Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No love for Bucfan's son by LA Times ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:20 pm 

As noted in a post made on Tuesday, Bucfan's son won his second varsity game in relief. He came on with the bases loaded, 1 out, tie game (2-2). He induced a double-play grounder to second.

The opponent, Santa Monica, scored off son in the top of the 7th on a single, sacrifice, grounder, and bunt single. Team rallied for two in the bottom of the 7th to win, 4-3.

The article in the LA Times focused on the left-handed prospect on Santa Monica, Tyler Skaggs. He was hitting 90-91 regularly, but his out pitch was a nasty curve. Crespi hitters were handling the fastball, which was straight as a string.

The article:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baseball: Skaggs strikes out 12 but Santa Monica loses
Tyler Skaggs, a hard-throwing left-hander from Santa Monica, struck out 12, walked one and gave up four hits and two runs in six innings, but Encino Crespi rallied in the bottom of the seventh to defeat the Vikings, 4-3, in a nonleague game Tuesday at Valley College.

Santa Monica (6-7) took a 3-2 lead on a successful squeeze bunt in the seventh. Crespi tied the score with two outs in the bottom of the seventh on a wild pitch. Then the Celts (11-3) won it when Kevin Williams singled home the game-winning run.

There were more than a dozen scouts on hand scrutinizing Skaggs, who's 6 feet 5 and projects as a high draft pick in June. He threw his fastball consistently at 90 and 91 mph. He gave up a two-run single to Josh Mason but otherwise shut down the Celts.

Ryon Healy struck out seven in 5 1/3 innings for Crespi.

"I think Tyler was the toughest guy we've seen all year and probably the toughest guy we've seen in a couple of years," Crespi Coach Scott Muckey said.

See video below for comments from Muckey and Skaggs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsity ... loses.html

No mention of the winning pitcher ... the hell with 'em.

Post subject: Re: No love for Bucfan's son by LA Times ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:25 pm 

Congrats on the game...as for the not getting the glory, it happens...I've had tons of wrestling matches that came down to me at heavyweight and would win it for the team to never get the glory...
I am also a bass player in a Johnny Cash cover band...Its like I was never on stage some nights, I get no respect....

Just tell him to suck it up, it'll make him a better man...Speak softly but carry a big stick...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:37 pm 

Jeez, you get local sports in the newspaper? Not in this neck of the woods. Go Crespi! Tell him good JOB.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:44 pm 

Hey, you are a Pirate fan. You should be used to being ignored. Congratulations, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm 

I'll second Az. Goooooo Crespi!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:14 pm 

Long time no talk Bucfan ... congrats on the continued success of your son.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Long time no talk Bucfan ... congrats on the continued success of your son.

Thx, all. Appreciate the good vibes. Son can feel the support nationwide.

*Sniff* I am choking up ... I don't care what others say, you guys make great athletic supporters!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:30 pm 

Didn't ZZ Top say something about being "nationwide"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Jeez, you get local sports in the newspaper?

Both via the LA Times, which has Eric Sondheimer covering high school sports, and the Valley's newspaper, the Daily News.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:02 pm 

Sounds like Skaggs did a great job....he did have 12 K's...against a great hitting team. Did some research on Crespi and they are a great hitting team and have faced some other really good pitchers. With 12 k's I'm sure his fastball was not straight as a string as you claim. Crespi only got 4 hits and only two balls were hit hard! The other two hits were balls that a good defensive would have fielded and thrown out! Sorry that your son didn't get any loving from the papers. After seeing Skaggs for the 1st time he should get some loving. Skaggs is playing on a weak team with a weak coach. A squeeze with the number 4 batter is weak and then he pops up the bunt for a double play. Unlike Crespi who is well coached and have very talented players. Good luck to your son and the skaggs kid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 pm 

baseballfan wrote:
Sounds like Skaggs did a great job....he did have 12 K's...against a great hitting team. Did some research on Crespi and they are a great hitting team and have faced some other really good pitchers. With 12 k's I'm sure his fastball was not straight as a string as you claim.

I based my statement on standing behind home plate and watching his fastball. He was obviously throwing a 4-seam, which had almost no movement. The vast majority of K's were on curve balls.

baseballfan wrote:
Crespi only got 4 hits and only two balls were hit hard! The other two hits were balls that a good defensive would have fielded and thrown out!

Three of the four were hit hard, and two were smoked. A single up the middle in the first, and the two-run single in the 4th. The grounder to SS for a single was hit hard as well.

baseballfan wrote:
After seeing Skaggs for the 1st time he should get some loving. Skaggs is playing on a weak team with a weak coach. A squeeze with the number 4 batter is weak and then he pops up the bunt for a double play. Unlike Crespi who is well coached and have very talented players.

Santa Monica bunted with the number 3 and 4 hitters because those guys were having zero success putting the ball in play. The number 3 hitter whiffed in very bad fashion, and then proceeded to bunt the next two times up, including the bunt single to drive in the run in the top of the 7th. (The runner was tagged out, but that is another story.) The squeeze was called because Santa Monica grounded into a double play under similar circumstances the prior inning, and once again the only guys on the team who were hitting were the 1 and 2 hitters.

baseballfan wrote:
Good luck to your son and the skaggs kid.

I am related to one pitcher and I suspect that you may be related to another ... how did you wind up here, reading my "game report"? Just curious.