Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More realistic third base target
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:59 pm 

With the Marlins rebuilding and selling off players, I NH should ask about...no, not Martin Prado (too much $$$), but Derek Dietrich. He is a left handed hitter who plays 2nd, 3rd, and corner OF. He is only 27, I think, and makes nothing. The Fish have Brian Anderson, their young third base prospect who is ready to take over there. Dietrich hit 13 HRs last year in that dungeon of a ballpark, and has a good eye. He would make a great platoon partner for Osuna, Rodriguez, or Freese, and a nice bridge to Ke'Bryan Hayes. The only caveat there is that he actually hit lefties a lot better last year than righties. I don't know if that is a career trend or not. He hit a lot better on the road than he did at home.

Anyway, that seems like a lot more realistic a path for this organization to go.

Post subject: Re: More realistic third base target
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:31 pm 

This is very thought out. Nice job. If he could be picked up at a reasonable price then I would agree with you. Third base is up in the air and I'm not sold on the Freese, S-Rod or anything else except putting Harrison there. Kang is gone for good I believe and a pickup such as this would work within the parameters currently followed by the Bucs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm 

No thanks. We already have a third baseman like that. His name is David Freese. If the Pirates are going to trade for a corner it needs to be someone who will provide 20+ Home runs. I mean if you want to trade for a 13 HR guy then just stick Harrison over there. He'll hit close to 20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 pm 

What about Starlin Castro?

Let’s say that Harrison, Cole, Cutch are all moved. There is enough room in the budget for him, he’s only 27, He is signed through 19 with a 2020 team option and could be had for little since the Marlins only took him to balance the Stanton money from the Yanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:37 pm 

Castro hasn't played any 3B since rookie ball so not sure how much of an option he is there. At the plate he's basically a younger Harrison. I guess if you think he can play 3rd and you get a net gain between a Harrison deal and a Castro deal it's not a bad option.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:39 am 

rellimie wrote:
What about Starlin Castro?

Let’s say that Harrison, Cole, Cutch are all moved. There is enough room in the budget for him, he’s only 27, He is signed through 19 with a 2020 team option and could be had for little since the Marlins only took him to balance the Stanton money from the Yanks.

Castro is an inferior, more expensive, J-Hay.