Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My ONLY thought on the home opening series!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:01 pm 

The Astros come in at 1-5!! Let's make PNC Park OUR HOUSE and take out the brooms.

Most preseason prognostications picked the Astros to be barely better than us (Vegas's official over/under had them at 66 wins and us at 65).

We have young pitching, they re-signed Mike Hampton for crying out loud. They are mourning not keeping Randy Wolf in the off season.

They have an old and slow lineup and some of their positions on paper are worse offensively than the Bucs.

C'mon boys. At least win the opener today and then go on to be 6-3 while putting the 'Stros in a 1-8 hole to start the season.

Post subject: Re: My ONLY thought on the home opening series!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:04 pm 

Just what the doctor ordered. One down two to go!

Listening to the Astros post game wrap up and the condecension, "Well yeah, they won today, but these ARE THE PIRATES and we know where they will end up......"

C'mon boys, wipe that smug arrogance completely out of them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Listening to the Astros post game wrap up and the condecension, "Well yeah, they won today, but these ARE THE PIRATES and we know where they will end up......"

Wow ... after getting your ass kicked, the best thing to say is not, "Please, sir, may I have another?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I know I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse a bit here but I'll be honest, the Cards, Reds, and Astros are teams the Pirates could finish ahead of this season. I'll go as far as saying they should finish ahead of the Reds. I'll go farther and say there is no way the Astros finish the season finish better than the Bucs.

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:53 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I know I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse a bit here ...

Buccos will be as good as their starting pitching. Even more particularly, I believe that Ohlendorf is a good starting pitcher. He has gained a lot of control, is following Kerrigan's instruction on throwing strikes and throwing inside.

Duke looks really good. Hitting his spots, throwing two excellent games. Maholm is solid - he is a strike-throwing, ground-ball inducing machine out there.

The number 5 starter is the number 5 starter - teams struggle to find 4 good starters, so most number 5's are pretty mediocre. The Pirates are no exception.

So, a lot of the Pirates' success hinges on Mr. Snell. If he gives the team 6-7 quality innings on a regular basis, avoids walking guys, keeps the ball in the park, then the Pirates' starting rotation will be just fine.

Lotta if's, but what the heck. Oh, and by the way, the age of the Pirates starters ... 26, 27, 25, 26, 26. Duke is still the youngest starter, and Snell the oldest at the ripe age of 27.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
So, a lot of the Pirates' success hinges on Mr. Snell. If he gives the team 6-7 quality innings on a regular basis, avoids walking guys, keeps the ball in the park, then the Pirates' starting rotation will be just fine.

Snell needs to figure out a way to find his "groove" earlier . . . I don't know if it is a "feel thing" or what but he just doesn't seem to get out of the blocks very well. Can't help but feel that it is a mental thing with him . . . certainly appears to be a volatile character.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:35 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Snell needs to figure out a way to find his "groove" earlier . . . I don't know if it is a "feel thing" or what but he just doesn't seem to get out of the blocks very well.

That has been true in his two starts so far. He struggled early on yesterday, but in the 6th inning he was rifling the ball to home plate at 93-94 mph and overpowering the Reds hitters.

If he can get thru the first inning without getting damaged too much, and without having to throw 25 pitches, he will be okay.