Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucs and Marlins being investigated by MLBPA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:33 pm 

Seems it all comes down to money. Looks like they think the Bucs are not reinvesting the revenue-sharing money into the ballclub which is against the rules. The bigger clubs put a certain amount of money in a pool and it's evenly split and given to the 15 smaller clubs to put into their program. MLBPA thinks the Bucs and Marlins are pocketing the money. Sounds about right.

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2018/1/26/16 ... es-marlins

Post subject: Re: Bucs and Marlins being investigated by MLBPA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:28 pm 

This organization is a disgrace. The cleveland browns of baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 pm 

Yeah not quite...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:43 pm 

Good. I hope that MLB throws the book at Nutting. It is absolutely clear now that he is only about turning the largest possible profit. So two things need to happen. MLB needs to find Nutting guilty and the fans need to stay away from PNC next year. That is the only way to force this guy out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

Tedfirch21 wrote:
Good. I hope that MLB throws the book at Nutting. It is absolutely clear now that he is only about turning the largest possible profit. So two things need to happen. MLB needs to find Nutting guilty and the fans need to stay away from PNC next year. That is the only way to force this guy out.

What will you do if they find that isn't what is happening and the financial situation in Pittsburgh is as described by Nutting? Not saying they will...but they could.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 pm 

Tedfirch21 wrote:
Geez. You sound like the mainstream media and their assumption Trump colluded with the Russians.

Let it play out.

Maybe you're or maybe you're not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:03 pm 

Don't confuse the MLBPA with MLB.

MLB enforces its own rules, and doesn't need help from the union. I'd be suprised if anything comes of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:32 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

MLB enforces its own rules, and doesn't need help from the union. I'd be suprised if anything comes of it.

The union is pissed because owners like Nutting are pocketing money that is supposed to be going to players.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:34 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

The union is pissed because owners like Nutting are pocketing money that is supposed to be going to players.

I guess we will see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm 

According to Spotrac.com...
2012 - $62M
2013 - $77.8M
2014 - $76.9M
2015 - $105M
2016 - $105.8M
2017 - $109.8M

That's the Pirates payroll since 2012. I don't see how you can say the Pirates aren't spending the money they're getting. Then again, I don't know how much they are getting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:25 pm 

I just called and cancelled my mlb package. It won’t make a difference but nothing is going the change by signing BS petitions. The only thing that will get ownerships attention is speaking with your dollars and not spending on tickets, merchandise or digital packages. They will still make money off the tv and revenue sharing and blame the fans for their lack of support but this group always has some excuse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
I just called and cancelled my mlb package. It won’t make a difference but nothing is going the change by signing BS petitions. The only thing that will get ownerships attention is speaking with your dollars and not spending on tickets, merchandise or digital packages. They will still make money off the tv and revenue sharing and blame the fans for their lack of support but this group always has some excuse.

What do you think the payroll should be?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:00 pm 

rellimie wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

I’m not one that has to see a massive payroll every year but I do want to see a plan and a willingness to spend at the right moments. The Pirates always claim that they will and never do.

They never spent at the trade deadline during the playoff runs to make the team better. They just nibbles around the edges of it despite the huge influx of revenue for ticket sales.

They dump Liraino’s Salary and say they want to use the savings on the roster and don’t.

They promise to spend the savings from Marte and Kang on the roster and don’t.

They do nothing at the last trade deadline when they could have gone for it or begun the rebuild and for more for Cutch and Cole than they did this winter.

They dump Nicascio for literally nothing. Where have those savings been spent?

They have dumped Cole and Cutch for little return because they put themselves in position where Cole couldn’t come back.

And they have made no moves outside of those salary dumps to add to the team this offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
rellimie wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

I’m not one that has to see a massive payroll every year but I do want to see a plan and a willingness to spend at the right moments. The Pirates always claim that they will and never do.

They never spent at the trade deadline during the playoff runs to make the team better. They just nibbles around the edges of it despite the huge influx of revenue for ticket sales.

They dump Liraino’s Salary and say they want to use the savings on the roster and don’t.

They do nothing at the last trade deadline when they could have gone for it or begun the rebuild and for more for Cutch and Cole than they did this winter.

They have dumped Cole and Cutch for little return because they put themselves in position where Cole couldn’t come back.

And they have made no moves outside of those salary dumps to add to the team this offseason.

No one that complains about spending ever throws out a number of where they would like the payroll to be. Ever.

Liriano’s salary was spent on Nova and Hudson.

I can’t speak to where Cutch’s and Cole’s money will go.

Nicasio was a head scratcher I’ll give you that. I don’t think it was a money issue though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
rellimie wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

No one that complains about spending ever throws out a number of where they would like the payroll to be. Ever.

Liriano’s salary was spent on Nova and Hudson.

I can’t speak to where Cutch’s and Cole’s money will go.

Nicasio was a head scratcher I’ll give you that. I don’t think it was a money issue though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm 

What do you think the payroll should be?[/quote]

47-50 percent of net revenues would be fair in my book. That is consistent with other leagues and what the rest of the industry is paying their players. That could go up and down based on what stage your team is in from a compete perspective. This is a great snapshot of some key financial metrics from Forbes. You can hover over the graphs with your mouse to see the underlying data.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/pittsburgh-pirates/

From what I have seen I think the Pirate payroll should range between $85 and $140 million, in today's dollars, depending on where they are in their compete curve. That will rise as revenues continue to rise. They should have invested hard in 2014 and 2015. That would have allowed them to compete in those years as well as 2016 and 2017.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm 

rellimie wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

One billion dollars!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
They never spent at the trade deadline during the playoff runs to make the team better.

What was Marlon Byrd, JA Happ, etc. then?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm 

abitoutside wrote:

47-50 percent of net revenues would be fair in my book. That is consistent with other leagues and what the rest of the industry is paying their players. That could go up and down based on what stage your team is in from a compete perspective. This is a great snapshot of some key financial metrics from Forbes. You can hover over the graphs with your mouse to see the underlying data.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/pittsburgh-pirates/

From what I have seen I think the Pirate payroll should range between $85 and $140 million, in today's dollars, depending on where they are in their compete curve. That will rise as revenues continue to rise. They should have invested hard in 2014 and 2015. That would have allowed them to compete in those years as well as 2016 and 2017.[/quote]

2014 to 2015 payroll went up 30 million.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm 

Frank Coonnelly’s statement.

Quote:
“The Pirates are not being investigated by MLB and the Commissioner has no concerns whatsoever with the manner in which the Pirates are investing its revenue sharing receipts into building a winner. The Pirates have and will continue to invest its revenue sharing receipts in an effort to put a winning team on the field As required by the Basic Agreement, we share with MLB and the Union each year the detail as to how our revenue sharing receipts are used to put a winning team on the field. What the detail shows is that while our revenue sharing receipts have decreased for seven consecutive seasons, our Major league payroll has more than doubled over that same period. Indeed, our revenue sharing receipts are now just a fraction of what we spend on Major League payroll, let alone all of the other dollars that we spend on scouting, player development and other baseball investments, several areas in which we are among the League leaders in spending. Thus, the Commissioner is well-equipped to address whatever ’concerns’ the Union now has over the Pirates’ effort to win.”