Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Meetings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 pm 

I love the Winter Meetings. A lot of things happen.

I'll post transactions from around the league is this thread.

Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

From MLB Trade Rumors...

Quote:
The Yankees have shown interest in Pirates ace Gerrit Cole, Jon Heyman of Fan Rag tweets, but have been left to believe that Cole won’t be moved. Pittsburgh’s intentions for the winter have never really been clear, with a few notable veterans nearing free agency but a core in place that might still contend in the near term. Presumably, the Bucs are still weighing their options. If a Cole deal is considered, it’s not entirely certain whether the team would prioritize long-term prospect value or prefer instead to bring back controllable assets already playing at the MLB level. While the 27-year-old was less than dominant in 2017, he was able to top two hundred frames and averaged a typical 8.7 K/9 with 2.4 BB/9. The asking price, in other words, will likely still be lofty for a pitcher with a front-line reputation. If the Yankees are serious about pursuit, they’d surely have some interesting pieces to dangle.

I get the feeling ownership and management for the Buccos are on two different wavelengths. They continue to come across as completely incompetent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

I am in total agreement with Rellime. Move that clown and hurry up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:

The 23-year-old is known as an excellent defender, but he's got some work to do on offense, as evidenced by his unsightly .206/.233/.260 line in 87 games with Triple-A Rochester this season.

BIG DEAL NEIL CAN GO HOME NOW!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:08 pm 

I wonder what is going to happen this offseason. I saw on CBS Sports about two weeks ago they were predicting the Bucs would trade Cutch to the Indians. Not sure what the return would be. They also said that Cole is of interest to the Dodgers since Darvish is a FA and they want Cole to be their #2 starter. Also they have the farm system to afford Cole. These were just guesses of course. I am very sad to see the state of the team now. I remember hearing THE HOMERUN Maz hit on radio and the teams of the 70's. I hate to say it but this team doesn't have anything going for it now. An owner who has no interest in winning, a Front Office full of yes men and a subpar coaching staff. I wonder what happened to the "supposedly' strong farm system from a couple years ago. The next few months should tell the tale. Sadly I feel it's going to be same old Bucs, different year. Over all I am still a big fan and believe in miracles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
From MLB Trade Rumors...

Quote:
The Yankees have shown interest in Pirates ace Gerrit Cole, Jon Heyman of Fan Rag tweets, but have been left to believe that Cole won’t be moved. Pittsburgh’s intentions for the winter have never really been clear, with a few notable veterans nearing free agency but a core in place that might still contend in the near term. Presumably, the Bucs are still weighing their options. If a Cole deal is considered, it’s not entirely certain whether the team would prioritize long-term prospect value or prefer instead to bring back controllable assets already playing at the MLB level. While the 27-year-old was less than dominant in 2017, he was able to top two hundred frames and averaged a typical 8.7 K/9 with 2.4 BB/9. The asking price, in other words, will likely still be lofty for a pitcher with a front-line reputation. If the Yankees are serious about pursuit, they’d surely have some interesting pieces to dangle.

I get the feeling ownership and management for the Buccos are on two different wavelengths. They continue to come across as completely incompetent.

That's not the way I take it. In order to increase the value, they need teams to know that they don't have to trade anyone. If teams sense that they are moving him regardless, the value is lower.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
I am in total agreement with Rellime. Move that clown and hurry up.

The Rotten One and Rel hardly ever agree, but when we do.....it's that Cole is an a-hole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
They continue to come across as completely incompetent.

Because they are.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am 

If a deal goes through with the Yankees for Cole, it better include Miguel Andujar, Clint Frazier, Billy McKinney, Jake Cave, Tyler Austin, or Chance Adams. Any two would be great. But somehow, if they didn't give up any of those guys for Stanton, I don't see it happening. Neil will get bent over the table.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
If a deal goes through with the Yankees for Cole, it better include Miguel Andujar, Clint Frazier, Billy McKinney, Jake Cave, Tyler Austin, or Chance Adams. Any two would be great. But somehow, if they didn't give up any of those guys for Stanton, I don't see it happening. Neil will get bent over the table.

I don’t think you can compare the Stanton deal with a potential Cole deal. The Yankees knew the Marlins were borderline desperate to get rid of that salary combined with the no trade in his contract the Yankees had them and could dictate the price for the most part. That’s not the case with Cole.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm 

rellimie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I don’t think you can compare the Stanton deal with a potential Cole deal. The Yankees knew the Marlins were borderline desperate to get rid of that salary combined with the no trade in his contract the Yankees had them and could dictate the price for the most part. That’s not the case with Cole.

I sure hope so. The Yankees have a loaded farm system. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

ESPN rumors have deal being finalized to bring Manny Machado back for Cutch, Glasnow and two unamed MiLB prospects.

Have at it.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
ESPN rumors have deal being finalized to bring Manny Machado back for Cutch, Glasnow and two unamed MiLB prospects.

Have at it.

ZM

Ummm..... :?:

That really makes no sense for either team.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

Have at it.

ZM

Why would the Pirates ever do this? If you are going to bring in Machado for one year, it means you are going for it. You weaken one position to strengthen another and give up prospects? Unless the Pirates think Cutch is falling back into the abyss.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:42 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

Have at it.

ZM

False.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:15 pm 

Marcell Ozuna traded to the Cardinals.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Marcell Ozuna traded to the Cardinals.

I'm not sure I get why they did this. I know they aren't happy with Piscotty's or Grichuk's development, but they also have Fowler and Pham entrenched, plus Bader, Sierra, and O'Neill in the wings.

Imagine if the Pirates could operate this way. Oh, not happy with Polanco's development? Just go out and get Yelich or somebody...MLB makes me sick as far as a business.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:46 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Have at it.

ZM

False.

Patently.