to do well at AAA, make the switch. Bring Walker up and send LaRoche down.

It also would not surprise me to see Adam LaRoche get extended by the Bucs.

It sure would surprise me, given his age and likely price. He already runs like he's carrying a house on his back and he has old player skills. I wouldn't bet that he's still an every day player three years from now.