Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Who's the first manager to get pink-slipped?
Eric Wedge 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Manny Acta 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Cecil Cooper 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Ron Washington 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
someone else 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Who'll be the first manager fired?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:38 pm 

I have to think, given the expectations surrounding the Indians, that Eric Wedge is on a very short leash in Cleveland. To a lesser degree the same is true of Ron Washington in Texas.

Ken Rosenthal speculated this morning that Cecil Cooper's tenure in Houston might come to an abrupt end in the near future, and while he's not a good manager, he's hardly at fault for the mess the Astros have become. Likewise, Manny Acta, who's actually a good manager, tasked with making chicken salad out of chicken **** in DC.

Other candidates? Leyland, possibly, if the Tigers stumble. The A's made some win-now moves in the offseason, so Bob Geren could be in trouble if they don't. And while it's fairly certain that the Red Sox' slow start is an aberration, give them a month or so of scuffling along and underperforming and it'll be interesting to see just how much breathing room Terry Francona's two WS rings buy him.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Who'll be the first manager fired?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 pm 

My vote is for Wedge...I think if the Indians cant get it going soon he is out...It seems like every season the Indians dig themselves in a hole and just miss the playoffs...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 pm 

If the Tigers don't do well this year, they won't have to fire Leyland, he will quit. It's his MO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm 

Manny Acta is safe; the Nationals have Adam Dunn. He'll single-handedly turn that team around at some point and get them into contention in that highly competitive division. I just know he can do it . . . and if . . . heaven forbid . . . he doesn't . . . there will be at least 10 contenders willing to trade 4 or 5 of their top prospects to the Nationals at the drop of a hat.

Wedge is in serious trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:55 pm 

I vote for Wedge also.

But as far as Francona is concerned, there is no indication here that he has anything to worry about. The Red Sox just aren't hitting much so far -- a trend you wouldn't expect to continue. (As a team, they're 12th in the AL in batting, 11th in OBP, 10th in OPS, and 3rd in grounding into double plays. Pedroia, Ortiz, Mike Lowell, and Jacoby Ellsbury are all off to lousy starts with the bat, and Jed Lowrie is expected to find out today whether he'll need season-ending surgery on one of his wrists.)

Plus, they haven't exactly been playing cream puffs to open the season.

Pitching-wise, they have the 11th-worst team ERA, the 4th-highest batting average allowed, and they're issuing walks at the rate of one every other inning. Dice-K has been horrible; there's a sense that he threw too hard too early for Japan in the WBC and now has a tired arm.

Red Sox Nation, however, expects all this to turn around in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Manny Acta is safe; the Nationals have Adam Dunn. He'll single-handedly turn that team around at some point and get them into contention in that highly competitive division. I just know he can do it . . . and if . . . heaven forbid . . . he doesn't . . . there will be at least 10 contenders willing to trade 4 or 5 of their top prospects to the Nationals at the drop of a hat.

Wedge is in serious trouble.

I am dying laughing over here 9... I started to read your post and was like what tha??? Then it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I had to excuse myself from the office for a moment.

Great stuff, well done(as Rome would say)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 pm 

I actually voted for Acta, not because he is a terrible manager but because I think the new GM will use this opportunity to axe Acta and bring in one of his own "guys." That will actually allow Acta to manage somewhere else that might matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:28 pm 

Wedge is in trouble, because his team's problems are not going to get solved any time soon. The only proven starter on the team is Lee, and he is getting hammered. This is the guy that I did not want in return for Jason Bay. (See, I was right!!)

I might have voted for Ron Washington, except that ... well, I did not even know he was Texas' manager.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 pm 

Francona's job is as safe as Bill Belichick's. That's only a very slight exaggeration.

How about Girardi? If the Yankees don't make the playoffs this year, there's going to be at least some talk of replacing him. Two consecutive years without making the playoffs would seem to be an unforgivable transgression in New York. For that matter, add Jerry Manuel to the list. The Mets love to change horses mid-stream.

If I had to pick one from the list, I'd say Eric Wedge would be the first to go, but that doesn't mean it's fair. He can't throw the ball for Cliff Lee and Fausto Carmona, who have been getting smoked. And it's not his fault they're relying on Carl Pavano as a starter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
How about Girardi? If the Yankees don't make the playoffs this year, there's going to be at least some talk of replacing him.

Well, it's not like the Yankees spent half a billion dollars on players this offseas... never mind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 pm 

I voted for Eric Wedge but someone else was a close second with that someone else being Jim Leyland in Detroit. I think the both go this year though, but Cleveland is a complete mess right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I picked Cooper, because it seems to me that the Astros have a quick trigger finger with managers over the past few years.