Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: April 15, 2009 Astros at Pirates...TAX DAY! :(
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:14 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
I still don't understand the double switch, outside of the cynic rationale that JR just doesn't like Andy.

When Monroe was caught trying to advance, the pinch hitter (Moss) was burned. He was out of the game, unless he was going to pitch the next inning.

Pirates wanted to have the reliever (Chavez) go more than one inning. That meant Russell needed to use a double switch, to have a position player to lead off in the bottom of the 7th. Otherwise, the choice was to have the reliever go just one inning, or have the reliever bat.

Wow i was with Wilton before you explained that one Bucfan. Thanks, it helped me understand it to. I was lost on why they did it also.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 am 

IMO, JR needs to stay with Andy. He has commented that Andy is fine and just needs confidence, yet he continually shows no trust or confidence in him. He's never going to be a player without the chance to be a player. Stop messing with his mind and play him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 am 

What's more important? having a reliever who probably won't be with us in another month pitch another inning or seeing if the guy who just hit the at'em ball gets a chance to get going?

If he did that cuz he doesn't like changing pitchers so often, he's wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am 

Sorry, still disagree with the move. Why, after an off day does Chavez have to pitch more than an inning? Also, Cruz could have taken the pitchers spot with Andy staying in the game. Also also, still doesn't explain why Ohlendorf couldn't have pitched the 6th saving the secret weapon Chavez for the 7th..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 am 

I may be a conspiracy theorist or something but the whole game from the lineup to the substitutions almost seemed like the Pirates were trying to figure out who they were going to remove from the active roster in lue of Young.

I think Russell was too quick to substitute because he was already short on the bench with Jack breaking his fingernail. Although Jack later pinch hit, it was apparent he couldn't play the field. Bringing the lefty Moss in to face the lefty Hampton(who was making lefties look silly last night) and removing Andy from the game was not the right call. Andy was a much needed RH bat against Hampton.

The only other explaination for the quick hook on Andy was that the Pirates may have found out that Vasquez is a liability at SS. He wasn't able to pick a bouncing ball to his right that Jack would have been able to get to. But that still doesn't explain why Vasquez a lefty remained in the game against Hampton.

I usually don't complain about substitutions and manager decisions but last night had a wierd feel. I am still not sure what Russell was trying to accomplish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Calling Andy LaRoche a RH bat at this point is a bit oxymoronic.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Calling Andy LaRoche a RH bat at this point is a bit oxymoronic.

ZM

Especially when he's not being given ample playing time.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:26 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I usually don't complain about substitutions and manager decisions but last night had a wierd feel. I am still not sure what Russell was trying to accomplish.

Well if he was trying to send the signal to LaRoche that he is third in line after Vazquez and Cruz, mission accomplished! Seriously, lets end this now, send Andy to AAA, then see if we can get Jose Hernandez to leave his pool cleaning job at the Tracy residence to fill his spot. Then JR can double switch himself into oblivion.

Yeah, I'm a bit irked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 am 

Argentum wrote:
Sorry, still disagree with the move. Why, after an off day does Chavez have to pitch more than an inning?

This sums up my feelings. However, for the bullpen, it was essentially 2 off days, given Duke's complete game Monday. Maybe they don't expect much from Karstens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:52 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

He's being given plenty of chances. He has to do something with it. JR's job is not to make Andy happy, it is to win games.

That the Pirates are treating him this way should give you pause to think about his abilities, not complain about his playing time. Especially since the Dodgers did the same thing.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:56 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

He's being given plenty of chances. He has to do something with it. JR's job is not to make Andy happy, it is to win games.

That the Pirates are treating him this way should give you pause to think about his abilities, not complain about his playing time. Especially since the Dodgers did the same thing.

ZM

"Chances" early in a season cannot help make a determining factor for whether a player is going to make it or not. Looking over his shoulder every time he is about to take the field is no way to gain confidence. Good thing the Pirates are patient enough to stick with Adam LaRoche during April and May or they'd never find out he hits a ton as the season wears on.

Let Andy play, every day!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

He's being given plenty of chances.

No, he's really not. He hit the ball hard a few times last night but right at people. It's not like he's striking out. Those hit balls can't continue to be caught all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:01 am 

Argentum wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

No, he's really not. He hit the ball hard a few times last night but right at people. It's not like he's striking out. Those hit balls can't continue to be caught all the time.

