Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 pm 

He only gave up two runs. That's good pitching and can easily get you a win with normal offense.

But I'm left not feeling very good about his pitching today. Looked to me like he was close to a bad inning several times. Does getting out of jams make him good? I think I may not be fair to him but I just have no confidence when he starts.

Tell me if I'm being unfair. How do you feel aboout him today and in general?

Post subject: Re: Snell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:23 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
He only gave up two runs. That's good pitching and can easily get you a win with normal offense.

But I'm left not feeling very good about his pitching today. Looked to me like he was close to a bad inning several times. Does getting out of jams make him good? I think I may not be fair to him but I just have no confidence when he starts.

Tell me if I'm being unfair. How do you feel aboout him today and in general?

I feel like any pitcher that holds the Cincinnati Reds to 2 runs, should have a win at the end of the day.

That's how I, and the rest of the National League, feels.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:57 pm 

Snell works into trouble too much. He did a good job of working out of trouble today, but he needs to take the approach he uses with runners on second and third, one out, to the mound from the first pitch.

He also needs to throw strikes more consistently, particularly first pitch strikes. He still loses concentration on occasion, like when he walked a horrible-hitting Harang on five pitches.

But, if he can take his focus up a notch, and avoid those big-pitch innings, he will be a quality starter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:29 pm 

I was waiting for the big inning too, hopefully today even in a loss that gave him some confidence to know his defense his behind him he just needs to throw strikes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 pm 

BOTTOM LINE:

He gave his team a very good chance to win. So that's a good start. One good, one bad. Hopefully, he can keep it up. I think with Snell, he is a guy that just needs to have a few good games in a row to get his confidence back. I was hoping that Kerrigan could help him regain his form!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:10 pm 

Considering how much the umpire's strike zone moved around today, I thought Snell was pretty good. I thought he challenged hitters more in the later innings than I can recall at any time last year. He has always been a guy that has tried to be too fine, so he will always teeter on the edge, but if he buys into Kerrigan's methods and takes back the inner half of the plate, he has the best stuff on the staff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:23 pm 

bradf wrote:
He has always been a guy that has tried to be too fine, so he will always teeter on the edge, but if he buys into Kerrigan's methods and takes back the inner half of the plate, he has the best stuff on the staff.

His control was good the last three innings, for the most part. But he did miss quite a few in the first 3 innings, including leaving a ball over the middle of the plate to Phillips, a notorious fastball hitter. The pitch drifted right over the middle of the plate and Phillips crushed it.

Doumit set up on the inside corner. Snell had some problems getting the ball on the inner half of the plate most of the game, before he finally sawed off Tavares.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 am 

Snell did alot better today but he still isn't one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball like he says he is.
He's not even top 10 in the National League or even in the NL Central.

In my player rankings i have Snell as the 8th best pitcher currently on the Pirates major league roster.