Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nick Burdi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:08 pm 

So the Bucs get this hard-throwing righty for a half million in International pool money from the Phils, who selected him in the rule V draft this morning. Won't be ready to play until at least half way through this season, at which time we have to add him to the 25 man roster. Not a bad move. If they are contending at that time, they can work something out, but if they are not, he can stay.

He was blowing away AA hitters, I mean dominating them, when he strained his UCL and had TJ this past summer. He was ranked among the Twins better prospects.

Post subject: Re: Nick Burdi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 pm 

Well he looks a lot better than Jordan Milbrath, the 26 year old RHP the Pirates took with their own pick. I can't see him holding down a roster spot for a full season.

But keeping a guy on the 60 day DL costs you nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:50 pm 

Yeah, that guy will get returned in ST. Burdi deals 98-100 with a wipeout slider. Looks like great control for a power guy and has given up about half as many hits as innings pitched. If he comes back healthy, he will be a great pick up. Already doing long toss.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 pm 

Very solid pick-up. I think Cole is dealt to the Yankees. Yankees willing to move Frazier, and the 2nd player is the hang-up. Reports mentioning Adams seem legit, as he would be ready to step into the rotation.

The rotation would be Taillon, Nova, Adams, Kuhl and Williams.

Pirates are demanding Torres. Not going to happen. Dude is too good for Cole, even straight up. Frazier and Adams would be a solid return. Adams is referenced as a "#3 starter," but I think that understates his value. He deals 96 mph with a wipeout slider. He is a change-up from being a top-tier starting pitcher.

Frazier has raw power and projects as a decent BA, high OBP hitter. His addition means the team has depth to deal a starting OF'er, and a good one at that, for a legitimate starting 3rd baseman.