Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 12, 2009 Pirates at Reds...Happy Easter!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 pm 

Oh goodie ... Sean F'in Burnette.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:18 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Shaky start but overall not Snell's worst game, he actually starting to putting together a nice string of strikeouts toward the end. This is the first time I think I've seen Hansen pitch.

Hansen is clearly trying to take something off the fastball to get more control of it, since he is throwing it at 88-90 mph. However, he still has trouble controlling the pitch. His out pitch is the slider.

Jeez, if he is going to have trouble controlling the fastball, he may as well throw the 96 mph variety.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:24 pm 

Good job by Burnett. He is tough on lefties. His breaking ball moves very sharply, down and away from lefties. He threw 4 straight breaking balls, then froze Votto with a fastball right down Broadway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:27 pm 

What's the chances they'll switch Lincoln with Harang in the 9th? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:28 pm 

On a serious note, do they let Harang finish or try to give Coredro the save? I think he struck out the side in their only win against NYM ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Enough runs for the win will be scored if/when Harang comes out of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:37 pm 

Triple play!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Trip...trip...triple play! Nicely done boys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:46 pm 

The lone highlight of a Pirates game is a defensive play by Jack Wilson? Unheard of! :o

I didn't expect much out of this Harang-Snell match up even after yesterday afternoon's Pirate dominance, but it's a shame they couldn't at least put 2 runs together to tie it and maybe have a chance. Ah, well. Another split series and the team back at .500 ... hopefully they can get out something together at home.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 pm 

I think this was some of the worst umpiring I have seen. He was calling strikes when they were clearly balls of the plate. Even the fans throughout the game booed when he callled ball when it was feet of the plate. Poor umpiring did in the pirates today good umpiring would have forced harang to throw the ball over the plate today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:41 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Poor umpiring did in the pirates today good umpiring would have forced harang to throw the ball over the plate today.

He was giving pitchers the outside corner, no doubt about that. But both teams received the strike calls - that is why the game was 2-0 and took about 2:30 to play.

A couple of calls were iffy, including the K of McLouth in the first inning on a curve that was actually inside. The ball was nearly in the batter's box and the umpire rung up Nate. But for the most part, the problems were with the Pirates staring at fastballs over the plate and then going out of the strike zone when they fell behind in the count. Pitch recognition and pitch selection are problems that have plagued the team for years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:52 pm 

I do agree that the umpiring did seem a bit "iffy" today ... that's probably the first time that I've actually noticed it being noticeably bad (maybe I just don't pay that close attention, and that's not being sarcastic). Harang was getting everything called a strike. Regardless, I concur with Bucfan that Harang brought his A game today and it probably wouldn't have caused a world of difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:03 am 

TheShark wrote:
IRegardless, I concur with Bucfan that Harang brought his A game today and it probably wouldn't have caused a world of difference.

Yep ... Harang went 0-1 to every batter, it seemed. Trying to hit 0-1 and 0-2 is difficult. That is why throwing a first pitch strike effing one to hitters is so important.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:18 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Poor umpiring did in the pirates today good umpiring would have forced harang to throw the ball over the plate today.

He was giving pitchers the outside corner, no doubt about that. But both teams received the strike calls - that is why the game was 2-0 and took about 2:30 to play.

A couple of calls were iffy, including the K of McLouth in the first inning on a curve that was actually inside. The ball was nearly in the batter's box and the umpire rung up Nate. But for the most part, the problems were with the Pirates staring at fastballs over the plate and then going out of the strike zone when they fell behind in the count. Pitch recognition and pitch selection are problems that have plagued the team for years.

If there was one play that sticks out in my mind as an "iffy" call it was i think in the 2nd or 3rd inning when the pirates clearly turned a double play and they said Adam LaRoche's foot came off the base and it never did. Bob Walk even said it was one of the worst calls you will ever seen in major league baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:23 am 

Colin21 wrote:
If there was one play that sticks out in my mind as an "iffy" call it was i think in the 2nd or 3rd inning when the pirates clearly turned a double play and they said Adam LaRoche's foot came off the base and it never did. Bob Walk even said it was one of the worst calls you will ever seen in major league baseball.

True. As soon as the play happened, I said, "he was out." The Pirates have one of these per month, it seems. I don't really understand, since the first base umpires are correct about 99.9% of the time. It seems the 1 out of a 1000 result is against the Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

True. As soon as the play happened, I said, "he was out." The Pirates have one of these per month, it seems. I don't really understand, since the first base umpires are correct about 99.9% of the time. It seems the 1 out of a 1000 result is against the Pirates.

Usually they wait and throw it in on a close play at the plate. I was just glad it happened at 1st this time.