Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Pirate Legendary tales
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 am 

Since NSMaster was great enough to bring up Operation Shutdown. I figure a few tales from the plank are in order. I'll finish the OS tale and then add one of my own.

Fifteen years ago, on March 17, 2002, Robert Dvorchak, a beat writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, entered the Pirates spring training clubhouse at McKechnie Field in Bradenton, Florida. It was mostly empty because the Pirates were playing the Cleveland Indians about 80 miles away in Winter Haven, but veteran outfielder Derek Bell had not made the trip. His journey was just getting started.

Dvorchak approached Bell, who was flanked by journeyman righthander Pat Rapp, and with a simple request kicked off one of the most overplayed hands in sports: "Derek, do you have [?] a minute?" Dvorchak wanted to know what Bell thought of the competition for right field, to which Bell responded "What competition?"

Bell, primarily a right fielder at that point in his career, was coming off an injury-plagued, ineffectual first season with the Pirates, and showed no sign of improvement that spring, batting .175. Craig Wilson, coming off a solid rookie season, and Armando Rios were in the running for the spot, Brian Giles was cemented in left, and Bell was no longer a viable center fielder. It was right field or nothing. Two weeks before the season, Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield still didn't know who his right fielder was going to be, telling Dvorchak it wasn't an "enviable position to be in" that close to the season. Manager Lloyd McClendon knew it, too. The only one who didn't seem to know he was going to be battling for a position was Bell himself. Welcome to Operation Shutdown.

Rather than compete for a spot on the roster and prove that he deserved it, this man who slashed .173/.287/.288 the year before basically told the front office to pencil him in as the starter, or he was quite literally shutting it down.

Post subject: Re: Great Pirate Legendary tales
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:52 am 

Chick on the Hill

A home run for Willie Stargell, begun by the fact that Stargell owned a chicken restaurant in Pittsburgh's Hill District and that whenever he homered, the person at the counter would get free chicken. Thus, Prince would say, "We need a homer here. Come on, Willie, spread some Chicken on the Hill." In one particular game, Prince said that if Stargell hit a home run, everybody in the restaurant would get free chicken. Stargell did hit the home run, everyone got free chicken, and Stargell sent the bill to Prince.

Post subject: Re: Great Pirate Legendary tales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:16 am 

Actually, anyone who was in Willie's All Pro Fried Chicken when he hit a dinger would get free chicken. Street people would have a transistor radio and whenever Willie came to the plate these guys would head into the restaurant for his at bat. No HR, they would head out til next at bat.....the other story happened during a game with the Astros. Prince said he would buy chicken for anyone til closing...and he did...Cheers!