Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB.TV
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 pm 

Given the recent major change in my life, I am going with MLB.TV this year instead of Extra Innings. Anyone care to offer suggestions on how to best make it work? I remember reading about glitches with the program and some disappointment with performance. Looking to try to avoid as many initial glitches as possible. Thanks in advance . . . .

Post subject: Re: MLB.TV
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:21 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Given the recent major change in my life, I am going with MLB.TV this year instead of Extra Innings. Anyone care to offer suggestions on how to best make it work? I remember reading about glitches with the program and some disappointment with performance. Looking to try to avoid as many initial glitches as possible. Thanks in advance . . . .

I'm not getting Extra Innings this year either. They raised its price again and i would rather get Sunday Ticket over it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 pm 

I have had MLB.TV for the past 3 years. The only complaint that I have is that Saturday day games are blacked out, due to Fox's Saturday broadcast. I enjoy the weekday coverage, and particularly the Sunday games.

I am signing up again, for the 4th year. I record the games, and can speed thru the commercials. In one of Maholm's starts last year, I watched the game in about 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 pm 

Hey Bucfan, how do you record the games on your computer?

As for me, my experience has been terrible each year, but I keep coming back as I don't really have a choice. This year has been a little bit better, but during today's game with two strikes on Jack Wilson, the game cut away to MLB's ads and I missed the game winning double. Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 am 

chetthespian wrote:
Hey Bucfan, how do you record the games on your computer?

MLB.TV is the cable television-based baseball system.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 am 

See, I thought MLB.Tv was the computer one and Extra Innings was the cable system. Though, calling a computer package Tv doesn't really make a lot of sense, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 am 

chetthespian wrote:
See, I thought MLB.Tv was the computer one and Extra Innings was the cable system. Though, calling a computer package Tv doesn't really make a lot of sense, I guess.

Chet -
MLB.TV is the internet TV package offered on MLB.com. Extra Innings is the package offered by cable outlets. I've had Extra Innings for as long as I can remember but I am currently transitioning (house in Illinois for sale (great time to be selling :cry:) and renting a house in Iowa) and I am trying to save some $$$ by not activating a phone, wireless internet or cable in the house. My wife is still in Illinois with the kids finishing out the school year and we did not re-up the Extra Innings package while I'm away during the week.

I must admit that my first foray into MLB.TV was a bit disappointing; though far from a deal breaker. If you pay the $110, you get the Gameday audio feed (supposedly from both clubs although the Pittsburgh broadcast was not working yesterday; had to listen to StL announcers - who are always enjoyable; they love baseball in that town) and you can watch games that are not blacked out. I was really shocked to learn that MLB has determined Des Moines to be in the STL market and the game was blacked out on my computer. Des Moines is 350 miles from St. Louis . . . :? Des Moines is 330 miles from downtown Chicago so I am guessing that I'll be blocked from watching the Bucs play in Chicago as well.

Left the office yesterday in the 7th inning to hit the gym. At the gym, I found the FSN broadcast from St. Louis showing the game. I'm guessing that, if Des Moines is able to get a FSN broadcast out of STL as part of the local broadcast package, then that is why the game would be blacked out over the computer, but I can't be sure of that. One other thought that just hit me is that the credit card that I used to pay for the MLB.TV package still has my Illinois address listed. Chicago and St. Louis are just short of 300 miles apart. Maybe that is how they determine whether the broadcast is blacked out. Simply guessing on my part. In any event, the computer black out will be good for my health as I hope to watch the last half of the game tonight with a marathon session on the eliptical machine.

If MLB.TV turns out to be everything that is advertised, it looks to be incredible for baseball nuts. The mosaic feature where you can watch 8 games at a time looks to be fantastic. You can supposedly set up a list of favorite players and be notified when that player is up to bat so you can watch him hit. I haven't tried any of these features yet but will offer my $.02 after I get a chance to check it out. The reviews that I have read from others are not particularly promising but I'm hoping that it is a function of available bandwidth. My wireless router at home in Illinois is incredibly fast and the connection at the office is the same way. I'm curious to see how it performs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 am 

No. 9 wrote:
One other thought that just hit me is that the credit card that I used to pay for the MLB.TV package still has my Illinois address listed. Chicago and St. Louis are just short of 300 miles apart. Maybe that is how they determine whether the broadcast is blacked out.

I believe this is correct. When I lived outside of Pittsburgh, I tried subscribing, and my billing address was in Washington, PA, so every Pirates game was blacked out, even though I was nowhere near Pittsburgh. I had to therefore cancel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm 

My dad lives 60 miles south of Buffalo and apparently that is Pirate area becasue he could not get any Bucs games. They were blacked out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 pm 

BBF wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
One other thought that just hit me is that the credit card that I used to pay for the MLB.TV package still has my Illinois address listed. Chicago and St. Louis are just short of 300 miles apart. Maybe that is how they determine whether the broadcast is blacked out.

I believe this is correct. When I lived outside of Pittsburgh, I tried subscribing, and my billing address was in Washington, PA, so every Pirates game was blacked out, even though I was nowhere near Pittsburgh. I had to therefore cancel.

My olderest brother lives in Washington Pennsylvania and the Pirates are considered the local team there. He moved from Levittown and he is both a Pirates and Phillies fan so he could only get the The Phillies on Extra Innings. Now where i live in Beaver County i have Directv and i have their Fox Sports package where you get you Fox Sports from every area. They are all blacked out except the Pirates and the Indians. Both are considered my local team. If i get Extra Innings on Directv it blacks out both the Pirates and Indians games and i can only watch them on the Fox Sports package. So no matter where you live with Directv you can watch every teams televised games if you pay the price for both packages. The Fox Sports package runs about $5 a month and its a good deal and the Extra Innings is just too much for me anymore so i quit getting it. Its something like $400-$500 for the season now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm 

Colin21 wrote:

My olderest brother lives in Washington Pennsylvania .

My condolences to your olderest brother. I don't miss that town in the least.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 pm 

BBF wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

My olderest brother lives in Washington Pennsylvania .

My condolences to your olderest brother. I don't miss that town in the least.

Haha they love it. He hated the city life of being right outside of Philadelphia and it was a decent area when they moved to Levittown but it is now becoming a gang run town like Philly.