Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yelich to Brewers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 pm 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/ ... elich.html

Milwaukee is going for it. They gave up some serious talent in this deal.

It will be interesting to see the contrasting team-building strategies of MIL vs. PIT.

In theory, now the NL Central is even more loaded.

Post subject: Re: Yelich to Brewers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

ummm, pitching?

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm 

Nice trade for the Marlins actually.

I think the price reflects Yelich's age, cost, and years of control more so than his talent. Not saying he isn't talented.

How does this rate against the return the Marlins got for Stanton?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:12 pm 

Now they have picked up Lorenzo Cain. They have OF's to trade for rotation help now. They are also trying to get Yu Darvish. I guess they don't know what a small market team is supposed to do.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/ ... -cain.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:50 am 

I think the Brewers made a heist. Brinson is overrated. The PCL has vastly pumped up his batting stats. He fans a ton. Harrison whiffs so much I expect to see Don Quixote giving him a run. The pitcher is a likely relief pitcher. The SS prospect can hit for power, but has a 30% K rate and is a poor fielder.

Yelich is a lefty hitter with improving power who will rake at Miller Park. He features a low K rate, good walk rate, excellent baserunning, very good fielding. He is going to hit 30 HR's at Miller while batting above .300 and stealing 18 bases. His hitting has been suppressed by Miami's park, as shown by his road stats the past 2 seasons (year, PA, R, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Slg, and OPS):

2017 318 57 11 48 7 .292 .472 .852
2016 306 43 13 58 6 .320 .542 .934

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 am 

mbark757 wrote:
Now they have picked up Lorenzo Cain. They have OF's to trade for rotation help now. They are also trying to get Yu Darvish. I guess they don't know what a small market team is supposed to do.

Before Cain’s signing the Brewers were sitting at 68.5 million in payroll contracts (including Yelich). Factor in 16 million/year for Cain it brings their pre-arb payroll up to 84.5 million.

The Pirates are currently sitting at 76.6 million in payroll contracts.

Both of these numbers are before arbitration awards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am 

Well the Brewers have a lot more talent and not much more in payroll. They will have to go get more pitching now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:01 pm 

rellimie wrote:
mbark757 wrote:

Before Cain’s signing the Brewers were sitting at 68.5 million in payroll contracts (including Yelich). Factor in 16 million/year for Cain it brings their pre-arb payroll up to 84.5 million.

The Pirates are currently sitting at 76.6 million in payroll contracts.

Both of these numbers are before arbitration awards.

Geesh. They spend less and still kick our ass. You really know how to kick a guy while he is down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 pm 

The more I think about these Brewers acquisitions, the more curious it seems. They picked up two very good outfielders, but they were already pretty well set at outfield. They needed pitching more than anything.

I guess they didn't really like the outfielders they had. I wonder if they are going to pay someone to take Braun off their hands.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The more I think about these Brewers acquisitions, the more curious it seems. They picked up two very good outfielders, but they were already pretty well set at outfield. They needed pitching more than anything.

I guess they didn't really like the outfielders they had. I wonder if they are going to pay someone to take Braun off their hands.

They had young unproven outfielders and a lot of them. Who do you give the playing time to? Brinson, Buxton, Phillips, Santana are all guys that should get regular ABs to prove whether or not they belong. Chances are though that not all of them will pan out. You could conceivably get into a cycle of who to play and when. In Yellich and Cain you have 2 guys that you know are everyday players. With those 2 guys now you only need a solid 4th OF which any of the 3 prospects remaining can be. You use the other 2 to help bring in pitching or you go and sign Darvish or somebody like him. They traded from a position of depth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

They could flip Domingo Santana for an arm, or move Braun to 1B and keep Santana in the fold.

They still have plenty of young assets in their farm to add arms and Darvish and Arrietta have been rumored to be on their shopping list.

Honestly, it looks like the Brewers have learned from their past and are 'going for it'. It's fairly necessary considering the competitive nature of the NL Central.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Darvish and Arrietta.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

They could flip Domingo Santana for an arm, or move Braun to 1B and keep Santana in the fold.

They still have plenty of young assets in their farm to add arms and Darvish and Arrietta have been rumored to be on their shopping list.

Honestly, it looks like the Brewers have learned from their past and are 'going for it'. It's fairly necessary considering the competitive nature of the NL Central.

Are they though? Their pre-arb payroll is around 68 including Yelich. If you add about 20 million for arbitration salaries and 17 for Cain you are still only at 105 which is about the 15,16, and 17 payrolls of the Pirates. Even if they threw 20/year at Darvish they are still well below the MLB average. I'll give them this, they are making some good moves. However I wouldn't' say they are over extending themselves financially by any means. I think this is more of the result of a lot of really good talent and really cheap salaries.

Last edited by rellimie on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 pm 

rellimie wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Are they though? Their pre-arb payroll is around 68 including Yelich. If you ad 20 million for arbitration salaries and 17 for Cain you are still only at 105 which is where the 15,16, and 17 payrolls of the Pirates. Even if they threw 20/year at Darvish they are still well below the MLB average. I'll give them this, they are making some good moves. However I wouldn't' say they are over extending themselves financially by any means. I think this is more of the result of a lot of really good talent and really cheap salaries.

That situation, or result, is precisely why they're 'going for it'. They're basically where the Pirates were at in 2012 or 2013 and they know it. Like those Pirates, all they're really missing is pitching.

Darvish and/or Arrietta likely aren't the answer, but they're a start. They're also the best of a fairly barren market.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
That situation, or result, is precisely why they're 'going for it'. They're basically where the Pirates were at in 2012 or 2013 and they know it. Like those Pirates, all they're really missing is pitching.

Darvish and/or Arrietta likely aren't the answer, but they're a start. They're also the best of a fairly barren market.

I guess the point I was trying to make it if their payroll (before Cain) was already close to or around 100 million they would not sign him and would probably be done.

I was listening to The Fan on the way home and Starky and his callers were going on and on about how the Brewers were pouring money into their payroll which to me is very misleading since really the end result is having a similar payroll of the Pirates during the playoff years....which most of the fans here do not consider "pouring money" into the team.