Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nyjer Morgan doing a helluva job
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 pm 

stop with all the Andrew McCutchen talk please..The Pirates through 5 games have gotten way more than asked of Nyjer. He is playing ok defense, and he is hitting the ball and most importantly getting on base. Today he was on 5 times....he is doing a very very good job get off of his case for now...even his numbers drop a little he is being a great table setter at leadoff.

Ian Snell please find your 2006-2007 self. Andy LaRoche hit the ball please

Post subject: Re: Nyjer Morgan doing a helluva job
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:10 pm 

DoeyDoumit wrote:
stop with all the Andrew McCutchen talk please..The Pirates through 5 games have gotten way more than asked of Nyjer. He is playing ok defense, and he is hitting the ball and most importantly getting on base. Today he was on 5 times....he is doing a very very good job get off of his case for now...even his numbers drop a little he is being a great table setter at leadoff.

Ian Snell please find your 2006-2007 self. Andy LaRoche hit the ball please

Perhaps we should wait until the end of the season before we give Morgan the MVP award. It has only been 5 games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:12 pm 

I said through 5 games.... it is way to early to get too high on Morgan, and to get too low on Andy LaRoche.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:30 pm 

It is great that Morgan is hitting this well, since it will short-circuit a panic move in bringing up Cutch and basically giving up a year of his prime for 3 extra wins in 2009, and because it shows that Morgan can be a decent 4th outfielder. He is a guy who can fill in for Nate or Cutch during those brutal summer games, and do a credible job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:11 pm 

Why not Moss as the 4th OF?? At this point, has Moss proven to be any better than Morgan? It is only five games, and five good games is better than five bad games, but having Morgan continue to have success can only help the Bucs in many different ways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:19 pm 

Animal wrote:
Why not Moss as the 4th OF?? At this point, has Moss proven to be any better than Morgan? It is only five games, and five good games is better than five bad games, but having Morgan continue to have success can only help the Bucs in many different ways.

Moss has more projectability than Morgan. That's the main reason why Moss gets preference over Morgan. Moss is 3 years younger than Morgan, and Moss has shown the capability of hitting for power that Morgan has not shown. Morgan's lack of a power bat will mitigate his usefulness as the season wears on. Therefore, it is more prudent to find out whether Moss can be a contributor in the future than it is to find out the same of Morgan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:23 am 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

Moss has more projectability than Morgan. That's the main reason why Moss gets preference over Morgan. Moss is 3 years younger than Morgan, and Moss has shown the capability of hitting for power that Morgan has not shown. Morgan's lack of a power bat will mitigate his usefulness as the season wears on. Therefore, it is more prudent to find out whether Moss can be a contributor in the future than it is to find out the same of Morgan.

I personally don't think either Moss or Morgan is a long-term starter (at least on a good team). Morgan is hitting well and hit well late last year, so it's time we accept that he migh turn out to be a decent player, an exception to projectability. Moss, too, could develop into a nice player. I think he will be a very good 4th outfielder one day. I think Tabata, McLouth and McCutchen will be the starters for this team before too long, but I don't think viewing Moss or Morgan as useless is realistic. And while I wouldn't predict it, I think it's very possible one or both could outproduce the others.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 am 

I just saw a guy get arrested tonight and the cop said he was high on Nyjer Morgan. So its not a good thing to be right now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:50 am 

Wilton-- 'projectability' according to Webster is 'the violent action from a young male after having too much fun at a wedding.'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:36 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

I am not disputing that...but if we have four decent OF, that would make us much stronger. I want ALL the Bucs to do well. Is that greedy of me?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:38 pm 

Animal wrote:
I want ALL the Bucs to do well. Is that greedy of me?

No. I'm with you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:43 pm 

Morgan got on base 7 out of the 9 times he came up in this series.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:40 pm 

Animal wrote:
Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

I am not disputing that...but if we have four decent OF, that would make us much stronger. I want ALL the Bucs to do well. Is that greedy of me?

No, but you should realize that the team has to make choices. The team cannot play 4 outfielders at the same time, and splitting time between all four does a disservice to all four. Therefore, the team has to choose who should get the lion's share of starts at each position, and that decision should be based on what is best for the club in the future. Given their ages and relative skill sets, Moss is a better bet to be a positive contributor as a starter than Morgan is, despite what they've done in a mere five games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:20 am 

As I was watching the game yesterday,, I found myself wondering what teams need a leadoff hitter.. If Morga continues to play at his curret level, he will be very valuable come the trade deadline. Can he play CF?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 am 

I think that Moss can be the closest equivelant to Jason Bay. I believe he can hit 22-28 HR's this season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:40 am 

JolietKev wrote:
As I was watching the game yesterday,, I found myself wondering what teams need a leadoff hitter.. If Morga continues to play at his curret level, he will be very valuable come the trade deadline. Can he play CF?

Or not. Supposing he keeps it up (which he almost certainly won't), I think most GMs not named Ed Wade would still be able to see Morgan for what he is: a 29 year old rookie playing above his head.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:58 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Really?

He is just doing what he did last year after being sent to the minors, then recalled. In fact, this has been his MO at every level.

Slow start, then hitting .290 - .300+ and getting on base.

He might not have a long career, but he might have a productive one.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 pm 

I don't think Morgan will ever have much trade value. But if his defense improves, he could be a very valuable bench piece for the Pirates in 2010 and 2011. He'd be a solid pinch-hitter, great pinch-runner and a nice fourth/fifth outfielder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I think that Moss can be the closest equivelant to Jason Bay. I believe he can hit 22-28 HR's this season.

Jason Bay was one of the finest offensive outfielders in baseball during his stay in Pittsburgh, as measured by OPS and OPS+.

His OPS+ (which compares the player's actual OPS to the league average OPS for all positions, adjusted for the player's ballpark) was 140, 132, 150, 138, 93 and 137 during his years in Pittsburgh. That kind of hitting is extremely rare.

Bay currently ranks 26th in career OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging) for all players. Moss is a fine player. He will be a good platoon player, with some pop from the left side and a plus arm. However, he is not going to be one of the top 26, or 50, or 75 career OPS players.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:25 am 

Animal wrote:
Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

Not greedy of you Animal. I also want to see every Bucco do well. I'm enjoying Morgan's good year to this point. If someone else like McCutchen or Tabata plays even better and displaces Morgan at some point, that's outstanding. Until then, I'm going to enjoy this success.