Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bucs and Marlins being investigated by MLBPA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:43 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Frank Coonnelly’s statement.

Quote:
“The Pirates are not being investigated by MLB and the Commissioner has no concerns whatsoever with the manner in which the Pirates are investing its revenue sharing receipts into building a winner. The Pirates have and will continue to invest its revenue sharing receipts in an effort to put a winning team on the field As required by the Basic Agreement, we share with MLB and the Union each year the detail as to how our revenue sharing receipts are used to put a winning team on the field. What the detail shows is that while our revenue sharing receipts have decreased for seven consecutive seasons, our Major league payroll has more than doubled over that same period. Indeed, our revenue sharing receipts are now just a fraction of what we spend on Major League payroll, let alone all of the other dollars that we spend on scouting, player development and other baseball investments, several areas in which we are among the League leaders in spending. Thus, the Commissioner is well-equipped to address whatever ’concerns’ the Union now has over the Pirates’ effort to win.”

Of course MLB is not concerned with this. They know this is the MLBPA whining about owners not throwing away money on Jason Hayward type contracts.

Quote:
What do you think the payroll should be?

Im not that smart, but it should have a cap and a floor

Quote:
They promise to spend the savings from Marte and Kang on the roster and don’t.

No they didnt

Quote:
And they have made no moves outside of those salary dumps to add to the team this offseason.

But they think they did. They think they have a team closer to the 2013 team than the 2009 team as it sits now. Its really kind of a funny statement. Its another one of those deals where crazy shit comes out of their mouths. I mean calculated crazy stuff. The 2013 team won 94 games. The 2009 team won 62. Thats a difference of 32 games. Legitimately if they win 17 more games than the 2009 team did they would indeed be closer to the 2013 team than the 2009 team. Statistically he would be correct. of course thats 79 wins and 3 games under .500.

"We believe this club is a lot closer to the ’11 and ’12 Pirates and ’13 Pirates than we were the ’07, 08, ’09 Pirates."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 pm 

I'd agree with a salary floor but the lack of a cap is good for players. Might not help the Pirates but I'm not really in favor of artificially deflating player value.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
I'd agree with a salary floor but the lack of a cap is good for players. Might not help the Pirates but I'm not really in favor of artificially deflating player value.

You can't have one without the other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 pm 

Agree which is why they have neither. I'm sure the owners would LOVE a salary cap in baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
Agree which is why they have neither. I'm sure the owners would LOVE a salary cap in baseball.

Actually no, they wouldn't. The lack of cap means they have 100% control over the % of revenue that is split with players. Right now the average is in the low 40%. If a cap was put in that means that there would also be a floor. The players would then receive, most likely, a higher % of revenue that would be negotiated in the CBA. The top end salaries may come down a bit but the low end salaries would increase.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:

Quote:
They promise to spend the savings from Marte and Kang on the roster and don’t.

No they didn’t

Yes they did but don’t let the facts get in the way of your defense of management. I can’t believe how many people listen to Huntington repeatedly lie and then still take him at his word. No one one that management team has any credibility left.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1705210197

MAY 21, 2017 2:38 PM

The Pirates plan to use the roughly $5.3 million in payroll savings to augment their roster, general manager Neal Huntington said Sunday.

“As soon as that option becomes available, we’ll gladly pour the money back into the club,” Huntington said. “April trades are essentially nonexistent. May trades are hard to come by.”

Jung Ho Kang is not being paid while on the restricted list, where he remains after his application for a visa was denied. A December DUI arrest in South Korea, his third in his native country, and the subsequent legal proceedings have complicated the process. Starling Marte lost half his salary when he was suspended 80 games for a positive Nandrolone test. The Pirates also saved more than $2 million by releasing Jared Hughes.

“As we get closer to the deadline, that is the intent, to utilize the dollars that have been created because of the two restrictions and the move that we made in spring training [Hughes] …” Huntington said. “So that money’s sitting there, waiting to be used at the appropriate time when we get the right situation.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 am 

rellimie wrote:
abitoutside wrote:
What do you think the payroll should be?

47-50 percent of net revenues would be fair in my book. That is consistent with other leagues and what the rest of the industry is paying their players. That could go up and down based on what stage your team is in from a compete perspective. This is a great snapshot of some key financial metrics from Forbes. You can hover over the graphs with your mouse to see the underlying data.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/pittsburgh-pirates/

From what I have seen I think the Pirate payroll should range between $85 and $140 million, in today's dollars, depending on where they are in their compete curve. That will rise as revenues continue to rise. They should have invested hard in 2014 and 2015. That would have allowed them to compete in those years as well as 2016 and 2017.

2014 to 2015 payroll went up 30 million.[/quote]

So you agree that they came up $20 million short?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 am 

JollyRoger wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:
They never spent at the trade deadline during the playoff runs to make the team better.

What was Marlon Byrd, JA Happ, etc. then?

Nibbling around the edges on the cheap. Look at the deadlines moves of recent World Series
champions and then tell me that Happ and Byrd measure up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:
They never spent at the trade deadline during the playoff runs to make the team better.

What was Marlon Byrd, JA Happ, etc. then?

Nibbling around the edges on the cheap. Look at the deadlines moves of recent World Series
champions and then tell me that Happ and Byrd measure up.

How does Byrd not? He was sitting at 21 HR with the mets and and 878 OPS at the time of the trade.