Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former Bucco news
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 pm 

ESPN Radio AM 1700 in Des Moines reporting that Tim Wakefield has a no-no through 7 at Oakland. C'mon Tim, finish it off. It would be a great accomplishment for one of the good guys.

Post subject: Re: Former Bucco news
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
ESPN Radio AM 1700 in Des Moines reporting that Tim Wakefield has a no-no through 7 at Oakland. C'mon Tim, finish it off. It would be a great accomplishment for one of the good guys.

Tim Wakefield will always be one of my favorite ex-Pirates, for what he did to the hated Braves in the 1992 playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:20 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Tim Wakefield will always be one of my favorite ex-Pirates, for what he did to the hated Braves in the 1992 playoffs.

I'll go ahead and assume that Sid Bream is your least favorite then...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 pm 

Lead off walk to start bottom of the 8th. Only the second base runner for the A's. 73 pitches so far for Wakefield.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:27 pm 

Ellsbury keeps it alive with a nice catch for the first out in the 8th.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm 

And Kurt Suzuki plays the role of the villian . . . damn. 7 and 1/3 of no-hit ball.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:38 pm 

Wakefield has his moments. I always bemoaned the fact that the Buccos let him go. Knuckeball pitchers can have long stretches where they struggle, but the just find the touch and go on a run where they are tough to hit for several games in a row.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
I'll go ahead and assume that Sid Bream is your least favorite then...

Sid played for the Buccos and was part of the turnaround in 1987-1991. My least favorite was Smoltz, because he just killed the Pirates ... game after game. I hated his guts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Wakefield has his moments. I always bemoaned the fact that the Buccos let him go. Knuckeball pitchers can have long stretches where they struggle, but the just find the touch and go on a run where they are tough to hit for several games in a row.

Given that the Braves were completely baffled by Wakefield in '92 and that he likely could've pitched Game 7, I thought that it would have made a hell of a story if Leyland would have run Wakefield out there again. Talk about a serious mind f__k. Don't get me wrong. The ace was ready and pitched a hell of a ball game (damn you Chico Lind). But, if Wakefield pitched back-to-back and secured the NL pennant, it would rank up there as one of the greatest feats in baseball's playoff history.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Given that the Braves were completely baffled by Wakefield in '92 and that he likely could've pitched Game 7, I thought that it would have made a hell of a story if Leyland would have run Wakefield out there again. Talk about a serious mind f__k. Don't get me wrong. The ace was ready and pitched a hell of a ball game (damn you Chico Lind). But, if Wakefield pitched back-to-back and secured the NL pennant, it would rank up there as one of the greatest feats in baseball's playoff history.

The issue of Wakefield pitching in Game 7 was discussed before the game started. Leyland was asked if Wakefield could go an inning, but he did not want to pitch Wakefield on consecutive days, since Wakefield had thrown a complete game the day prior.

Leyland did have Wakefield - as well as Bob Walk - throwing in the bullpen in the 9th inning.

Then again, what the f*** would it have mattered? Fat-ass Marsh was not calling strikes from Belinda. Do we think he would have called strikes from a knuckle-baller?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

The issue of Wakefield pitching in Game 7 was discussed before the game started. Leyland was asked if Wakefield could go an inning, but he did not want to pitch Wakefield on consecutive days, since Wakefield had thrown a complete game the day prior.

Leyland did have Wakefield - as well as Bob Walk - throwing in the bullpen in the 9th inning.

Then again, what the f*** would it have mattered? Fat-ass Marsh was not calling strikes from Belinda. Do we think he would have called strikes from a knuckle-baller?

Knee high pitches over the heart of the plate should never be called strikes. Just ask LaValliere. I'm sure that he'd give you a colorful answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Yeah, but Drabek was the ace and he pitched a hell of a game. Like you said, blame Lind for the error (he picked a great time to finally make one). Also blame Stan Belinda, and the home plate ump who replaced the one that got sick (was it Ed Montague?) who called a couple of Drabek's pitches balls that were right down the middle.

I take my solace in the fact that the only championship the entire city of Atlanta has is the 1995 World Series, which was probably the least cared about championship ever seeing as it came in a strike shortened season (after a season when the WS was cancelled entirely).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:40 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Also blame Stan Belinda, and the home plate ump who replaced the one that got sick (was it Ed Montague?) who called a couple of Drabek's pitches balls that were right down the middle.

The umpire who fell ill was John McSherry - the same umpire who died on the field during opening day in 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McSherry

Wikipedia ... the people's information source!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:14 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
My least favorite was Smoltz, because he just killed the Pirates ... game after game. I hated his guts.

Ditto...and his damn psychologist too!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Ditto...and his damn psychologist too!!!

I hate red sweaters ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 pm 

You might be very unpopular in Pittsburgh if you hate this red sweater:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:49 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
You might be very unpopular in Pittsburgh if you hate this red sweater:

My hero. Loved Mr. Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 pm 

And why did Mr. Rogers always wear a long sleeve sweater?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:40 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
And why did Mr. Rogers always wear a long sleeve sweater?

Because short-sleeved sweaters don't exist, and a sweater-vest would have given him away?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 am 

Oh, and this tidbit:

The first base umpire who called Morgan out in the top of the 1st on that squibber even though Morgan was clearly safe (replay confirms that), and who called Sanchez out on a check swing that barely reached the plate?

None other than Randy Marsh. May he rot in hell.