Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ron Cook is an ass
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:08 pm 

By far the worst columnist in Pittsburgh and maybe nationally, look at this paragraph from his latest dribble.

Quote:
The Nos. 3 and 4 hitters -- Nate McLouth and Ryan Doumit -- barely hit a lick. Would you believe a combined 3 for 30 with four RBIs? That's not so much of a concern, but the fact that the LaRoche boys -- first baseman Adam and third baseman Andy -- also didn't hit is a huge worry. Try 2 for 21.

Is he that naive about baseball to state that four players didn't hit in a four-game series and that is worrisome?

He should be at old folks home with Smizik so that they can blog together and become totally irrelevant together.

Post subject: Re: Ron Cook is an ass
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:17 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
By far the worst columnist in Pittsburgh and maybe nationally, look at this paragraph from his latest dribble.

Quote:
The Nos. 3 and 4 hitters -- Nate McLouth and Ryan Doumit -- barely hit a lick. Would you believe a combined 3 for 30 with four RBIs? That's not so much of a concern, but the fact that the LaRoche boys -- first baseman Adam and third baseman Andy -- also didn't hit is a huge worry. Try 2 for 21.

Is he that naive about baseball to state that four players didn't hit in a four-game series and that is worrisome?

He should be at old folks home with Smizik so that they can blog together and become totally irrelevant together.

You dont have to read his articles or put him on ignore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm 

He is an ass, but that's what he's getting paid to do. You just read his article. You're talking about him. That's his job, to get people reading and talking. Why don't people seem to get the fact that columnists = nothing more than professional trolls.

Smizik was great at it and made quite a career off of gullible people.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:01 pm 

estrago wrote:

You dont have to read his articles or put him on ignore.

I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:06 pm 

unemployedahole wrote:
He is an ass, but that's what he's getting paid to do. You just read his article. You're talking about him. That's his job, to get people reading and talking. Why don't people seem to get the fact that columnists = nothing more than professional trolls.

I know what a columnist is supposed to do. My point is that Cook is not very good at it. I can name several columnists that get under my skin as well, but they can write.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:14 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
unemployedahole wrote:

I know what a columnist is supposed to do. My point is that Cook is not very good at it. I can name several columnists that get under my skin as well, but they can write.

Like I said, and I'm not trying to flame you, but why put more effort into developing his writing talent when he can fire people up and get the same reaction regardless? He's there to get a paycheck, not to win a Pulitzer prize.

At least we don't have to hear Cook wheezing into a microphone while saying intentionally stupid and/or controversial things like a certain afternoon drive host in Pittsburgh... That just makes me physically ill to hear... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:18 pm 

unemployedahole wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
unemployedahole wrote:

Like I said, and I'm not trying to flame you, but why put more effort into developing his writing talent when he can fire people up and get the same reaction regardless? He's there to get a paycheck, not to win a Pulitzer prize.

At least we don't have to hear Cook wheezing into a microphone while saying intentionally stupid and/or controversial things like a certain afternoon drive host in Pittsburgh... That just makes me physically ill to hear... :mrgreen:

Cook actually had a talk show on KDKA that was among Pittsburgh's worst of all-time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:24 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Yet you will still read his articles. Just like a business that offers a bad product or service, people complain but still remain customers. Go figure?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:32 pm 

I 'll bet Doumit and McLouth read his column today eh?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:45 pm 

estrago wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Yet you will still read his articles. Just like a business that offers a bad product or service, people complain but still remain customers. Go figure?

Actually, I don't read his articles. I read this one because the headline caught my eye. Probably the first time I have read a Ron Cook article in two or three years. So, you go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I 'll bet Doumit and McLouth read his column today eh?

Exactly. And being concerned about McLouth and Doumit's hitting is unfounded. Their major league performance last year was consistent with their minor league hitting. If the Buccos are scoring runs with Nate and Doumit not hitting well, then that is good news, IMO. Those guys will hit and when they do, as today's game indicates, the Pirates will score enough to win games.

Also, Nate has walked 6 times in 5 games. I think that a high walk total shows that the hitter is seeing the ball well and has control of the strike zone. Guys who control the strike zone will hit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:25 am 

Reading Ron Cook is a complete waste of time.