Again... my thoughts exactly. What the heck dude, what are you doing in my head this morning?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Again... my thoughts exactly. What the heck dude, what are you doing in my head this morning?

Youuuuuuu are getting sleeeeeepy...........don't forget to endorse your income tax refund check before forwarding it to me!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 am 

Argentum wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Youuuuuuu are getting sleeeeeepy...........don't forget to endorse your income tax refund check before forwarding it to me!

There is no wayyyyyyyyy......... I'd doooooo thaaat... How do you spell your name again??? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:39 am 

Argentum wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

LOL. Plenty of chances = 15 PAs over 8 games.

We get it, ZM. You are the sole inhabitant of a parallel universe in which Neil Walker is a better ballplayer than Andy LaRoche. This, I suppose, is something to be proud of.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:24 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Argentum wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

There is no wayyyyyyyyy......... I'd doooooo thaaat... How do you spell your name again??? :shock:

I'd be more than willing to let you take on my IRS Payments...My tattoo business despite being open only 8 months in 2008 showed profits in the worst economy since Hoover wasnt just a Vacuum Cleaner and owe $3000!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:41 am 

The LaRoche debate is the Craig Wilson ghost of season's past.
Don't lose sight of the fact that DK has reported that his back injury is far from settled. None of us have any idea of what dynamic is playing out on a day-to-day basis with his health, his attitude and his approach to improving his play.

Its early people. Come off the ledge. JR has publically stated many times that he has not given up on Andy and that Andy is still "the starter." He's a big boy, he can handle this. Andy's future as a major league player does not hinge on whether he was replaced in a double switch in the 8th game of the year or whether he is on the bench for a game when a right handed pitcher is on the mound.

I'll get this out there right now: I want Andy LaRoche to succeed and be capable of putting up the type of numbers that he did in the minor leagues. I want that badly because it would make the Bucco's offense much, much better.

That being written . . . there is a body of evidence that is beginning to accumulate that should cause everyone some concerns. First, from what has been reported, the Dodgers offered little resistance to trading him after he was consistently ranked as one of their best prospects and one of the best prospects in baseball. Second, after a short stint in the majors with the Dodgers, the club apparently had serious concerns about his ability to make the jump from AAA. Third, scouting reports on LaRoche indicated concerns about his ability to handle good major league pitching; the reports seem to suggest that he might be fine against #4 or #5 starters, but that he would struggle mightily against the top half of rotations. Fourth, as DK has recently reported, there are some that are "laughing" right now about the LaRoche situation. Fifth, look at what kind of pitches LaRoche has been chasing. Plate discipline, pitch recognition are not strong points right now and he is being exploited. Sixth, the defensive lapses suggest (to me) that the kid has a problem maintaining concentration or focus. Finally, this is not simply based on 2009 performance. He is starting to accumulate a sufficient sample on which evaluations can be made. You can point to an injury here or there but, if performance when he is not injured matches performance when he was supposedly recovering from an injury, is that really an excuse (or reason) anymore?

Also, let's also not lose sight of the fact that Andy likely did not warm the hearts of management when he admitted that he didn't follow his offseason training regime. If (and I repeat "IF") there is any suggestion that his slow start is related to back issues which are out of control due to Andy's lax and lazy offseason training, I'm certain that JR et al are pretty ticked off about that. As well they should be. Pretty unprofessional on Andy's part.

Now, that being written . . . he gets his first hit today. Fearless prediction. And, much to my surprise, Karstens will deliver a win today and the Bucs will be 5-4 heading into the weekend series with Maholm, Snell and Duke ready to take on the hated Braves. Book it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:52 am 

No. 9-

Your mention of Andy's focus reminded me...doesn't his big brother take meds for ADD? Does that stuff run in the family? It would be useful if there were someone on the board that was in the medical profession that knew the answers to that kind of stuff... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 am 

BBF wrote:
No. 9-

Your mention of Andy's focus reminded me...doesn't his big brother take meds for ADD? Does that stuff run in the family? It would be useful if there were someone on the board that was in the medical profession that knew the answers to that kind of stuff... ;)

Sorry, but I only pretend to be a Doctor when I'm at the bars trying to get easy women to come home with me...hahaha

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next