Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 11, 2009 Pirates at Reds
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:56 pm 

BBF wrote:
A couple points as I watch this game:

1. While I don't expect Nyjer to keep this up, I am certainly rooting for him. It is nothing but good for the Pirates if he succeeds, whether it is in trade value or as a piece of our team going forward. Remember, Moss is far from established, so there is somewhere McCutchen can play even if Nyjer sticks. Obviously, with no power at all, it will be hard to sustain this success when pitchers aren't afraid of him, but who knows?

2. Adam LaRoche has hit 2 balls to the track. The other day, he had a rip down the line that Pujols snagged. I know the numbers don't back me up, but he doesn't look as lost as in Aprils past. Maybe?

3. I <3 Paul Maholm.

I agree 100%.

1) Morgan playing well is nothing but a positive.

2) LaRoche has been better than the numbers dictate.

3) Maholm can be an ace, here or anywhere!

GO BUCS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm 

Great job, Buccos. Game not on television due to blackout rules for all Saturday day games (only Fox can broadcast games on Saturday before 7:00 p.m. Eastern), so I read this description of the game before I checked Pirates site.

Why? Because I did the same thing on opening day, and the Buccos prevailed in that game. If it aint broke ....

From now on, when I cannot watch the game live, I will check the progress on the game thread before I go to a web site to see the score. Don't let me down, Pirate fans.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:25 pm 

Seems i missed 1 hell of a good game today. Good win for the Bucs!
Back over .500%

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:11 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I really would wish Morgan would stop his hitting, but at the same time, if he keeps this up he'd make a nice trade bait when McCutchen comes up...

The White Sox are looking for a CFer and Lead off hitter...

Yes, allow me to add my respectful criticism of that comment.

You really think that Morgan is a guaranteed fail? You would hat that he succeeds?

One of the myriad problems with this franchise over the last ten or so years has been that, "Gotta get this guy out of the way for ________ who is waiting in the wings."

And as the success of the various Chad Hermensens, JJ Davises, Tike Redmans, Ron Wrights ad nauesem proves, that was definitely the proper course of action.

I fell in love with this kid two years ago with his amazing catches. I hope he turns into a sucessful major league ball player.

Right now Andrew McCutcheon means zilch to me. Just another over-hyped rookie who will probably be thrown in over his head with too much pressure and a likely candidate to fail.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:23 pm 

Yes I am a Pirate fan...

It not that I want Morgan to fail as much as not to play this well so they have 2nd thoughts of bringing McCutchen up...I think McCutchen is ready.

Morgan's defense scares me...I dont think he reads the ball well off the bat, but luckily for his speed he makes up for it...

How about his throw the other day in St. Louis to an empty 2nd base? He should have been turning looking for the cutoff or to 3rd...

He has no power, and has not been that successful as a base stealer

I think Moss can be an everyday OFer, I dont think Morgan can be...If Morgan can play well great, but I dont want him blocking McCutchen or Tabata from contributing to this team

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:35 pm 

Henry Clay Sr. wrote:
Right now Andrew McCutcheon means zilch to me. Just another over-hyped rookie who will probably be thrown in over his head with too much pressure and a likely candidate to fail.

Anybody who has seen McCutchen, including the five at bats I saw in the spring training game against the Phillies, agrees that his bat leaves a vapor trail as it gets through the hitting zone. His bat is so quick that he will hit, and have extra base power.

Also, he is a true center fielder. He has great range and instincts, and an arm that is good enough for CF.

Additionally, he has plus speed, and will steal 30 bases in the majors.

Finally, his plate discipline is good - not great, admittedly, but good. He drew 68 walks in AAA as a 21 year old.

His performance thus far indicates that as he matures and develops his talents, he will be a guy who hits 15 HR's, drives in 80 runs, hits .285-.300, posts an OBP of more than .350, logs 35 doubles and 30 stolen bases, while playing plus defense in center. That kind of CF'er is incredibly rare.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:49 pm 

I think that McCutchen rates anywhere between Marquis Grissom to Rickey Henderson (with less basestealing). Both guys were 15-20 HR guys, Cutch's batting eye will give him a lot of walks (a la Rickey) and he will hit in the upper .280's to lower .300's.

Where does Nyjer really scout out to? Juan Pierre, at best? Sure...that wouldn't be too bad really. Pierre has had a nice career and been successful for several years on some teams.

Having said that, though, I would rather let Morgan light it up for a few months. Let Cutch get a real good taste of success in AAA...have that confidence grow. If Morgan slips off later in the summer or Cutch is doing SO good that you can't ignore, then call him up. Cutch is still only 22, so it isn't like he is getting "moldy" in Indy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:05 pm 

I don't especially believe in Morgan either. Glad he's doing so well and hope it continues for a long time. He's not going to get in the way of anyone. If he's really being pushed by a more talented player (and time will be the best judge of that), then we simply trade him for pitching. We do not trade McCutchen. He is the center fielder we need to have going forward.

Morgan is playing great but probably way over his ability. Not saying it can't continue. His defense is shakey at best. Only his speed enables him to overcome average play.

Moss is much more the corner outfielder we need. He has some pop and can hit for a decent average. Not a bad arm either as shown in his last two games gunning down runners in each. Yes, a bad throw in his first game but that was nerves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:10 pm 

Really nice game today. Watched but not at my computer. Getting more excited about the team each game. They're having a great start. Maholm is going great guns. Offense is moving as well. Still worried about starters esp. Snell, Karsters, and middle relievers.

Snell has a second chance for a new beginning -- hope he delievers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:09 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Really nice game today. Watched but not at my computer. Getting more excited about the team each game. They're having a great start. Maholm is going great guns. Offense is moving as well. Still worried about starters esp. Snell, Karsters, and middle relievers.

Snell has a second chance for a new beginning -- hope he delievers.

Yeah, this team has potential, all they've got to do is capitalize on it later in the season. And yeah, Snell needs to convert on this second chance as I really don't think he deserves too many more. McLouth is making me smile too, both hits are homers. You can't be anything but happy about that! Now it's up to this team to keep stable as a 2nd place finish in the division we're in would be fantastic in my mind.