Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Can I Watch Buccos Game?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am 

So, I live on the wrong side of Pennsylvania. I live in Hershey, PA, which is roughly 15 minutes east of Harrisburg. Because of this unfortunate geographic location, I get Philly comcast and get nothing but the Phillies games. If I lived west of Harrisburg, I could get Fox Sports Pittsburgh and see the Buccos all year. However, I don't. The only time I can see the Buccos every year is their 3 game series in Philly, and I usually go to all those games.

I want to know if there is anything I can subscribe to that would not black me out from the Pirates games so I could watch them all year long. I checked MLB.TV and it said that I am blacked out from Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, and Baltimore games. If anyone could shed some light on this topic, I'd appreciate the help. I'm sick of watching games view the refresh button on ESPN.com

Post subject: Re: How Can I Watch Buccos Game?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:56 am 

Well if you're a rabid fan who will do anything, I'd suggest dumping Comcast and switching to Direct TV. I am fairly certain they offer FSN Pittsburgh in your area, but make sure you call and verify BEFORE making the change. I don't want an irate VanSlyke fan trying to hunt me down for giving bad advice.

I don't know your zip, but I'm guessing you're in the Hershey area. If you go to DTV's website you can do a search for regional sports packages in your area. I keyed in Hershey PA (17033 Zip) and got this:

Quote:
The 17033 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):

Mid Atlantic Sports Network (Ch. 640) - HD Available
Nationals (HD Available)
Orioles (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet (Mid-Atlantic) (Ch. 642) - HD Available
Washington Capitals (HD Available)
Washington Wizards (HD Available)

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FSN Pittsburgh (Ch. 659) - HD Available
Pirates (HD Available)
Pittsburgh Penguins (HD Available)

You can check your ZIP here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/co ... navtype=-1

I notice that Philly teams are conspicuously absent. Comcast has obviously cut a deal with the Philly sports teams in that "area" and people like you are left out. That sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:08 pm 

VanSlykeFan wrote:
So, I live on the wrong side of Pennsylvania. I live in Hershey, PA, which is roughly 15 minutes east of Harrisburg. Because of this unfortunate geographic location, I get Philly comcast and get nothing but the Phillies games. If I lived west of Harrisburg, I could get Fox Sports Pittsburgh and see the Buccos all year. However, I don't. The only time I can see the Buccos every year is their 3 game series in Philly, and I usually go to all those games.

I want to know if there is anything I can subscribe to that would not black me out from the Pirates games so I could watch them all year long. I checked MLB.TV and it said that I am blacked out from Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, and Baltimore games. If anyone could shed some light on this topic, I'd appreciate the help. I'm sick of watching games view the refresh button on ESPN.com

With the caveat that I am not advocating taking any such action . . . do you have any friends or acquaintances or relatives in another part of the country who would be willing to charge a MLB.TV subscription to their credit card and you could pay them back? If black outs are determined by billing address of a credit card . . . .
If the black outs are someone determined by location of your IP address or server or whatever, I'm thinking that you may be relegated to DirecTV or watching archived games. According to MLB.TV, the archived games are available 45 minutes after conclusion of the game but the archive of last night's Bucco game is still listed as "coming soon." So much for the 45 minute rule . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 pm 

In answer to the threat title, I recommend holding your nose and keeping a puke pail handy...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:57 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Interesting, my brother lives in Elizabethtown, and he is able to get FSN Pittsburgh on his HD system. Not sure if E-town is in a differant broadcast district though. It is southeast of Hershey.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Does the blackout affect your ability to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings on Comcast? I know on my system, if I subscribe to the FSN regional channels, any MLB games they air are blacked out, because they (Comcast) want to drive me to MLB Extra Innings. I had MLB Extra Innings for the past five or six seasons and I was 100% satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:13 pm 

eStragand wrote:
Does the blackout affect your ability to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings on Comcast? I know on my system, if I subscribe to the FSN regional channels, any MLB games they air are blacked out, because they (Comcast) want to drive me to MLB Extra Innings. I had MLB Extra Innings for the past five or six seasons and I was 100% satisfied.

eStrangand -
That is beyond Comcast's control. MLB makes sure that you cannot bypass the Extra Innings package by simply paying less for the regional sports package. There is plenty not to like about Comcast, but that one lies at the feet of MLB's broadcast rules.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:38 pm 

I live in Lewistown, PA. Right in the heart of central PA. 30 miles from Penn St. and about 75 miles west of Hershey. I got really lucky with Directv. I fall, not only, in the Pirates coverage region, but I also get the Nationals and Orioles games just with my Fox Sports package. Not sure if Hershey would fall in same region but I'm thinking they might.

