Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Only LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG-TIME followers will remember
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:38 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
There is some debate on this, but yes, I think DK was behind this and one of the other early, energetic posters (I forget name) covered for him (so the story goes) so that he wouldn't lose his job at PPG.

ZM

Yeah, remember that. Just cannot remember his user name. I recall he was a regular on the board, disappeared for years, returned, and explained that his absence had something to do with a family issue (daughter) and his return coincided with some sort of rapprochement.

Name escapes me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:06 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Went through the list and best I could come close to, was J C Steel?

There were some folks of note there, though. Ghosts of posts past. Ah, were have you gone Gary and VOR?

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 pm 

I met him in 1999, sat and enjoyed a few innings with him over in his season tickets on the 3rd base side in the 200 level at Three Rivers.

He started getting negative with me duiring the middle aughts, and gave me shit over a post on my not attending a Houston Pittsburgh game. For those that don't recall I had an awful streak of luck and the Bucs were like 1-12 in games I attended. A point I made rather humorously on this board several times.

I made a post that said "Game Report such and such date." and you clicked on it and I just wrote "HA HA made you look" and he laid into me about it, essentially critiziing my loyalty because I choose not to go to games in HOuston anymore.

Don't think I exchanged two posts wtih him from that time until he left the board due to his work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Was DK part of the group that made a banner that was hung at Three Rivers? For some odd reason this was a big deal at the time but my recollection is sketchy. I remember sending money to help fund a "protest" of some sort. This might have been around '99 or so.

That was "Judge Landis" who went around the bend once, giving up on the Pirates completely, when the Yankees won the World Series or something and then came back in 2011, was welcomed back but couldn't keep his political views out of his 'non-watercooler' posts and went around the bend again and left, probably for good. I do know the Judge had some personal problems, including a divorce and estrangement from his daughter, which contributed to his moods, but as I said, he just couldn't seperate the sports from the political, taking each way too personal

Last edited by Corsair on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
There is some debate on this, but yes, I think DK was behind this and one of the other early, energetic posters (I forget name) covered for him (so the story goes) so that he wouldn't lose his job at PPG.

ZM

Yeah, remember that. Just cannot remember his user name. I recall he was a regular on the board, disappeared for years, returned, and explained that his absence had something to do with a family issue (daughter) and his return coincided with some sort of rapprochement.

Name escapes me.

Judge Landis: See above :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

yeah, that was it. The Judge was a good baseball poster, and I met him a couple times at the ballpark. He did go "nuts" in the way Corsair describes though.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:52 am 

Corsair wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Name escapes me.

Judge Landis: See above :D

Corsair from half-court:

Yep, Judge Landis - and Corsair's recollection of the family issues matches mine 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 am 

The Judge was classic and it was him who started the banner gig. I sent him a gold sheet to make one of the banners. I stayed in contact with the Judge for quite a while. Met him a couple of times too. He was a big Meat Puppets fan with whom I know quite well so we had a connection there. He had season tickets at 3 Rivers and sat right behind homeplate in the first or second row of the upper deck. Also met his daughter Rachel.....wonder what he is up to.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 am 

Yeah I remember Judge Landis too. We both worked downtown and both worked in IT so we got together a few times for lunch or ballgames.

Nice to see so many old timers still around, and nice to see some activity on the board. I really thought it was going to die this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:35 pm 

Ha! I haven't been on here in a very long time. But, I started here in 2008. I think I went to the PG when they started the free game chat, and then when they started to charge, switched over to the Pittsburgh Pirate Asylum, where I still reside and post. But, I decided to check in here and see what's happening.

Is there any chance Bob in Boston is still here? Anyone remember him? Nice guy. I met him at an Indy/Pawsox game several years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

DocJeanO wrote:
Ha! I haven't been on here in a very long time. But, I started here in 2008. I think I went to the PG when they started the free game chat, and then when they started to charge, switched over to the Pittsburgh Pirate Asylum, where I still reside and post. But, I decided to check in here and see what's happening.

Is there any chance Bob in Boston is still here? Anyone remember him? Nice guy. I met him at an Indy/Pawsox game several years ago.

Bob walked out a few years ago during the great Judge Landis politics rants.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:25 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

So, its looking starker for No. 12. He just lost his best remaining writer today to resignation. He's lost two since the Buzzfeed article now, both stating they can't work in that environment, and both Mueller and Gatjka being pretty damn good.

The problem won't be keeping his subscription base up, it'll be finding people to work there. Especially with the Athletic in town and doing the same thing now.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 pm 

I date back to 2005 on this message board, and I remember a guy that posted as "Genessee Pirate." Is he still here under a different moniker?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm 

Quote:
and both Mueller and Gatjka being pretty damn good.

Mueller left because he didnt want to watch Pitt basketball anymore. Gatjka has no excuse. He's been there for 2.5 years. Did he suddenly decide to become a member of the DK-METOO! Movement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:30 pm 

We have had some classics here in the past.....Gary....VOR...and some great ones...miss Buck...have been in contact with him as recently as 2 years ago....he became an A's fan I think...grew up in Brooklyn and that kinda went south....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I date back to 2005 on this message board, and I remember a guy that posted as "Genessee Pirate." Is he still here under a different moniker?

Not that I know of. And the ... ahem, "mature" members of this forum recall a ton of now-lost contributors. GP was certainly one. How about this list?

Sisyphus, Willton, Barrys Dopers, The Shark (always good for Cincinnati game reports), Buck, Gary, FANCH, Colin21, VanSlick, and Dutch.

I may use the message feature to reach out and see if I can coax a couple to re-join the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Not that I know of. And the ... ahem, "mature" members of this forum recall a ton of now-lost contributors. GP was certainly one. How about this list?

Sisyphus, Willton, Barrys Dopers, The Shark (always good for Cincinnati game reports), Buck, Gary, FANCH, Colin21, VanSlick, and Dutch.

I may use the message feature to reach out and see if I can coax a couple to re-join the forum.

Please do. I know that BD has messages sent to his email. I tried to persuade him back a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:
and both Mueller and Gatjka being pretty damn good.

Mueller left because he didnt want to watch Pitt basketball anymore. Gatjka has no excuse. He's been there for 2.5 years. Did he suddenly decide to become a member of the DK-METOO! Movement.

Apparently, yes. I'll take them at their word.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

That my friend, is quite the disperse crowd. I know I see FANCH pop in once in a while. I regret not getting to his B&B on the French Coast a few years ago. I think Sisy dropped off when Glasnow failed last year. He had a lot invested in the boy (I can use boy, because I'm very, very, VERY, old)

I kinda wonder how long Gary and VOR would last these days. Just ask'n.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:13 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Nice to see so many old timers still around, and nice to see some activity on the board. I really thought it was going to die this year.

If the 2009-10 Pirates didn't kill this board, nothing will.