Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt Capps
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am 

I agree with Az and ZM's assessment of Capps' performance yesterday. Nice mixing up of his pitches and very nice to see him go up the ladder to end the game with a K.
According to MLB.com, he was throwing his fastball in the mid-90s and his slider was clocked in the low 80s. That is a nice change of speeds and if (1) he can keep the slider low with good movement; (2) some movement on his fastball; (3) maintain the differences in velocity and (4), perhaps most important, throw both pitches for strikes with consistency, he'll be awfully tough. He'll run into problems if his fastball gets flat and he can't get the slider over for a strike. Teams will learn to sit on the fastball and tee off. Heck of a start for him. Very promising.
Makes me think that he was working on a single pitch when he was getting lit up at the end of Spring Training.

Post subject: Re: Matt Capps
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:58 am 

He fanned Ludwick on a 95 mph fastball, where the temperature was in the 40's. He rarely hit 95 mph last year, even in the summer heat. Come June and July, I would expect him to be hitting 97 mph, like he was in 2007.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It was interesting listening to the Cardinals TV announcers. They kept commenting on how his velocity is nowhere near where it should be and he just didn't look the same. Funny, they kept saying how dominating and intimidating their closer looked...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:49 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That's because we had two differant guns. On FoxHD, you could see the stadium gun behind the hitter, and it registered only 86, 88, 90 for Capps. The StL guys must have been looking at that gun. The Buccos announcers were saying all along how happy they were to see Capps' veleocity back this year.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:52 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
That's because we had two differant guns. On FoxHD, you could see the stadium gun behind the hitter, and it registered only 86, 88, 90 for Capps. The StL guys must have been looking at that gun. The Buccos announcers were saying all along how happy they were to see Capps' veleocity back this year.

ZM

Interesting.
However, no matter what gun is used, the difference between the fastball and slider was in the range of 12-15 mph. Whether the gap is 87 to 72 mph or 95 to 80 mph, the difference in speed will have hitters off balance which is ultimately the goal.
Quite nice to see.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

As a side note, I think I saw where DK said that the pitch Capps was "working" on this spring, was a change. Walk called change a couple times yesterday instead of slider.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:14 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
As a side note, I think I saw where DK said that the pitch Capps was "working" on this spring, was a change. Walk called change a couple times yesterday instead of slider.

ZM

I'd take Walk's word over what was shown on MLB's Gameday . . . :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:29 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

That is definitely true. I watch games on MLB.TV and sometimes also have the game on MLB gamecast (since that site has the box score). Sometimes a pitcher will throw an 84 mph two-seam that has really good movement and MLB gamecast will call it a slider or even a curve.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

That is definitely true. I watch games on MLB.TV and sometimes also have the game on MLB gamecast (since that site has the box score). Sometimes a pitcher will throw an 84 mph two-seam that has really good movement and MLB gamecast will call it a slider or even a curve.

Sometimes I think the only person who really knows what was trying to be thrown is the pitcher. I've seen sinkers that drop off the table called a curve, a curve with little to no break called a change-up, and a slider with little lateral movement called a curve.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:53 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Sometimes I think the only person who really knows what was trying to be thrown is the pitcher. I've seen sinkers that drop off the table called a curve, a curve with little to no break called a change-up, and a slider with little lateral movement called a curve.

Exactly. The descriptions are sometimes so woefully inadequate that I expect them to call me a genius.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm 

He was throwing his change too. In fact more than ever that I have seen. I saw an interview with him in ST where he said he would be throwing the change this year and had used it in the past in the minors when he was a starter. It was a good one yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:27 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Argentum -
How many times do I have to play the FREAKING advocate for the catcher?! Why is it assumed that ONLY the pitcher knows what pitch is being thrown. Who in FREAKING HE__ do you think called for the pitch? Why do you assume that the catcher wouldn't know? WTF! Don't you think that maybe, just freaking maybe . . . , the catcher might have some clue? He's not back there guessing . . . . .

BTW, just in case the context is not clear in writing - I'm joking. This was completely tongue-in-cheek. I'm making fun of my Napoleonic/inferiority complex/obsession with a catcher's role on the team. Back to taking my crazy pills . . . I'm overdue for my afternoon dose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Argentum -
How many times do I have to play the FREAKING advocate for the catcher?! Why is it assumed that ONLY the pitcher knows what pitch is being thrown. Who in FREAKING HE__ do you think called for the pitch? Why do you assume that the catcher wouldn't know? WTF! Don't you think that maybe, just freaking maybe . . . , the catcher might have some clue? He's not back there guessing . . . . .

Well I did qualify my assessment with the word "sometimes"!

Catchers do get crossed up on occasion as well. Hell, some ex-catchers I know even manage to apply this phenomena into their daily lives! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:49 pm 

It is really pretty easy to tell what pitch is being thrown, especially if they use the dead center camera angle. Look for the movement and the pitch speed...no problem.