Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It Seems Coonelly May Be Busy With The MLB Front Office
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:52 pm 

Articles in the Post Gazette today talk about how he wants to play the Indians again in Interleague play and the talk trying to get the Pirates moved to the NL East...

Interleague Article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08139/882861-63.stm

Quote:
"I would like to see us playing the Indians on a regular basis," Coonelly said. "The rivalry between Pittsburgh and Cleveland is as heated as any other interleague rivalry in baseball, and the fans in both cities would love to see the Pirates and Indians battle one another on a regular basis. I am making sure that the Pirates' scheduling preferences are understood by Major League Baseball."

NL East Article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08139/882818-63.stm

Quote:
Team president Frank Coonelly, the one man with the authority to pursue such a move, said that an intensive "study of all the implications" would have to be performed before he formed a solid stance on the matter. And that study would include the wider impact.

"I know that any change to the divisional formats raises multiple complications for the already challenging task of putting together the major league schedule," he said.

Still, Coonelly, born and bred in Philadelphia, expressed a strong wish to see more of the Phillies and Mets at PNC Park.

"It is a shame our fans only get one opportunity a year to see two clubs with whom we have had such great rivalries," he said. "I recall vividly the great battles the Pirates had with the Phillies in the 1970s. It seemed the two Pennsylvania clubs were playing critical games late in the year almost every year. We had similar battles with the Mets in the late '80s and early '90s."

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: It Seems Coonelly May Be Busy With The MLB Front Office
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:34 pm 

I'd love to see the Pirates back in the east.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:41 am 

As would I, as I'd see the Pirates more often on the East Coast.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:48 am 

Argentum wrote:
I'd love to see the Pirates back in the east.

Me too. I miss the brawls with the Phillies. As an added attraction, we could revive the old "Muck the Fets" song.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:36 am 

Willton wrote:
As would I, as I'd see the Pirates more often on the East Coast.

What's interesting is that a team currently in the east wouldn't even have to swap places. The central, currently at 6 teams, would drop to 5 while the east, currently at 5 teams, would end up with 6. It's a shame that the Pirates/Phillies aren't in the same division anymore.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:45 am 
Being in the central doesn't bother me, but I do like how Coonelly is trying to get the rivalry with the Indians started again. If you've been anywhere near a Steelers-Browns game you know there is definitely a "natural rivalry" between the cities.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Being in the central doesn't bother me, but I do like how Coonelly is trying to get the rivalry with the Indians started again. If you've been anywhere near a Steelers-Browns game you know there is definitely a "natural rivalry" between the cities.

And probably a greater one than whatever Cleveland-Cincinatti rivalry that may exist. I'm not from around there but from what I see, the Reds-Indians games just don't appear to spark much interest from the area. Just because two cities exist in the same state does not mean that they compete for fans or share a rivalry.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

To muddle some more, there are reports out there, that the NL is considering going to a 4 division, 4teamp per- format with no wildcards to balance out the 16 teams. That scenario would have Philly, Mets, Nats, and Bucs in the East.

I'd like it.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:13 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
To muddle some more, there are reports out there, that the NL is considering going to a 4 division, 4teamp per- format with no wildcards to balance out the 16 teams. That scenario would have Philly, Mets, Nats, and Bucs in the East.

I'd like it.

ZM

That would likely hurt the rivalry between the Mets and Braves, which is pretty substantial. I doubt that MLB would go for that.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:04 pm 

Willton wrote:
And probably a greater one than whatever Cleveland-Cincinatti rivalry that may exist. I'm not from around there but from what I see, the Reds-Indians games just don't appear to spark much interest from the area. Just because two cities exist in the same state does not mean that they compete for fans or share a rivalry.

Having gone to school in Cleveland, and made many many friends from the area who are big baseball fans, I can tell you that Cleveland fans don't give a shit about playing the Pirates...there is absolutely no rivalry there. Conversely, the "Battle of Ohio" has actually started some interest.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the Pittsburgh-Cleveland rivalry started, and I think it would only become a rivalry if both teams were competitive, I'm just not sure its going to happen.

To draw a comparison, its like Pitt still saying they have a rivalry with Penn State, whereas Penn State isn't even aware that Pitt exists anymore.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:29 pm 

BBF wrote:
Willton wrote:

Having gone to school in Cleveland, and made many many friends from the area who are big baseball fans, I can tell you that Cleveland fans don't give a shit about playing the Pirates...there is absolutely no rivalry there. Conversely, the "Battle of Ohio" has actually started some interest.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the Pittsburgh-Cleveland rivalry started, and I think it would only become a rivalry if both teams were competitive, I'm just not sure its going to happen.

To draw a comparison, its like Pitt still saying they have a rivalry with Penn State, whereas Penn State isn't even aware that Pitt exists anymore.

The demise of the Pitt-Penn State rivalry is sad. It was once a great, great rivalry.

It's hardly a rivalry at all anymore, but they still compete for the same recruits often, so that still exists.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:39 pm 

BBF wrote:
........whereas Penn State isn't even aware that Pitt exists anymore.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Joe Pa has alzheimer's. I'd mention the dysentery that caused him to sh!t his pants a few years ago as well, but that would be just plain wrong.

Argentum
Pitt Class of 1991

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:07 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:
........whereas Penn State isn't even aware that Pitt exists anymore.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Joe Pa has alzheimer's. I'd mention the dysentery that caused him to sh!t his pants a few years ago as well, but that would be just plain wrong.

Argentum
Pitt Class of 1991

Pitt/Penn State would still be a great rivalry if it wasn't for that bitter, superannuated prick.

And no, I did not attend Pitt.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

A four team division is difficult to put together. I'm unsure about Colorado and St. Louis.

Pittsburgh
NY Mets
Philadelphia
Washington

Florida
Atlanta
Houston
St. Louis

Chicago
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Colorado

Arizona
San Diego
San Fransisco
Los Angeles

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:02 pm 

I don't like the idea of eliminating the wild card. Doing without a wild card punishes good divisions by excluding what could be the second best team in the league. Plus, a wild card tends to keep things interesting as the season comes to a close. I say stick with 3 divisions and just move Pittsburgh to the NL East.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 pm 

What happens if you have a 1997 like year again, and your one division winner is a team 1 game over .500 while in another division a team with 95 wins got left out because the winner of the division won 96?

The Wild Card helps and allows that 95 win team into the playoffs

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...