Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BA: Mitch Keller now No. 1 Pirate Prospect
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:21 am 

He has jumped to No. 12 overall. Meadows falls all the way to 44. That's it.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-mlb-prospects-2018/

Post subject: Re: BA: Mitch Keller now No. 1 Pirate Prospect
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am 

Keith Law has Keller at 18, Hayes at 61, Baz at 65, and Meadows at 70.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:49 am 

rellimie wrote:

Wow- where was Meadows last year on the top 100? Top 50, I think. Oh, well- it's not terrible news. And it's good to hear the industry so high on Keller. I think we have something special here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am 

Lets get the pool started now

What month will Kellers Tommy John surgery be in?

May
June
July
August
Sept
Oct

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:

May
June
July
August
Sept
Oct

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:

May
June
July
August
Sept
Oct

Put me down for July.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Wow- where was Meadows last year on the top 100? Top 50, I think. Oh, well- it's not terrible news. And it's good to hear the industry so high on Keller. I think we have something special here.

BA and BP had him at #6 last year. MLB had him at #10.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:16 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That is what injuries will do.

I don't think his bat speed changed, or his pitch selection or his arm strength.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

I don't think his bat speed changed, or his pitch selection or his arm strength.

ZM

Are precipitous falls like that routine?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 am 

Quote:

Frankly, I think Meadows has been overrated since drafted. He did a rehab assignment here in Morgantown for the Black Bears, and didn't impress anyone. He's smaller than I thought, and not nearly as fast as we had hoped (yes... I know he was injured, but his jump on the ball in the outfield was slow). Watched him in batting practice for three days and didn't see anything spectacular. Small sample size, I know. But wasn't the "all world" player he was made out to be.

Keller on the other hand was very impressive in his two games in Morgantown. He looks like the real deal. Ke'Bryan Hayes impressed me the most of anyone who has come through the Black Bears system, other than pitchers Luis Escobar and Dario Agrazal.

Just my observations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:48 pm 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Quote:

Frankly, I think Meadows has been overrated since drafted. He did a rehab assignment here in Morgantown for the Black Bears, and didn't impress anyone. He's smaller than I thought, and not nearly as fast as we had hoped (yes... I know he was injured, but his jump on the ball in the outfield was slow). Watched him in batting practice for three days and didn't see anything spectacular. Small sample size, I know. But wasn't the "all world" player he was made out to be.

Keller on the other hand was very impressive in his two games in Morgantown. He looks like the real deal. Ke'Bryan Hayes impressed me the most of anyone who has come through the Black Bears system, other than pitchers Luis Escobar and Dario Agrazal.

Just my observations.

What impressed you about Hayes? Glove? Bat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:28 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
What impressed you about Hayes? Glove? Bat?

Range at third, throwing arm, clutch hitting... attitude. I'm no scout, but I liked everything about him. He's very fast for a corner infielder with quick hands and feet. Nobody hits for power in the New York/ Penn League, but he hit to all parts of the field in the dozen or so games we had him. And... he was only 19 (which is younger than the college kids we get in Short Season A). He turns 21 this weekend and spent last season in Bradenton. I'd bet that he moves to Altoona before mid-season.

Oh, and it was cool to have Charlie Hayes in the crowd in Morgantown watching his son.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

doug frobel wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

when you don't play for awhile, yeah.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm 

I'm sorry people. I don't care who is "rated" number 1. All the opinions and stats in the minors mean nothing if the player can't play in the Majors. My number 1 will be the player they call up that actually holds his own in the majors. Bell from last year is an example, he wasn't great but he didn't embarrass himself, this year could tell the tale on him as it pertains to improving or regressing. Who is next? Which prospect will rise up and grab his chance or wilt at the so called pressure? Who will be the player who is rated by the "experts" as being best in class then falls flat on his face when called up?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 am 

Keith Law’s Pirates Top 10 Prospects

1. Mitch Keller, RHP (ranked No. 18)
2. Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B (ranked No. 61)
3 Shane Baz, RHP (ranked No. 65)
4. Austin Meadows, OF ranked No. 70
5. Kevin Newman, SS (Just missed)
6. Colin Moran, 3B
7. Bryan Reynolds, OF
8. Cole Tucker, SS
9. Stephen Jennings, RHP
10. Conner Uselton, OF

Some highlights

Quote:
Colin Moran and Bryan Reynolds came over in the Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen trades, respectively. Moran should be the Pirates' Opening Day third baseman, a soft 50 defender who should hit for average and 20-homer power without many walks. Reynolds can show power, speed and patience, but has yet to put everything together at once, going from too passive as an amateur to perhaps too aggressive last year in high-A, putting the ball in play more but walking less and failing to drive the ball like he does in BP. He's likely to end up in a corner, so he has to hit, with the physical tools to do so from both sides of the plate.

