Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: April 15, 2009 Astros at Pirates...TAX DAY! :(
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:37 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Ok - Trying to play catch up via the Gameday interface. Ohlendorf makes it through 5 on 85 pitches, from what I can tell the fifth wasn't too bad for him. Why the double switch? Did JR decide he needed Chavez's thunderstick in there as a departing gift?

Quite a puzzling move. Ohlendorf was scuffling and Chavez was warming for 3 innings, looking like Russell was itching to get him in the game. The Pirates got a few on and then pinch hit with Moss, and that puzzled me because Hampton was getting a generous strike zone and basically killing leftys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:39 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Argentum wrote:
Ok - Trying to play catch up via the Gameday interface. Ohlendorf makes it through 5 on 85 pitches, from what I can tell the fifth wasn't too bad for him. Why the double switch? Did JR decide he needed Chavez's thunderstick in there as a departing gift?

Quite a puzzling move. Ohlendorf was scuffling and Chavez was warming for 3 innings, looking like Russell was itching to get him in the game. The Pirates got a few on and then pinch hit with Moss, and that puzzled me because Hampton was getting a generous strike zone and basically killing leftys.

Didn't matter though because Monroe is brain dead and tried to steal 2nd with a PH up, basically wasting Moss.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:41 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

All I have to go off of is Gameday, so without any other data, I'll hesitently say that I think JR is dicking around with the young LaRoche. Don't like that move at all. I guess he'll find his stroke watching the useless Cruz from the bench.

Last edited by Argentum on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm 

He did the right thing on the double switch.

And yes, these Astros announcers are just amazing. They don't have much good to say about Pittsburgh. Jeez it's probably warmer there than here right now. Well maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:46 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

All I have to go off of is Gameday, so without any other data, I'll hesitently say that I think JR is dicking around with the young LaRoche. Don't like that move at all. I guess he'll find his stroke watching the useless Chavez from the bench.

Yah, I didn't like him taking out a RH batter against Hampton, especially when Andy looked fine at the plate, driving the ball to RF. I am going to have to say Russell gets an assist in the loss if we end up losing this game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

I'm all ears.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

And yes, these Astros announcers are just amazing. They don't have much good to say about Pittsburgh. Jeez it's probably warmer there than here right now. Well maybe not.

They don't have much room to talk, I've been to Houston, its the Cleveland of the south.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm 

La La La LaRoche!!!

I love to see this off of Valverde... I can't stand this punk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

They don't have much room to talk, I've been to Houston, its the Cleveland of the south.

Wow if that is so then damn. I can't see or hear any of the game today it isn't on Tv and they took it off of every radio station to talk about how good the Penguins did tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:17 pm 

Thats it. Final is 4-1 Astros
If there is a positive that comes out of this game it has to be the bullpen pitching 3.3 innings without giving up a hit. Chavez, Hanson, and Burnett.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:19 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
If there is a positive that comes out of this game it has to be the bullpen pitching 3.3 innings without giving up a hit. Chavez, Hanson, and Burnett.

Hey, don't forget about Jose Cruz and his .500 batting average.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:27 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Hey, don't forget about Jose Cruz and his .500 batting average.

haha you did the same thing i did. I was writing about who they should release earlier and i said Jose Cruz also, but it is Luis Cruz who is sporting that .500 batting average.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
haha you did the same thing i did. I was writing about who they should release earlier and i said Jose Cruz also, but it is Luis Cruz who is sporting that .500 batting average.

:oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:41 pm 

I and Mrs. AZBF have been to both Cleveland and Houston. It's unanimous here, we'll take Cleveland. Better waterfront, better food. Equally hard to find your way around. Nice pool at UH. Hotels? Isn't a Marriot or Comfort Inn the same no matter where?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 pm 

Not that it would have made a difference in the outcome, but why didn't:

* Ohlendorf pitch the top of the 6th?

* Jack PH for Ohlendorf at the bottom of the sixth and go in to play SS?

* Chavez replace Vazquez in the 8 spot?

That would have given us an extra man (Cruz) on the bench and also allowed Ohlendorf to work 6. Oh yeah, and allow Andy (16 ABs) to play the whole game and actually put a few more ABs between him and Vazquez (15 ABs).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 pm 

Options, options, options. Classic was when the Astros announcers felt pity for Andy La. when Vasquez muffed the foul ball and they mentioned that the Bucs fans might think that Andy La. was still at third because all the players were wearing number 42.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Options, options, options. Classic was when the Astros announcers felt pity for Andy La. when Vasquez muffed the foul ball and they mentioned that the Bucs fans might think that Andy La. was still at third because all the players were wearing number 42.

Very funny but sadly true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 am 

I still don't understand the double switch, outside of the cynic rationale that JR just doesn't like Andy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:56 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I and Mrs. AZBF have been to both Cleveland and Houston. It's unanimous here, we'll take Cleveland. Better waterfront, better food. Equally hard to find your way around. Nice pool at UH. Hotels? Isn't a Marriot or Comfort Inn the same no matter where?

I was in Houston very recently. Nice place but it is overrated. Just my opinion friend!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:44 am 

Willton wrote:
I still don't understand the double switch, outside of the cynic rationale that JR just doesn't like Andy.

When Monroe was caught trying to advance, the pinch hitter (Moss) was burned. He was out of the game, unless he was going to pitch the next inning.

Pirates wanted to have the reliever (Chavez) go more than one inning. That meant Russell needed to use a double switch, to have a position player to lead off in the bottom of the 7th. Otherwise, the choice was to have the reliever go just one inning, or have the reliever bat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next