Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sign the petition
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 am 

https://www.change.org/p/mlb-for-mlb-to-force-bob-nutting-to-sell-the-pittsburgh-pirates?recruiter=25790963&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.undefined&utm_content=ex50%3Acontrol

Can't hurt. lol

Post subject: Re: Sign the petition
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:47 am 

Yeah, maybe if a new owner comes in, they'll do what it takes and SPEND to make the Pirates better!

Just look at Derek Jeter's group and the Marlins!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 am 

You don't need a petition... just don't go to the games. I guarantee you that if that stadium is empty, he WILL sell.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:53 pm 

TBayXXXVII wrote:
You don't need a petition... just don't go to the games. I guarantee you that if that stadium is empty, he WILL sell.

The grass isn't always greener. Maybe Nutting does make 30 million in profits every year, the next owner might want to make 50 million.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm 

rellimie wrote:
TBayXXXVII wrote:

The grass isn't always greener. Maybe Nutting does make 30 million in profits every year, the next owner might want to make 50 million.

True, but don't you think that someone who buys a team from an owner who was so cheap that the fans stopped going to the games all together - hence forced to see the team, would come in and do the same thing? I personally don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 pm 

Nutting is a cheap owner. The ONLY thing he cares about is turning a profit. Everyone SHOULD want to make a profit who owns a sport's franchise. But, the owners who do win (once in awhile in this screwed up financial world of MLB), are willing to take chances to win. Nutting is too cautious. He ONLY wants to make a profit and NOT take chances.

My opinion. Have at it! :)

PS: Of all of the cities and MLB markets that NEEDS an owner who is willing to take chances, Pittsburgh is one of them!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm 

Why does the link ask for a $3 donation.....WTF? :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

The $3 donation is the free agent fund for the Pirates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Nutting is a cheap owner. The ONLY thing he cares about is turning a profit. Everyone SHOULD want to make a profit who owns a sport's franchise. But, the owners who do win (once in awhile in this screwed up financial world of MLB), are willing to take chances to win. Nutting is too cautious. He ONLY wants to make a profit and NOT take chances.

My opinion. Have at it! :)

PS: Of all of the cities and MLB markets that NEEDS an owner who is willing to take chances, Pittsburgh is one of them!

You aren’t wrong, Nutting will not spend into the red and he needs to make enough profit to keep the other owners happy.

Pittsburgh ranks 26th out of 30 MLB markets. If an owner spends to the line where profits are negligible, don’t be surprised if it isn’t as much as you think it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:23 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Don't be such a cheap fan! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

I thought the same thing Az. Every one wants your money. I didn't give shit! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 pm 

rellimie wrote:
TBayXXXVII wrote:

Or maybe Nutting just moves the team to a place willing to continue to fund his baseball party. For some the grass is greener........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:58 pm 

rellimie wrote:
You aren’t wrong, Nutting will not spend into the red ...

That is true of Nutting ... and every other owner of a sports team. Every. Single. One.

rellimie wrote:
Pittsburgh ranks 26th out of 30 MLB markets. If an owner spends to the line where profits are negligible, don’t be surprised if it isn’t as much as you think it is.

True once again.

The issue is not payroll, people. The Astros had a payroll of $75 million in 2016 and won 84 games. The Pirates had a payroll of $66 million in 2013 and won 94 games.

The problem is talent analysis and development. The Pirates have not had a genuine, blue-chip player come up through their system since McCutchen. That is the problem. The other productive players the Pirates developed - Pedro Alvarez, Gerrit Cole, Neil Walker, Starling Marte - are good-not-great, with serious holes in their games.

Polanco has been a flop. Glasnow has been a disappointment. Meadows injured himself reading this. The team has not developed a legit catcher since Jason Kendall. The team cannot seem to develop a middle infielder anywhere close to the Machado, Lindor, Altuve, Correa level. The pitching prospects seem to be decent starters, but much better relievers.

Stop harping on payroll. Start harping on player analysis and development.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The issue is not payroll, people. The Astros had a payroll of $75 million in 2016 and won 84 games. The Pirates had a payroll of $66 million in 2013 and won 94 games.

The problem is talent analysis and development. The Pirates have not had a genuine, blue-chip player come up through their system since McCutchen. That is the problem. The other productive players the Pirates developed - Pedro Alvarez, Gerrit Cole, Neil Walker, Starling Marte - are good-not-great, with serious holes in their games.

Polanco has been a flop. Glasnow has been a disappointment. Meadows injured himself reading this. The team has not developed a legit catcher since Jason Kendall. The team cannot seem to develop a middle infielder anywhere close to the Machado, Lindor, Altuve, Correa level. The pitching prospects seem to be decent starters, but much better relievers.

I can agree with that. I wonder why NH hasn't seen that yet? A multitude of problems with this Pirate franchise and that's a BIG ONE!!!!

PS: Nutting is still cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

I can agree with that. I wonder why NH hasn't seen that yet? A multitude of problems with this Pirate franchise and that's a BIG ONE!!!!

PS: Nutting is still cheap.

Because that doesn't show up on his spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:13 pm 

I'm starting to think AND believe that NH, Hurdle and everyone else who works for Nutting are his paid goons. They know were their bread is buttered!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan is right. Though I don't think it as bad as he posits.

But, it hurts deeply still to agree.

ZM