Cole Tucker's arm strength seems to be fully recovered from shoulder surgery, so the question now is around his bat, as his breaking ball recognition isn't good, and he needs to get more consistency from his swing mechanics. Stephen Jennings was the team's second selection in 2017, taken with the compensation pick it received for failing to sign its selection there the year before. He came back extremely quickly from an ACL tear he suffered playing football and was still 91-93 with feel for a breaking ball and changeup in the spring. He's very projectable, a strong competitor, and may have more stuff in there just from getting his knee healthy again. Uselton was the Pirates' fourth pick, taken at the end of the second round, an athletic prep outfielder from Oklahoma who runs well and projects to hit for average and some power, likely moving to a corner outfield spot before he reaches the majors. Infielder Kevin Kramer (11) got off to a huge start after shifting his hand position on the bat but played just 53 games after a pitch broke his hand in June; he's a second baseman now but has good feel to hit, always posting high contact rates but now hitting the ball harder, and he could be a solid regular at second.

The Pirates added 6-foot-6 shortstop Oneil Cruz (12) in the trade that sent Tony Watson to the Dodgers. He's not staying at shortstop, of course, and his plate discipline has a ways to go, but he makes very hard contact and projects to big power, which will help if he ends up moving to a corner-outfield spot. Right-hander Nick Kingham (13) is all the way back from Tommy John surgery, losing a half-grade of stuff along the way but still projecting as a back-end starter who might eventually get to solid-average because of his command and feel for pitching. Taylor Hearn (14) touches 100 from the left side with a funky arm action and shows an above-average changeup, needing to tighten his breaking ball to be a true three-pitch guy. His delivery points to the bullpen, but he's had no trouble holding his stuff as a starter. He may never get to average control or command, which could also push him to relief. He's 6-foot-5 and with that arm strength he'll be employed in baseball for a very long time. Right-hander Luis Escobar (15) struck out 30 percent of opposing hitters in low-A last year, working with a fastball, curve and change -- but nothing plus -- and his smaller frame (he is listed at 6-foot-1, 155 pounds) points to a likely reliever role. The Pirates acquired Nick Burdi (16) in the Rule 5 draft (from the Twins by way of the Phillies), and he should be pitching again around midseason after rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. When healthy, which is almost never, he's been 98-100 with a plus slider up to 92.

First baseman Will Craig (17), their first-round pick in 2016, posted a .373 OBP in high-A at age 22 but hit for no power. The Florida State League isn't good for home runs, but Craig didn't project too much power to begin with and this debut performance is concerning. Lefty Braeden Ogle's (18) stats aren't much to leer at, but keep an eye on the Bucs' 2016 fourth-round pick, as he's very athletic and has shown plus velocity but needs to fill out and build some stamina before he's worthy of a closer look. Third baseman Sherten Apostel (19) has played in only the Dominican Summer League so far, but the Curaçao native earns praise for his command of the strike zone and power potential. He ranked second in his league with nine homers last year at age 18. Calvin Mitchell (20) was the team's third pick in 2017, 50th overall, a high school first baseman with a good swing that produces contact but an uncertain power outlook.

A few other names to watch: Travis Macgregor, who sounds like a character from "Monarch of the Glen," flashed plus velocity but couldn't repeat his delivery well in his second pro season, allowing a run an inning in the Appy League ... Catcher Deon Stafford, the Pirates' fifth-round pick in 2015, has some offensive potential but hurt his shoulder last spring and didn't throw well before the draft, causing him to slide into Day 2 ... Geoff Hartlieb, their 29th-round pick in 2016 out of Division II Lindenwood University, was up to 99 in instructional league after punching out 28 percent of batters with a 6 percent walk rate in high-A last year ... Dario Agrazal is a sinkerballer who missed the latter half of 2017 with a lat injury suffered off the field, posting a 55 percent ground ball rate in low-A with excellent control.

2018 impact: Colin Moran should be the Pirates' third baseman in 2018, and I hope Kingham gets a shot at the rotation this spring with one or possibly two spots open. Austin Meadows or Kevin Newman could see the majors in the second half, depending on their performances and, in Meadows' case, health.

The fallen: Aside from Meadows (who fell from top 10 to No. 70 overall) and Newman (who fell off the top 100 to the just-missed category), you could also point to first baseman Connor Joe, their second pick in the 2014 draft, 39th overall, who hit .240/.338/.380 for Double-A Altoona at age 24 and was traded to Atlanta for Sean Rodriguez in July and later moved on to the Dodgers.

Sleeper: There are a lot of guys I like in this system, but I'm especially excited to see what Stephen Jennings does when he's more than a year off the ACL tear and is focusing full-time on baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:33 am 

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this.