Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guess the Pirates and the Astros lucked out here huh?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 pm 

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-top-pic ... 42068.html

Post subject: Re: Guess the Pirates and the Astros lucked out here huh?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:54 pm 

You've got to give the kid accolades for his positive attitude. I too wonder what would have happened if he had gone to the Cubs instead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 pm 

The Pirates were foolish to draft Appel in 2012.

They could've had a V8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:32 am 

I so @#$%ing wish the Astros had taken Bryant, and the Cubs had taken Appel.

@#$% the Cubs, up the @ss with a barb-wire wrapped cactus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
I so @#$%ing wish the Astros had taken Bryant, and the Cubs had taken Appel.

@#$% the Cubs, up the @ss with a barb-wire wrapped cactus.

I agree with this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:24 am 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
You've got to give the kid accolades for his positive attitude.

I do NOT got to give him accolades!

Positive attitude? What, you mean because he mentions God every two minutes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm 

Dave Augustine wrote:

Appel, for all of his faults, appears to have finally developed some self-awareness and introspection. That he can admit his failings and is looking to start anew and find his 'true' calling shows a level of earned maturity.

Most everyone deserves a second chance. Appel isn't Larry Nassar here; he's just a dumb, arrogant kid who wasted talent. That it caused our baseball team a minor inconvenience shouldn't mean that we wish ill upon the man for eternity.

Hopefully Appel gets his life together; he has a good head start with that Stanford degree. It would suck to see him go into a downward spiral like Matt Bush, Brien Taylor, or other troubled souls.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:23 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Dave Augustine wrote:

Appel, for all of his faults, appears to have finally developed some self-awareness and introspection. That he can admit his failings and is looking to start anew and find his 'true' calling shows a level of earned maturity.

Most everyone deserves a second chance. Appel isn't Larry Nassar here; he's just a dumb, arrogant kid who wasted talent. That it caused our baseball team a minor inconvenience shouldn't mean that we wish ill upon the man for eternity.

Hopefully Appel gets his life together; he has a good head start with that Stanford degree. It would suck to see him go into a downward spiral like Matt Bush, Brien Taylor, or other troubled souls.

I don’t get all the vitriol. Yes he didn’t sign with the Bucs, but he did it to go back to school. In his mind he had nothing to lose going back to finish his degree at Stanford. Turns out he made a wise decision. He still got a big bonus and he has a Stanford degree to fall back on. I don’t feel sorry for him, but I don’t hate him either.

I don’t get the Brien Taylor and Matt Bush wasting talent comparisons. One hurt himself in a fight and the other was a drunk that spent 3 years in jail. I would compare Appel more to Rick Ankiel. A guy that just lost it. Not for a lack of effort or being undisciplined, but simply losing it between the ears.

And for those pissed about the God references, people with faith central in their lives put Him first in times of both joy and sorrow. I would ask if you feel the same way about Ryan Shazier.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:25 am 

abitoutside wrote:
I don’t get the Brien Taylor and Matt Bush wasting talent comparisons. One hurt himself in a fight and the other was a drunk that spent 3 years in jail. I would compare Appel more to Rick Ankiel. A guy that just lost it. Not for a lack of effort or being undisciplined, but simply losing it between the ears.

Comparisons being $1 talent, $0.10 head. Wasted talent it wasted talent. At least Appel avoided a complete implosion (thus far).

abitoutside wrote:
And for those pissed about the God references, people with faith central in their lives put Him first in times of both joy and sorrow. I would ask if you feel the same way about Ryan Shazier.

EXCELLENT POINT!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:36 pm 

Dave Augustine wrote:

No, because he didn't blame anyone for his failure to become a big-time star. He didn't blame the team, his college, his coaches, the fans, his agent... he didn't blame anyone. And that's extremely rare these days. He's accepted being called the "biggest draft bust of all time" and is moving on with a positive attitude towards the future. I give him HUGE accolades for that. And yes... it appears that his faith has served him well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm 

Leaving god out of it...........

Why does he have a positive attitude after a miserably failed baseball career? Lets check the scoreboard and see if we can discover why. Shall we?

Straight out of HS he went to Stanford and acquired a science management and engineering degree, along with a free dorm room and 3 squares a day for less than a 1/3rd of what it would cost any of us average guys.

Then for the next 5 years he played baseball. Tho be it very lousy, but he played non the less. For 6 and a 1/2 million dollars!!! Darn.

