Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good choice by Russell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:46 am 

Just read that Karstens is still on track to pitch on Thursday versus Houston. That means Maholm will lead off against the Braves. I like the move. Houston in struggling; Atlanta is on a tear. Get Karsten's first outing against the team that is hurting and run the Ace out there to take on the hated Braves.

Good move IMO.

Post subject: Re: Good choice by Russell
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:49 am 

I agree. The had planned to use Karstens in the pen when he was skipped, but with the way the starters have gone, we haven't really needed the pen.

You don't want Karstens to get too rusty, either! Good decision all the way around.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:01 am 

We couldn't have hit the Astros on a better stretch. Consider, we get Moehler, Hampton, and then Russ Ortiz! And we thought we had it bad. I think the average age of their 3-5 starters is about 72. Sweep??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 am 

I like Maholm against the Braves. Even if we can't handle them right now it gives us a much better chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:34 am 

I watched the game on television last night and can report that Houston's pitching staff is awful, apart from Roy Oswalt. They have a ton of guys who throw like Josh Fogg. From what I have seen, Karstens would be their number 2 starter.

Every guy out of their pen was throwing 83-85 mph, nibbling, with an average breaking ball. I understand that the team was trotting out its grade B relievers since it was trailing, but the Pirates grade B relievers - Chavez, Veal, and to a lesser extent Hansen and Burnett - are so superior to what I saw from the Houston pen that the discrepancy was kind of shocking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 am 

Bucfan, couldn't agree more. Outside of Berkman and Lee, none of their position players would make the Pirates A team. If Pence learns a bit patience, he could be a keeper. Oswalt is Oswalt and Wandy may break out this year. The worst team in the Central, by far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:08 pm 

Argentum wrote:
We couldn't have hit the Astros on a better stretch. Consider, we get Moehler, Hampton, and then Russ Ortiz! And we thought we had it bad. I think the average age of their 3-5 starters is about 72. Sweep??

I'm wondering if Hampton can make it to the 1st inning of his next start without getting hurt...His Disabled List numbers are Hall of Fame Worthy, at Dr. Andrews' Office...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I'm wondering if Hampton can make it to the 1st inning of his next start without getting hurt...His Disabled List numbers are Hall of Fame Worthy, at Dr. Andrews' Office...

I got heat for saying Hampton is hurt more than he is really hurt but i still believe it is true. If he has a bad start this time look for in the next week he will be making a trip to the DL with a bruised ego.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:32 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I got heat for saying Hampton is hurt more than he is really hurt but i still believe it is true. If he has a bad start this time look for in the next week he will be making a trip to the DL with a bruised ego.

I believe you said he was faking injury to collect a paycheck...I was just adding some off color humor to the Astros situation

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:38 pm 

Quote:
I believe you said he was faking injury to collect a paycheck...I was just adding some off color humor to the Astros situation

I still believe that. I wont go as far to say faking them anymore, but he isn't in great shape and you know when you are in poor shape you are going to get hurt. Just ask Bartolo Colon, and after he gets hurt whatever the injury may be. Dry hands, stubbed toe, sore you know what from getting beat around in the first 4 innings he doesn't try to rehabilitate them ask quickly as he could. Thus this is how i came up with that he is there to collect a paycheck. But the Astros all around are humorous already and they can't afford anymore injuries.