Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steve Blass disease......
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:54 pm 

No. 1 has been erratic the last couple of starts. Last night he struggled in the first with a couple of walks but wiggled out of it due to a hitters interference strike out double play. then cruised through the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Got the first guy in the 5th followed by a walk, a single and another walk to load the bases. Then with the count 2-1, the coach apparently had seen enough and that coupled with a high pitch count sent him out with the hook. Of course the reliever walked the guy for the first run, then gave up a sharp single to right for two more before getting out of it. That was it though and PV won 4-3 coming from behind. They are now tied for first among D II juco teams at 17-14 and 26-19 overall. 9 games left in the season and playoffs after that. Barring a complete collapse they should be in the playoffs. Not bad for a first ;year program.

Post subject: Re: Steve Blass disease......
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm 

Sounds like he needs a little No. 9 behind the plate . . . I'd steer that ship home! :)
In all seriousness, an excellent beginning to his college career. Over the weekend, I watched some Big 10 baseball . . . a certain team that wears black and gold was throwing a freshman lefty who couldn't have thrown any harder than No. 1. The kid reminded me a lot of a poor man's Zach Duke.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:24 pm 

Is No. 1 encountering the "freshman 15"? A change is his build can alter his body mechanics, and effect his delivery. Even a slight change can effect control.

Very impressive first year. It looks like he will be pitching into late May - that is the goal every February, so congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:45 pm 

Well you know it is there . Just need to find the groove and be more consistent on a regular basis. It gets frustrating for all involved. His coach is a very patient man but walks will wear on all of us. LOL Maybe you need to catch a bullpen No. 9.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:02 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Maybe you need to catch a bullpen No. 9.

He better bring his gear. Bucfan ceased catching son's bullpen sessions in 2006, after a two-seam ran about 6" while Bucfan was not wearing shin guards, and ricocheted off Bucfan's left shin - the same one that suffered a terrible fracture and had a steel plate installed.

I believe the steel plate saved me from serious injury. The ball ricocheted off Bucfan's leg and rolled halfway back to son. Bucfan stood up, said "I think we're done here," and has not caught son since.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:38 pm 

I used to throw BP to No. 1 son without an L screen until his sophomore year when he rattled a liner off my leg between calf and shin. Still have a lump about 1" x 2". Mrs. AZBF put an end to that after I had to spend fall break on the couch. LOL. I quit catching bullpens even with shin guards when the pitch movement outfoxed whatever ability to catch it went away. I caught one this past fall and was relieved that it was only for 25 pitches. I guess a little of the western New York still remains. However the reaction time does not remain. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I caught one this past fall and was relieved that it was only for 25 pitches. I guess a little of the western New York still remains. However the reaction time does not remain. LOL

Impressive, Az. 25 pitches from Bucfan's son to Bucfan would result in a hospital stay of about 25 days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 pm 

NO catchers mitt while sitting on a ball bucket. LOLOL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:11 am 

Yer killin' me, boys! I was never very good behind that L-screen, either. I took one in the mouth on a riccochet off an L-screen a couple of years ago. I swear it was the hardest ball that kid ever hit. I went to the State Senior League playoffs looking like Louis Armstrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 am 

bradf wrote:
Yer killin' me, boys! I was never very good behind that L-screen, either. I took one in the mouth on a riccochet off an L-screen a couple of years ago. I swear it was the hardest ball that kid ever hit. I went to the State Senior League playoffs looking like Louis Armstrong.

You are like me. The vertical post on the L-screen blocks my view of the plate so I tend to peek at the plate through the cut-out portion.

Dumb idea. Ball comes back at about a zillion miles an hour. My ninja days are long gone ... reaction time is measured with this:

Not this: