Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What can you do with Andy Laroche? ,and pitcher rankings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:12 am 

Two years ago if you were to ask me who I thought would be the ace of the staff of the four young talents it would have gone like this...

1. Snell...far and away my choice
2. Gorzellany
3. Duke
4. Maholm

Shows you how much I know...

Cheer up, i am sure the management team, the previous fools in particular would have sworn by this same list, or even had Maholm 5th on the depth chart, say behind a guy like Van bensh whatever.

Just goes to show you what anybody knows, about PROSPECTS.

As far as An Laroche goes , i would immediately platoon him with either Vasquez or Hinke, where La Roche jr. only faces lh pitching.

If in the opinions of the team Experts that no improvement is being accomplished, send him to AAA or AA even, and bring up Walker, and just give him a shot.

As far as i know, the age difference is minimal(2 years, i think.

His hitting , or lack of it, would be somewhat tolerable, but he can't Dh, therefor his glove is needed, and as of now, it does become a deterrent.

Walker can field, it is been proven and higly spoken of, Laroche, apparently can't.

La Roche cannot hit consistently, Walker has not had the chance(in the big's), so what is the harm of having them switch places for the forseeable future.

Honestly, i think La roche should be sent to the minors, and learn to play 2b. There is no way he can do an on the job training class while Freddie is here.

If he was still property of the Dodgers, what are the odds he would be on the major league roster?.

Maybe i am beating a dead horse, but Andy Laroche still has minor league options left doesn't he?.

If he has any future on this team, it will NOT be as a 3rd baseman

Post subject: Re: What can you do with Andy Laroche? ,and pitcher rankings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:29 pm 

Before the season began I said Andy LaRoche is a minor league baseball player.
That has been proven.

I also said it would be ten baseball games before Andy LaRoche records a hit:

Six games down, zero hits.
Average: .000

Mr. Nutting, Mr. Coonely, Mr. Huntington: Send this minor league baseball player to Altoona where he belongs, and admit that the trade was a salary dump.

Please tell the truth, just once.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:15 pm 

Quote:

It is funny how nobody has anything to say about this now. I said the same thing here on the board before the season and everybody was on me like white on rice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 pm 

It's six games. It might be the same at the end of the month or it might not. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:21 pm 

To be fair, he was a highly regarded prospect who was tearing up spring training. Though I am beginning to worry myself, the season is only six games in. Justin Upton is without a hit, Billy Butler has one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:50 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

It is funny how nobody has anything to say about this now. I said the same thing here on the board before the season and everybody was on me like white on rice.

No one has anything to say about it because it does not deserve a response.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 am 

Everyone needs to relax and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:22 am 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Quote:

I do believe it does because it is fact.
He needs time in Triple A to see if he has what it takes to become a major leaguer. Any chance he has at being good one day is being ruined just because we don't have any legit third baseman. I'm not saying he wouldn't ever be good but watching him become the laughing stock of a bad team is just going to hurt what future he may have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Willton wrote:

He needs time in Triple A to see if he has what it takes to become a major leaguer. Any chance he has at being good one day is being ruined just because we don't have any legit third baseman. I'm not saying he wouldn't ever be good but watching him become the laughing stock of a bad team is just going to hurt what future he may have.

Look at LaRoche's minor league record. He has all but destroyed AAA pitching. There is no reason to send him back there just to be reminded of his ability to do so. He should be in the majors and starting regularly, if for no other reason than to find out whether he can hack it in the majors for a full season. He was a highly touted prospect for a long time, and in my mind rightfully so. It is time to figure out whether those accolades by scouts and statisticians have any merit, and 13 plate appearances in the majors is not going to cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:46 am 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Willton wrote:

Look at LaRoche's minor league record. He has all but destroyed AAA pitching. There is no reason to send him back there just to be reminded of his ability to do so. He should be in the majors and starting regularly, if for no other reason than to find out whether he can hack it in the majors for a full season. He was a highly touted prospect for a long time, and in my mind rightfully so. It is time to figure out whether those accolades by scouts and statisticians have any merit, and 13 plate appearances in the majors is not going to cut it.

I agree he destroyed triple A but i would rather see him get sent back to the minors and destroy them again than have him but on the Pirates bench because he is struggling. I don't think it is a talent issue with him because he should his talent when he was in the Dodgers minor league system i think it is a mental issue. Alot of talented players that have been having troubles in the majors have been helped by being sent back to triple A for a month.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:40 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
He has all but destroyed AAA pitching...

... at his home park... a hitter's paradise in LV. Not so "destroyable" in splits away in not so hitter friendly parks.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:16 am 

Everybody needs to calm down. If you send LaRoche to Altoona, then you need to send McLouth to Indy because he has struck out something like 20 times already. Its a 162 game season, virtually everyone on this site sees the Pirates winning 65-70 games, so does it really matter that much that Andy is in a slump?

I will explain this again for those that refuse to see the big picture. Bay was not helping us win, so I see no problem with trading him away and getting 4 talented players in return. Trading Bay WAS NOT a salary dump, he was very affordable for at least another year. Huntington used a desparate situation (usually the Pirates are the desparate ones) to get 4 guys that could all develop into serviceable major leaguers, maybe into stars. I'll take that chance 10 times out of 10.

The PBC will never say it publicly, but we are rebuilding. The difference between this rebuild and past rebuilds is the fact that they aren't letting fan emotions press them into making dumb decisions. The entire PBC is executing a systematic plan that will in turn produce a competitive team year in and year out. I'd rather have that then have a team win 90 games one season only to have another 5-10 year losing streak. So I wish you guys would take a chill pill and just observe for awhile, try to focus on "big picture" rather than game by game results of players.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:08 am 

If he's going to be sent down, it's not going to be 6 games into the season.

Why be so quick to give up on him? It's not like we have someone else ready to take that spot. He has shown he has the ability, at least physically.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:11 pm 

Quote:
If you send LaRoche to Altoona, then you need to send McLouth to Indy because he has struck out something like 20 times already. Its a 162 game season, virtually everyone on this site sees the Pirates winning 65-70 games, so does it really matter that much that Andy is in a slump?

I said Andy LaRoche to Indy, but there is a big difference between those two. McClouth proved himself last year and he is just in a slump, LaRoche is a joke and i think it is only going to get worse for him. I'm not saying to send him down now, but if he is still having these troubles after the first full month of the season i think LaRoche should be headed to Indy for a month or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:41 pm 

I'm discouraged by Li'l LaRoche's progress as well, but it is still way too early to discern anything about him. He's had two plus months with the club (August/September 2008, plus seven games this year). If this keeps up through the break, I'd say it's time for some concern. In the long run, which is what the club is concerned about, it doesn't matter. They have plenty of talent at third in the minors.

Having said that, I was initially impressed with the amount of talent the club got in the Bay trade, but I'm starting to get antsy about it. I really do not think it was a salary dump...NH thought he was getting talent in return, and Peter Gammons praised the trade at the time from the Pirates' perspective. But the guys we got have not blown anyone away yet. I know it's early, but to review:

LaRoche: horrific, I won't beat a dead horse here
Moss: meh last year, meh so far this year, at least offensively
Hansen: Atrocious last year, looks good this year in a ridiculously small sample size (2.2 IP)
Morris: Does anyone know anything about this guy?

So to summarize, I'm not rushing to judgment. But I want to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:33 am 

Way, way too early to give up on Andy. However, he does have to show something at the major league level at some point. What he did in AAA means absolutely nothing if he can't do it in the majors. Could be a psychological hurdle rather than physical.