Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do about Gorzo
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:56 pm 

Accountability was the buzzword with this new regime so what do you do with Gorzo? He has been pretty awful this season and has major control problems. Heck, the WGN announcers called him stupid today because he threw Soriano a fastball right down Broadway on the first pitch of the game (and they are right).

I am not saying give up on him. But maybe put him in the bullpen for a couple weeks or even a stint in AAA to get his head back on straight.

I know most people will say who are you going to start in his place, but I don't care right now. This is to solve the problem long-term.

Post subject: Re: What to do about Gorzo
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:21 pm 

Maybe it is a little too quick to jump the gun, but we need starting pitching BADLY and the only way we are going to find it is if we unload either Bay or Nady. Not saying we should now, but if the time so comes for that to happen, we need to get back some good pitching prospects in return.

And just to think, pitching was supposed to be our strong point this year...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:07 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Accountability was the buzzword with this new regime so what do you do with Gorzo? He has been pretty awful this season and has major control problems. Heck, the WGN announcers called him stupid today because he threw Soriano a fastball right down Broadway on the first pitch of the game (and they are right).

If the WGN announcers think that Gorzo deliberately threw that fastball right down Broadway, then somebody is stupid, all right.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:09 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

If the WGN announcers think that Gorzo deliberately threw that fastball right down Broadway, then somebody is stupid, all right.

I think their point was Soriano is a first pitch fastball hitter. That Gorzo should know that. And he should.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 pm 

Don't want to highjack your thread but have a question. If Soriano is a dead fastball hitter, why did Paulino call for the fastball?
Another criticism on the radio was that he was throwing all fast balls and they were crushing them. I didn't see the game but am left with the same question: why did Paulino call for those fastballs?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:30 pm 

BTW, I'm not trying to absolve Gorzo, he has not been at all productive. I really think we are stuck with him and better hope he improves 'cause we got nothing better.
Again, not a very good team. We get charged up when we win a few,but we must not lose sight of our limitations and the need for years to make the necessary changes.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:37 pm 

What to do about Gorzo?

How about smacking him upside the head...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:33 am 

What to do about Gorzo? Easy, just don't have him pitch against the Cubs. Look at his splits...he is good against the rest of the league but just straight up blows against the Cubbies this year. 11 innings pitched with 21 of his 30 runs allowed!!!! In other words, his ERA against everyone else is 2.73!!! Russell...arrange the schedule so he never faces the Cubs again.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 am 

This was a blow out waiting to happen, IMO. You have a pitcher who has struggled (to put it gently) with control, who obviously came in with a strategy of challenging hitters early in the count vs. a team that was going against current logic of hitter patience and working counts and instead looking to hit the first pitch. Look at Andrew's comments in the PPG this morning. On the good side, Gorzo was consistently hitting 93-94 on the gun, so his arm must be OK.

It's just like real estate, boys......location, location, location.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:42 pm 

I think you have to keep trotting Gorzo out there. On one hand, he's not the ace he was last year. On the other, he's far from the weakest link in a rotation full of them this year. The only thing we can hope for is a turnaround by all these guys. It happened two years ago, hopefully it can again. With Gorzo and Snell specifically, if they find themselves mentally, I believe they have the stuff to be good pitchers. Now, if only Russell and Andrews could figure out a way for them to believe that...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:45 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I think their point was Soriano is a first pitch fastball hitter. That Gorzo should know that. And he should.

My point wasn't about it being a fastball. It was about it being right down Broadway. Pitch selection isn't the whole equation. Location is at least as important. Actually, location is probably more important when you're throwing the fastball, because hitters who can't hit a fastball never get to the majors. If you're going to throw a pitch right down the pipe it doesn't matter what pitch you throw.

One of the best ways to pitch to a hitter is to give him the pitch he wants, but in a location where he can't handle it, and it works especially well against free swingers like Soriano. That is probably what the Pirates were trying to do there.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:07 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
What to do about Gorzo? Easy, just don't have him pitch against the Cubs. Look at his splits...he is good against the rest of the league but just straight up blows against the Cubbies this year. 11 innings pitched with 21 of his 30 runs allowed!!!! In other words, his ERA against everyone else is 2.73!!! Russell...arrange the schedule so he never faces the Cubs again.

For that matter, I just don't think we match up well against the Cubs...they are stacked with right handed power hitters and we are using a rotation full of lefties. That's generally not going to work in our favor, especially if our lefties are struggling, particularly in the control department.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Don't want to highjack your thread but have a question. If Soriano is a dead fastball hitter, why did Paulino call for the fastball?
Another criticism on the radio was that he was throwing all fast balls and they were crushing them. I didn't see the game but am left with the same question: why did Paulino call for those fastballs?

Good point Sub.
Soriano is a first pitch fastball hitter. Any call for a fastball should be out of the zone. If Paulino called for a fastball that is a definite mistake. In disgust, I chose to delete the game on TiVo so I don't know if it was a Gorzo shaking off Paulino situation. In any event, doesn't sound like a well called game at all. Doesn't sound like any adjustments were made at all.

I saw some of today's game on TV and will watch the remainder later but I was very impressed with the Cubs approach to hitting Duke. Very patient and hitting the ball exactly where it was pitched. Seems like they either match up well or have the Bucs scouted well or both.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:23 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Good point Sub.
Soriano is a first pitch fastball hitter. Any call for a fastball should be out of the zone. If Paulino called for a fastball that is a definite mistake. In disgust, I chose to delete the game on TiVo so I don't know if it was a Gorzo shaking off Paulino situation. In any event, doesn't sound like a well called game at all. Doesn't sound like any adjustments were made at all.

I saw some of today's game on TV and will watch the remainder later but I was very impressed with the Cubs approach to hitting Duke. Very patient and hitting the ball exactly where it was pitched. Seems like they either match up well or have the Bucs scouted well or both.

I noticed today that Duke was throwing an awful lot of fastballs early. Once he started to mix in other pitches he did much better. Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to whether he was shaking off Paulino or not.