Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Attendance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:01 pm 

Does anyone have the attendance for the home opener. I was watching for some tmie and was very suprised to see that the staduim seemed to have a LOT of empty seats. Im talking some entire sections looked empty.

Post subject: Re: Attendance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:20 pm 

And from what I heard on post game show, it was among the highest ever at PNC park.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am 

Looked pretty full from section 220.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:43 am 

Yep, complete sell out. Even SRO tickets were gone as of 9am. It was pretty full, though after the 7th inning or so the score and chilly weather sent a lot of people home early.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 am 

Did anybody that attended the game manage to stay sober until opening pitch?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:08 am 

Colin21 wrote:

I did!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:16 am 

Animal wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I did!

I was just wondering if i am the only person 21+ that attends games and doesn't buy a beer or sneek some grey goose in, in a water bottle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nah, our gig is to hit up a breakfast spot (this year it was Mullin's) for a nice start, walk a mile to Finnegan's wake to listen to Stan and Guy moan about how bad the Pirates will be again this year, and then walk in early to the left field Wall of Fame and grab a Bloody Mary for the day (woohoo).

That plus the obligatory foot-long hot dog makes the day.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I did!

I was just wondering if i am the only person 21+ that attends games and doesn't buy a beer or sneek some grey goose in, in a water bottle.

Colin, I'm 41 and didn't have one alcoholic beverage the whole game! Of course it may have had something to do with my consumption the day before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 am 

Argentum wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Colin, I'm 41 and didn't have one alcoholic beverage the whole game! Of course it may have had something to do with my consumption the day before.

I was sober as well. I refuse to pay for beer in the stadium, and I didn't get out of work in time to join my friends outside of the Clark Bar, unfortunately. Actually, ended up having to park all the way past the West End Bridge and walk back to the stadium, and I got there almost an hour before the first pitch!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 am 

I'm glad to see beer sales going down because they are just going to keep jacking it up if people keep buying at the stadium. Either drink before or sneek something in. The stadium beer boycott is on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I did!

Normally, I don't drink, but a couple things seal the deal for me. First off, at the games, it is WAY too expensive. Second, the drunken idiots really irritate me, at the game, and life in general.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Nah, our gig is to hit up a breakfast spot (this year it was Mullin's) for a nice start, walk a mile to Finnegan's wake to listen to Stan and Guy moan about how bad the Pirates will be again this year, and then walk in early to the left field Wall of Fame and grab a Bloody Mary for the day (woohoo).

That plus the obligatory foot-long hot dog makes the day.

ZM

And I can vouch that it is a GREAT way to spend opening day. At least until Braden Looper shuts down the Bucco offense!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:03 am 

Quote:
Normally, I don't drink, but a couple things seal the deal for me. First off, at the games, it is WAY too expensive. Second, the drunken idiots really irritate me, at the game, and life in general.

Yeah i agree. The drunken idiots are what got me arrested when i was at the Indians/Royals game in 2005. Only 2 days or so after my 18th birthday and i wasn't even involved in the rushing of the field after Emil Brown. Though i wish i was.But that is a story for another day. Now i have that Three Stoogies Niagara Falls thing in my head again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:06 pm 

Beer prices in PNC are nothing compared to what they were at Shea and Yankee Stadium. And yet, people still bought them.

I have a beer or two at games every now and then, but getting one at the game has not only become expensive but inconvenient. Lines are ridiculously long between innings, and by the time the beer stand has gouged $8 from you, you have missed an entire half inning. And that's of course if you don't have the patience for the beer guy to come around to your seat section with his selection of watered-down domestic brews, at which point he pours it in a flimsy plastic cup that's just begging to be spilled as it gets passed to you from fan to fan.

And then of course one of the side effects of serving beer at the ballpark is that you have to deal with drunk meat-headed guidos (yinzers in Pittsburgh) that have to ruin the experience for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:51 pm 

Had four or five before getting in the park, but like many others I don't like paying that for a beer, plus I was driving. Drunks are ok, been one myself more times then I want to admit-- younger days of stupidity.

BBF---amazingly enough I might have been the one who took your parking place as I parked next to the Clark building so as to get the West End Bridge after and avoid some of the tie-up. I sit near you and probably said hi to your buds in the lot. That's a WOW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Had four or five before getting in the park, but like many others I don't like paying that for a beer, plus I was driving. Drunks are ok, been one myself more times then I want to admit-- younger days of stupidity.

BBF---amazingly enough I might have been the one who took your parking place as I parked next to the Clark building so as to get the West End Bridge after and avoid some of the tie-up. I sit near you and probably said hi to your buds in the lot. That's a WOW

My friends said they were right next to some old ladies playing beer pong. See any of that?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:29 pm 

Where's Bucfan with a shot of old ladies playing beer pong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Where's Bucfan with a shot of old ladies playing beer pong.

They're not so old ... this is what the ladies looked like after a few rounds into the game, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 pm 

The "winners" get this.

And this.