Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atmosphere at the ball game.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 pm 

Opening day ceremonies were special and emotional. The gold glove to Nate with his mom and dad was neat to see. The Steve Blass 50 year tribute was especially touching. He demonstrated the kind of person he is by his humbling comments. He must really be a great guy- someone to listen to for hours. All of that was moving and appropriate for everyone in their seats.

But the most emotional part was the bagpipes and words about the police killings together with the military and their flags with the fly over of helicopters. All of that set the backdrop for a memorable game.

A game report can only suggest that the weather was as good as the game. Two homers(Ryan and Adam), Freddy going 3/4 all doubles, and the magnificent pitching of Duke made for a wonderful experience at the ball yard.

I couldn't help but be impressed by a young father and his two boys down in front of me. The kids were about five and nine. What a great day for dad and kids. The each had on a new Pirate hat and their gloves for potential homers coming their way. They, all three, were obviously having a day to remember.

Brought back memories of my dad taking me to a game when I was about 10. I still (50 years later) can see the green grass of the infield and all the rows of seats in old Forbes Field. I see the steel girder blocking some of the field but it didn't detract for my wonder at the game in front of me. The Dodgers had Gil Hodges, Pee Wee Reese, and Duke Snyder playing and dad pointed out them to me.

Days like today are special.

Post subject: Re: Atmosphere at the ball game.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm 

Well said. I've nothing to add that wouldn't diminish what you've written.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm 

Thanks, sub....that was a great post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 am 

bradf wrote:

Great post. Great day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 am 

Zane41 wrote:
bradf wrote:

Great post. Great day.

Great post Sub!

I posted something very similar in my WOW JUST WOW post. Opening day always makes me miss my Dad. I have been going to opening day with my 20 year old daughter for about 8 years now. Just the two of us. No wife. No other kids. We start the day early with breakfast, then go down and walk around, have lunch, then go to the game. Great bonding time for a guy and his daughter.

And this years festivities were awesome. Somber and sad, but awesome. Only other one that really sticks out in my mind as this memorable, is the opening of PNC Park.

Anybody hear how much money they collected for the fallen officers?