Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Only LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG-TIME followers will remember ...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:04 am 

No. 12. He is now in some ... ehhh, hot water? ... relative to his business dealings.

DK was basically one of the founding and driving forces behind the Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board. Who else dates back to 1998?

Zelie Mike, I believe.

Dan.

No. 9.

Prince of Pittsburgh.

AZ Bucco fan.

Bucco Boy.

IA Pirate.

eStragand.

Yours truly ...

Sorry if I missed others. Genuine oversight. In any event, DK's recent issues and struggles:

https://deadspin.com/pittsburghs-cuttin ... 1821797940

Post subject: Re: Only LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG-TIME followers will remember
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 am 

There is a thread in the Other Sports forum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am 

I remember No. 12 also. I don't know if I go back to 1998, but I've been around! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:31 am 

Yep, I remember him....arrogant and condescending in any involvement I had with him....just sayin'....sounds a bit like John and yoko...... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 pm 

I don’t know my exact “start date” with the board but I remember being elated about acquiring Brant Brown (boy was I wrong) and thinking the other acquisition that offseason (Brian Giles) might be ok but it sucked losing a great reliever for him. So that had to be late 98, early 99 for my beginnings on here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 and I were talking about this via text the other day. I met him outside of Three Rivers Stadium when I flew in for the final series against the Cubs in 2000. Seemed like a good guy. I've enjoyed reading his free material throughout the years. I have noticed subtle hints of narcissism so this, although disappointing, isn't shocking.

Bold move asking for a threesome over a text DK, very bold! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 pm 

I joined in 2008

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:20 pm 

The “No. 12” moniker was an homage to Turner Ward after he ran through the OF wall at TRS. Bucco Boy gave me a “heads up” via text about the Deadspin article and, after reading it, I couldn’t help but feel like DK figuratively ran head first into a wall with some of those stories being revealed.

I also read his pre-emptive piece which reads like a guy who is desperately trying to save his company. His passion for Pittsburgh leads me to believe that he would struggle to thrive elsewhere. He’s obviously burned bridges with other Pittsburgh media outlets. Thus, he seems awfully “tied” to the success of his business.

That written, it appears that he’s developed a cult of personality with his followers and - as several outlets have now demonstrated - you can survive with a dedicated following no matter what may come out about the leader’s personal traits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Yep, I remember him....arrogant and condescending in any involvement I had with him....just sayin'....sounds a bit like John and yoko...... :lol: :lol:

I recall him not being a ... ummmm .... “fan” of what Phoenix and the surrounding area had to offer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

So Bucfan, you're saying I'm old?

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:37 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I recall him not being a ... ummmm .... “fan” of what Phoenix and the surrounding area had to offer.

He always discounted anyone and anything not Pittsburgh. He also downplayed any game comments if you weren't "at" the game when in fact when watching on tv you can see many things in the game that you cannot from the stands...a know-it-all too.. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

you think this is something, go follow John Perrotto on FB or a number of his local peers and watch the sparks fly.

Not well liked in his business community.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:36 am 

I was originally Steelkings. I dont remember how long ago but it was way back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
So Bucfan, you're saying I'm old?

ZM

Devoted. Faithful.

And old. Very, very, very, VERY old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:50 am 

Quote:
DK was basically one of the founding and driving forces behind the Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board. Who else dates back to 1998?

I was a 2008 join but I didnt know this went back to '98. And DK? How bout a history lesson from one of you. I'd be very interested to read.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 am 

I remember DK. I joined UPPMB in 2008. I remember that he was sometimes a smart a$$, but am sorry to hear hear that he is having difficulty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:30 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
I was a 2008 join but I didnt know this went back to '98. And DK? How bout a history lesson from one of you. I'd be very interested to read.

A married couple - forget their name - founded the site. The first time I bought a home computer and obtained internet access, I did a search under "Pittsburgh Pirates." The Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board was one of the sites listed. I joined, and as Chris Anderson correctly notes, one of the topics of discussion that winter was the acquisition of Brant Brown and Brian Giles.

DK was a regular contributor. At the time, he worked for the PPG, but I don't think he had a specific sports assignment. Shortly thereafter, he was assigned to the Penguins and at some point in the early 2000's, he became the Pirates beat writer.

DK liked the Penguins and loved the Pirates. He also loves Pittsburgh, but with the overarching belief that almost every other major urban area in the United States sucks. DK was a season ticket holder and provided regular game reviews. I recall at one point when he was still covering the Penguins, he had some rather pointed criticism of Pirates ownership and management. (Sound familiar?) The PPG eventually punished him for his Pirates observations on this site, as it seemed those comments were coming from a PPG sportswriter.

As No. 9 observes, DK posted as No. 12 and derived his user name from Turner Ward's exploits during the 1997 when he crashed through the RF wall at Three Rivers Stadium trying to field a fly ball.

DK offered some very insightful game comments, liked Dale Sveum, and hated Doug Strange for some reason - probably because he sucked as a Pirate. Years later, DK was the Pirates beat writer and the Pirates hired Strange for a front office job such that DK had regular contact with him. Awwwkward.

DK shared our dislike for Cam Bonifay. DK shared a story where he and another long-time Pirates fan who clearly took the entire thing too seriously were attending yet another Pirates beatdown. Owner Kevin McClatchy typically sat behind the Pirates dugout during home games. DK said that late in the game, when the contest was no longer in doubt and was going to be another loss, the frenetic fan walked up to McClatchy's seat and yelled, "FIRE BONIFAY!"

DK was opinionated, insightful, entertaining, but vastly too quick to get into verbal disputes and far too dismissive of others. However, when I say he is the reason this site exists, I am being accurate. The married couple - just cannot remember their name - let the site lapse or didn't pay a fee or whatever, and it disappeared at some point in 1999, I believe. It was gone for about a week. I checked every few days, and lo and behold, there it was!! DK had taken the lead and re-commissioned the site, with the same name so that the board members could find it once again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 pm 

Did Mark Madden also use to post here, or is his nonsense contained to the airwaves?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Was DK part of the group that made a banner that was hung at Three Rivers? For some odd reason this was a big deal at the time but my recollection is sketchy. I remember sending money to help fund a "protest" of some sort. This might have been around '99 or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:59 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

IA Pirate wrote:
Was DK part of the group that made a banner that was hung at Three Rivers? For some odd reason this was a big deal at the time but my recollection is sketchy. I remember sending money to help fund a "protest" of some sort. This might have been around '99 or so.

There is some debate on this, but yes, I think DK was behind this and one of the other early, energetic posters (I forget name) covered for him (so the story goes) so that he wouldn't lose his job at PPG.

I spent two seasons' with season tix with him very early in PNC Park tenure and during my divorce. Bucfan's description is pretty much spot on, but I would note aside from his game-related outbursts at players and management, he was always cordial and friendly with me at the ballpark. On this board however, we did have some dustups.

ZM