Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 15, 2009 Astros at Pirates...TAX DAY! :(
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 pm 

BBF wrote:
No. 9-

Your mention of Andy's focus reminded me...doesn't his big brother take meds for ADD? Does that stuff run in the family? It would be useful if there were someone on the board that was in the medical profession that knew the answers to that kind of stuff... ;)

Mrs. Jaybee has her doctorate in psychology (I guess I should say Dr. Mrs. Jaybee then) and says the jury is still out on whether it tends to run in families. So the answer is definitely maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The LaRoche debate is the Craig Wilson ghost of season's past.
Don't lose sight of the fact that DK has reported that his back injury is far from settled. None of us have any idea of what dynamic is playing out on a day-to-day basis with his health, his attitude and his approach to improving his play.

Could be his back. Sportsbeat ran a blurb last night with LaRoche stating his back was fine. Don't know when they did the interview, but until I hear otherwise, I'll assume all is well.

I don't recall these "dynamics" being questioned when Adam was hacking all through last April. And I certainly don't recall Adam being benched every other game in order to get his head straight. Improving play is done on the field, not on the bench.

No. 9 wrote:
Its early people. Come off the ledge. JR has publically stated many times that he has not given up on Andy and that Andy is still "the starter." He's a big boy, he can handle this. Andy's future as a major league player does not hinge on whether he was replaced in a double switch in the 8th game of the year or whether he is on the bench for a game when a right handed pitcher is on the mound.

He can state all he wants, the fact is Andy is not playing on a regular basis, which leads me to believe he is not "the starter". So you condone benching him against righties? If so I guess we can expect about 150 ABs this year?

No. 9 wrote:
First, from what has been reported, the Dodgers offered little resistance to trading him after he was consistently ranked as one of their best prospects and one of the best prospects in baseball.

They got some guy named Manny Ramirez. I hear he is a pretty good player.

No. 9 wrote:
Second, after a short stint in the majors with the Dodgers, the club apparently had serious concerns about his ability to make the jump from AAA.

So the Pirates made a huge blunder in their scouting?

No. 9 wrote:
Third, scouting reports on LaRoche indicated concerns about his ability to handle good major league pitching; the reports seem to suggest that he might be fine against #4 or #5 starters, but that he would struggle mightily against the top half of rotations.

I hadn't heard this, quite the opposite actually. Links?

No. 9 wrote:
Fourth, as DK has recently reported, there are some that are "laughing" right now about the LaRoche situation.

Bullish?

No. 9 wrote:
Fifth, look at what kind of pitches LaRoche has been chasing. Plate discipline, pitch recognition are not strong points right now and he is being exploited.

He has a propensity to get pull happy, but I havn't seen him chase too many bad pitches. He's only struck out 3 times in 16 ABs. He's putting wood on the ball, their just not dropping. I mentioned this last year. The guy seems to be snakebit in this regard.

No. 9 wrote:
Sixth, the defensive lapses suggest (to me) that the kid has a problem maintaining concentration or focus.

This I have heard. That's a nice way of saying he's lazy. There could be some smoke there.

No. 9 wrote:
Finally, this is not simply based on 2009 performance. He is starting to accumulate a sufficient sample on which evaluations can be made. You can point to an injury here or there but, if performance when he is not injured matches performance when he was supposedly recovering from an injury, is that really an excuse (or reason) anymore?

He was hurt all of last year and some of the year before. That's a fact. He is supposedly healthy this year and has 16 ABs in 8 games. What up with that??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
[
We get it, ZM. You are the sole inhabitant of a parallel universe in which Neil Walker is a better ballplayer than Andy LaRoche.

And you would get this from, just what, statement that I have made? About the closest you will get is that I said Walker has more power potential than La Roche, and he does. You would also get that he is a better fielder, but in my parallel universe that is wholly consistant with every scouting report on the man. Not sure what universe that puts you in, though.

I don't see much more than K's and dribblers up the 1st base line.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I don't see much more than K's and dribblers up the 1st base line.

ZM

Andy Laroche's K rate is not that high. His BABIP is just horrid - way lower than it will be at the end of the year. One issue with Laroche is that he is getting anxious. His walk rate and OBP are his strong suit. When he gets impatient, he will swing at ball 4, as he did in his first AB.

A 2-hit game will calm him down. A HR will ease the pressure considerably. When he goes back to the hitter he has been his entire career in the minors, he will produce enough offense to justify playing 3B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:59 am 

Argentum i think you beat the quote record. That was something.