And maybe I should amend that lucky statement considering it's the Pirates, Nationals, and Orioles!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I live in Lewistown, PA. Right in the heart of central PA. 30 miles from Penn St. and about 75 miles west of Hershey. I got really lucky with Directv. I fall, not only, in the Pirates coverage region, but I also get the Nationals and Orioles games just with my Fox Sports package. Not sure if Hershey would fall in same region but I'm thinking they might.

And maybe I should amend that lucky statement considering it's the Pirates, Nationals, and Orioles!!!

Bucfan might go visit you to watch a few games at home once Wieters is called up...inbetween innings you can keep updates on how Dunn's 130 K's is keeping the Nationals near the top of their division

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:20 pm 

I cant speak for watching Pirate games or any MLB games, but there are plenty of free online TV sites llike Justin TV and others that offer sports. I dont subscribe to the NFL Network yet I watched all the Thursday NFL games online and watch NHL games online(hockey is not the best sport to watch online because the transmission can be fuzzy at times and its hard to follow the puck in HD let alone a fuzzy online feed)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Bucfan might go visit you to watch a few games at home once Wieters is called up...

Imagine the following young hitters in the Buccos line-up for at least 4 years together:

McLouth, Doumit, Alvarez, Tabata, Wieters, and McCutchen. Two lefties, two righties, two switch hitters. All with power potential. Four with command of the strike zone.

The best of that group is probably going to be Wieters. But hey, we got Matt Morris for 20 starts!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Bucfan might go visit you to watch a few games at home once Wieters is called up...

Imagine the following young hitters in the Buccos line-up for at least 4 years together:

McLouth, Doumit, Alvarez, Tabata, Wieters, and McCutchen. Two lefties, two righties, two switch hitters. All with power potential. Four with command of the strike zone.

The best of that group is probably going to be Wieters. But hey, we got Matt Morris for 20 starts!!

I cringed every time I had a fantasy draft and saw his name come up....really is mind boggling. But I'll leave you to stew about this quietly!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:23 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I cringed every time I had a fantasy draft and saw his name come up....really is mind boggling. But I'll leave you to stew about this quietly!

Maybe Daniel Moskos is the next Rick Ankiel?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:36 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Maybe Daniel Moskos is the next Rick Ankiel?

You mean you dont want him to find the strike zone? Thats a little mean...hahaha

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:02 pm 

If all else fails, get in your car turn left and drive west for 30-40 miles and find a neighborhood bar and watch some of your favorite team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 pm 

VanSlykeFan wrote:

We talked about this in another topic. Let me go looking for my answer there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 pm 

Quote:
My olderest brother lives in Washington Pennsylvania and the Pirates are considered the local team there. He moved from Levittown and he is both a Pirates and Phillies fan so he could only get the The Phillies on Extra Innings. Now where i live in Beaver County i have Directv and i have their Fox Sports package where you get you Fox Sports from every area. They are all blacked out except the Pirates and the Indians. Both are considered my local team. If i get Extra Innings on Directv it blacks out both the Pirates and Indians games and i can only watch them on the Fox Sports package. So no matter where you live with Directv you can watch every teams televised games if you pay the price for both packages. The Fox Sports package runs about $5 a month and its a good deal and the Extra Innings is just too much for me anymore so i quit getting it. Its something like $400-$500 for the season now.

Thats my quote from the other topic about this. It was in the MLB.TV topic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:20 pm 

Well you are absolutely correct Colin on the fact that if you purchase the Direct TV Sox Sports package AND the Extra Innings that you will get all of the games. It works here in Phoenix that way. Your numbers are a little off though. The Extra innings package is right around $200 per season and I pay about 10 for the Fox package which gives me every local sports channel in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Well you are absolutely correct Colin on the fact that if you purchase the Direct TV Sox Sports package AND the Extra Innings that you will get all of the games. It works here in Phoenix that way. Your numbers are a little off though. The Extra innings package is right around $200 per season and I pay about 10 for the Fox package which gives me every local sports channel in the US.

Yeah i figured my numbers were off those were my guesses. If Extra Innings is only $200 i think i might get it on the mid-season discount or i will cave in after the first week of the season and buy it for full price like i always do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 pm 

I have a question now. I know todays game isn't televised on the Pittsburgh Fox Sports but it is on in St. Louis on 2 different channels. Are they both going to be blackout in the Pittsburgh area (i assume they are)and if they are would it also be blacked out on the Extra Innings package?
I was just wondering if it would be different because it is from the Cardinals feed.