Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Only LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG-TIME followers will remember
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Nice to see so many old timers still around, and nice to see some activity on the board. I really thought it was going to die this year.

If the 2009-10 Pirates didn't kill this board, nothing will.

Here, here. (pounds table like English Parliament)

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:44 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We have had some classics here in the past.....Gary....VOR...an...

In 1999 Gary and I got to the point of exchanging emails and picking a place to meet with no witnesses and exchange fisticuffs. No kidding! Of course in the email I found out his last name was Conti and I could not resist changing a vowel to make a rather vulgar insult! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:46 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The Judge was classic and it was him who started the banner gig. I sent him a gold sheet to make one of the banners. I stayed in contact with the Judge for quite a while. Met him a couple of times too. He was a big Meat Puppets fan with whom I know quite well so we had a connection there. He had season tickets at 3 Rivers and sat right behind homeplate in the first or second row of the upper deck. Also met his daughter Rachel.....wonder what he is up to.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

I still have the banner that he did in my name in a box in my garage!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 am 

Corsair wrote:
In 1999 Gary and I got to the point of exchanging emails and picking a place to meet with no witnesses and exchange fisticuffs. No kidding!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 am 

Corsair wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

In 1999 Gary and I got to the point of exchanging emails and picking a place to meet with no witnesses and exchange fisticuffs. No kidding! Of course in the email I found out his last name was Conti and I could not resist changing a vowel to make a rather vulgar insult! :lol:

Looking back on that, hindsight being 20/20 and all, was possible jail time really worth fighting over which was the better OF option.......Brant Brown or Emil Brown? Or perhaps it was Ed Sprague at 3B?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 am 

Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
There is some debate on this, but yes, I think DK was behind this and one of the other early, energetic posters (I forget name) covered for him (so the story goes) so that he wouldn't lose his job at PPG.

ZM

Yeah, remember that. Just cannot remember his user name. I recall he was a regular on the board, disappeared for years, returned, and explained that his absence had something to do with a family issue (daughter) and his return coincided with some sort of rapprochement.

Name escapes me.

Judge Landis, right?
EDIT: I see that I was late to the game. Lesson learned. Read entire thread before posting. Two game suspension for stupidity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 am 

No. 9 wrote:
EDIT: I see that I was late to the game. Lesson learned. Read entire thread before posting. Two game suspension for stupidity.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

In 1999 Gary and I got to the point of exchanging emails and picking a place to meet with no witnesses and exchange fisticuffs. No kidding!

Pfft. Wussies. REAL men duel with pistols at dawn.

Corsair wrote:
Of course in the email I found out his last name was Conti and I could not resist changing a vowel to make a rather vulgar insult! :lol:

Cindy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

Geez, keeping up with the day-to-day drama of the Pittsburgh sports media may end up being more interesting than following the Pirates this year.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm 

[quote="ZelieMike]I think Sisy dropped off when Glasnow failed last year. He had a lot invested in the boy (I can use boy, because I'm very, very, VERY, old)[/quote]

Sisy and I had a pretty sharp difference of opinion on the HOF credentials of Bert Blyleven way back, but I appreciated his contributions....wish he was still around.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Ah, were have you gone Gary and VOR?
ZM

Pretty sure that my first year on the UPPMB was in 1999. Found it by pure accident. This will be my 20th year on the Board . . . crazy. Exactly 40% of my time on the Earth . . .

Strange but good story. Was flying to Myrtle Beach from Chicago (through Pittsburgh) for a guy's golf trip during TRS' last year (May 10, 2000) and while PNC Park was being built. Plane had mechanical issues in Pittsburgh and I ended up grabbing a cab to TRS to watch some of the Mets/Pirates game. Bought a cheap ticket from a scalper just as the game was starting. Remembered that No. 12 sat with another poster on the UPPMB (249Row1 . . ??) and went to that section. Called out "anyone go by the name of No. 12?" DK then said "I know you" . . . he was looking at the screen of my mobile phone which showed my name (I posted by my real name back then). Sat with him and his buddies for about 4 innings. Showed him why I thought that Kendall was f--king the pitching staff by calling for too many fastballs with runners on base so that he'd have even a slight chance to throw out an attempted base stealer. I also remember giving him some shit after Pat Meares hit a triple to RF. DK hated the signing of Meares . . . he couldn't let it go. He then - very graciously - took me to a part of the stadium where you could see PNC Park being built and other areas with views of the city. "Proud" to be from Pittsburgh is a complete understatement. I had to leave in the top of the sixth to catch my flight right after the Bucs cut the deficit to two runs. I told DK that . . . even though the Pirates were losing, it appeared that they were getting to the pitcher and I told him that I thought that the Bucs would end up winning the game. He told me that I was nuts. Bucs won . . . 13-9. https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 5100.shtml Upon reviewing the box score, I didn't recall Wil Cordero having such a big night.

Pretty sure that he gave me kudos for having more faith in the team in his UPPMB Game Report that evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 am 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
ZM
Remembered that No. 12 sat with another poster on the UPPMB (249Row1 . . ??) and went to that section. Called out "anyone go by the name of No. 12?" DK then said "I know you" . . . he was looking at the screen of my mobile phone which showed my name (I posted by my real name back then)

I love this!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
ZM
Remembered that No. 12 sat with another poster on the UPPMB (249Row1 . . ??) and went to that section. Called out "anyone go by the name of No. 12?" DK then said "I know you" . . . he was looking at the screen of my mobile phone which showed my name (I posted by my real name back then)

I love this!

I also remember being a member of the group on the UPPMB that Gary or VOR (can't remember which one) referred to as the "Pink Polo Brigade." LMFAO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 pm 

I was responsible for the STBHOF. It seems as though board members had fun with that! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bassoondirector wrote:
I was responsible for the STBHOF. It seems as though board members had fun with that! :D

That will be a looooong list this coming season...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:50 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:

Loved it. Still do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
[quote="ZelieMike]I think Sisy dropped off when Glasnow failed last year. He had a lot invested in the boy (I can use boy, because I'm very, very, VERY, old)[/quote]

Sisy and I had a pretty sharp difference of opinion on the HOF credentials of Bert Blyleven way back, but I appreciated his contributions....wish he was still around.[/quote]

Sisyphus would argue with a mirror

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:10 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Sisyphus would argue with a mirror

His fuse was a might bit short, for sure....