Summery = 9 years, 1 Stanford degree and 6.5 million dollars

I'll bet the song "Ziptdy do da" comes out of his ass when he farts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:48 pm 

abitoutside wrote:
In his mind he had nothing to lose going back to finish his degree at Stanford.

I don't know if I put a lot of stock in a degree from a college who feels it's necessary to give students 3 WEEKS to cry, grieve, and color because a Presidential Election didn't go their way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Leaving god out of it...........

Why does he have a positive attitude after a miserably failed baseball career? Lets check the scoreboard and see if we can discover why. Shall we?

Straight out of HS he went to Stanford and acquired a science management and engineering degree, along with a free dorm room and 3 squares a day for less than a 1/3rd of what it would cost any of us average guys.

Then for the next 5 years he played baseball. Tho be it very lousy, but he played non the less. For 6 and a 1/2 million dollars!!! Darn.

Summery = 9 years, 1 Stanford degree and 6.5 million dollars

I'll bet the song "Ziptdy do da" comes out of his ass when he farts

I, too, must mock those more fortunate than I.

It makes me feel slightly better and is easier than actually improving my standing and/or status in life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hmmm. "fortunate", meh. Or luck as would have it. I find that to be the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

He recognized his opportunity, took advantage of it, and found God to teach him some humility on the backside.

Can't really beotch about that.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 am 

TBayXXXVII wrote:
I don't know if I put a lot of stock in a degree from a college who feels it's necessary to give students 3 WEEKS to cry, grieve, and color because a Presidential Election didn't go their way.

Then I'm betting that you aren't hiring college graduates.
Stanford graduates aren't hurting for job opportunities. Lots of employers place "a lot of stock" in a degree from that university.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm 

TBayXXXVII wrote:

Stereotype much? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously you know little about Stanford..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:58 pm 

The only thing Appel was ever guilty of was pride. He didn't sign with a particular professional baseball team, which just so happened to be our favorite. Since then, life took its course and humbled him.

Taking pleasure in his downfall says more about our fanbase than it does about a once-cocky 20-something year old.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
TBayXXXVII wrote:

Stereotype much? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously you know little about Stanford..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I actually know quite a bit about Stanford. I also know quite a bit about hiring processes. I do know that many corporations, including the one I work for has questionnaires associated with the resume and interview process. I do know that the company I work for specifically asks "How did you feel about outcome of the last Presidential Election?"

I know for a fact that 9 Stanford graduates interviewed for a job over the last 12 months. Of those 9, only 3 made it through to the next stage. The 6 who didn't get hired was because of their response to this specific question. For the most part, their answers were along the lines of a crybaby mentality. The 3 that made it through ended up getting hired very quickly... faster than non-Stanford grads. To note, the 67% rate (6 of 9 who didn't make the cut), is the highest of any college. Also, Berkeley was the second worst at 60%.

Oh, and just so you don't assume my company only hire's Republican's, the two who were hired said they didn't want Trump to win. Their responses were along the lines of I didn't vote for Trump, but let's see what he does over the next 4 years.

A similar example of what our company does...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xTzuLXTIU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 pm 

Quote:
I, too, must mock those more fortunate than I.

It makes me feel slightly better and is easier than actually improving my standing and/or status in life

Who's mocking? Im serious. In 9 years he has gotton a degree, played pro baseball for 5 years and has enough money at 26 years old to retire if he wanted to. Why shouldnt he be happy. I also find the fact that you judge what you dont know a little unbecoming. What makes you think Appel is more fortunate than me? Because he isnt.

Quote:
The only thing Appel was ever guilty of was pride. He didn't sign with a particular professional baseball team, which just so happened to be our favorite. Since then, life took its course and humbled him.

Taking pleasure in his downfall says more about our fanbase than it does about a once-cocky 20-something year old.

Nobody has done that. Nobody has taken pleasure in a non-existent downfall. Just because his baseball career didnt work out doesnt mean the kids not alright. He is no worse of than when Kramer couldnt fulfill his life long dream of becoming a banker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:15 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Who's mocking? Im serious. In 9 years he has gotton a degree, played pro baseball for 5 years and has enough money at 26 years old to retire if he wanted to. Why shouldnt he be happy.

Fair enough. It sounded like you were being sarcastic.

Quote:
He is no worse of than when Kramer couldnt fulfill his life long dream of becoming a banker.

Do you mean George's dream of being an architect?