Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Now, see? That wasn't so hard...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm 

So the Blue Jays just acquired Yangervis Solarte from the Padres, a guy that has been sought after by lots of Pirates fans and local sports writers. The cost? Their #18 prospect and a minor league depth pitcher. That would be like the Bucs offering up Jordan Luplow and Montana DuRapau, or something like that. Yet our front office can't manage to close a deal like that. Ridiculous...

Post subject: Re: Now, see? That wasn't so hard...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:50 pm 

That wasn't hard for the Jays. The problem with the Bucs doing it would be the money saved by keeping the minor leaguers and the control time. The working plan for the Bucs seems to be get by at the lowest cost. If you have players to trade then ask for the moon and stars. If you are thinking of trading for a player then what will be the cost and can we give them nothing in return.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:14 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
So the Blue Jays just acquired Yangervis Solarte from the Padres, a guy that has been sought after by lots of Pirates fans and local sports writers. The cost? Their #18 prospect and a minor league depth pitcher. That would be like the Bucs offering up Jordan Luplow and Montana DuRapau, or something like that. Yet our front office can't manage to close a deal like that. Ridiculous...

The Pirates gave far more to the Jays to get rid of Liriano. Sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 pm 

Solarte is a slightly cheaper Josh Harrison. I mean really? Is this something thats even being questioned? Quit being so sensitive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:44 am 

Yes, actually it is being questioned, by at least one Pittsburgh sportswriter that I stumbled onto after I posted this. And he is not slightly cheaper, he's quite a bit cheaper with 2 more years of control. Higher OPS over the last 3 years, too. So, no. I don't think I am being sensitive. Are you pleased with the Pirates front office approach for the last several years? You must be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am 

The Pirates approach is to do nothing. Are they even coming to the office?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

Hey, the HOLIDAYS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Yes, actually it is being questioned, by at least one Pittsburgh sportswriter that I stumbled onto after I posted this. And he is not slightly cheaper, he's quite a bit cheaper with 2 more years of control. Higher OPS over the last 3 years, too. So, no. I don't think I am being sensitive. Are you pleased with the Pirates front office approach for the last several years? You must be.

Allow me to correct myself- I think the years of control are similar. There are option years for both players. Solarte possibly hasn't quite "ceiling-ed" out yet due to coming over in his mid 20s as a Cuban defector. He will rake in that ball park- mark my words. I will take his production over the next 3 years over Harrison's in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:01 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

Doing nothing...except bloggers like youinz something to blog about during this off season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 am 

doug frobel wrote:

Wanted by Pirates fans nd Pirates sports writiers does not matter.

Wanted by the Pirates front office is all that matters, which no indication has been shown.

Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am 

Ralphie wrote:

I’d rather the Pirates do nothing than do the wrong thing.

I want Cutch and Cole to both be traded however, if they can’t get what they feel the value is for them then they shouldn’t settle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:25 am 

rellimie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Wanted by the Pirates front office is all that matters, which no indication has been shown.

Nothing to see here.

Then why were Ron Darling and the guys at MLB network praising the move so highly last night? Do guys like you even look at players in other organizations? Does NH?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 am 

The Pirates have a lot of problems to address. But replacing josh Harrison with Josh Harrison is not one of them. In fact I think Frazier is the replacement for Josh Harrison. This team has needs. But that aint it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 am 

Solarte would not really be an upgrade over what we already have. Maybe this was a good deal for Toronto, but we need a third baseman who is better than Solarte.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Solarte would not really be an upgrade over what we already have. Maybe this was a good deal for Toronto, but we need a third baseman who is better than Solarte.

Who? Mike Moustakaus? Would I like to get a stud? Sure, but let's be realistic. This was an opportunity to upgrade at third base at a comparably low cost, and they passed. Now who do you think they will end up with? Someone who will put up worse numbers in 2018 than Solarte, I will guarantee you. Frazier is definitely not the answer at third. I like him at second. But they have to hit more balls over the fence this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 am 

The Rotten One wrote:
The Pirates have a lot of problems to address. But replacing josh Harrison with Josh Harrison is not one of them. In fact I think Frazier is the replacement for Josh Harrison. This team has needs. But that aint it!

Hmmm...didn't know Josh Harrison was a switch hitter. Not a real good comp.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

Hmmm...didn't know Josh Harrison was a switch hitter. Not a real good comp.

Solarte hit .202 vs Left Handed pitching. He hit .211 when he hit as a right handed batter. Chances are he's a platoon bat at best. So you are correct. Not a comp at all to the much more valuable Harrison.

Last edited by The Rotten One on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Who? Mike Moustakaus? Would I like to get a stud? Sure, but let's be realistic. This was an opportunity to upgrade at third base at a comparably low cost, and they passed. Now who do you think they will end up with? Someone who will put up worse numbers in 2018 than Solarte, I will guarantee you. Frazier is definitely not the answer at third. I like him at second. But they have to hit more balls over the fence this year.

I don't know who. I haven't given up on Kang, but it's Huntington's job to find good players. He's not asking me for help. I just don't think Solarte is much of an upgrade over Freese.

As far as who they will end up with, I don't know. Possibly nobody. I'm sure not expecting much, given what we've seen lately.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
rellimie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Nothing to see here.

Then why were Ron Darling and the guys at MLB network praising the move so highly last night? Do guys like you even look at players in other organizations? Does NH?

Making a trade to acquire player you do not need makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Stay tuned...this thread will be resurrected in July.