Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walker Trade and Overall Strategy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 pm 

Starting a new thread because the Cole thread should not be clogged up with history. I did want to respond to a couple folks though so here goes:

Quote:
Walker's 2016 was buoyed by an uncharacteristically good April and an extraordinarily lucky September (I think) where his BABIP was almost .400.

All players have ups and downs. You can nitpick 90 percent of players and show inconsistencies. Look no further than Cutch to see good months and bad months. Lucky months and unlucky months. Hurt months and healthy months.

Quote:
Are some of you just feigning outrage or do you really not get why the Pirates moving Neil Walker made sense from a team building and on field personnel standpoint?

No outrage just stating an opinion that the team would have been better off with him in 2016. They wasted money in other areas that would have been better spent on Walker. Fact is that even with time on the DL he far outperformed what the Pirates had at 2B in 2016. Team building and personnel? They took a strength which was middle infield depth and made it a weakness
Quote:
And how many months off the field?

ZM

Who cares? When he was hurt then you put in Harrison. Again, they took a strength and made it a weakness. Walker had 20 more HRs with only 60 less ABs, 100 higher OPS and 1.4 to 3.7 WAR. They were worse, much much worse, without Walker in the mix.

You are likely and currently watching the exact scenario play out with Josh Harrison and Adam Frazier.
Quote:

And that will be another mistake unless it's part of a complete rebuild. If the goal is to compete in 2018 then it's not one or the other unless you go out and get a legit 3B or 2B option.

Finally, Walker was about money. What Niese made doesn't matter. They had a budget that they had to stay in period. I get it, but it was very poor strategy and execution. I get that the Pirates won't (not can't) be a $150 million payroll team on the average. That said, I think a strategy of being around $100 million every year is a mistake. We are seeing that play out right now. You have guys on the roster that are in their money making years, but not enough of them. This leads to a lack of flexibility that you try to patch by doing garbage deals because you are forced to (i.e. Walker, Liriano, Nicasio).

When they went into 2016 they should have torn it down instead of trying to patch the dam. Or they should have added significant short term payroll to take another shot. That is the strategy that will work IMO. You have a payroll that starts at $60-70 for a couple years during a rebuild and then runs up to $125 to $135 to $150 as you go for it during a 3-5 year window. When you lose half of your pitching staff, your vets are aging and injury prone and you don't have payroll or organizational assets to back them up then you recognize it and rebuild.

Post subject: Re: Walker Trade and Overall Strategy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:15 pm 

If we keep dwelling on the past we are going to turn into yinzer steelers fans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm 

rellimie wrote:

You started this by trashing Walker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 pm 

rellimie wrote:

It's a sordid past......

....and I will not turn into a yinzer of any sort much less a stillers fan.......

Go Bills....... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:21 am 

abitoutside wrote:
rellimie wrote:

It started when someone started dwelling on the post 98 win season.

How did I trash walker? I’m simply stated fact.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:55 am 

Im am so glad you guys mentioned trash. I almost missed it. I cant miss trash collection this week! Thanks..... Gotta go!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:06 pm 

rellimie wrote:
abitoutside wrote:
rellimie wrote:

It started when someone started dwelling on the post 98 win season.

How did I trash walker? I’m simply stated fact.

I assume you mean you were simply stating facts. Not that you are or your name is simply stated fact. That said, you may want to look back at your posts and look up the meaning of the word fact.