Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winter Meetings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:52 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Marcell Ozuna traded to the Cardinals.

Smart move.

EDIT: For the Cardinals. The Marlins continue to be a disgrace.

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Imagine if the Pirates could operate this way. Oh, not happy with Polanco's development? Just go out and get Yelich or somebody...MLB makes me sick as far as a business.

Of course, the question is if the Pirates can't operate this way...or won't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:47 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
ESPN rumors have deal being finalized to bring Manny Machado back for Cutch, Glasnow and two unamed MiLB prospects.

Have at it.

ZM

Why would the Pirates ever do this? If you are going to bring in Machado for one year, it means you are going for it. You weaken one position to strengthen another and give up prospects? Unless the Pirates think Cutch is falling back into the abyss.

Quote:
Imagine if the Pirates could operate this way. Oh, not happy with Polanco's development? Just go out and get Yelich or somebody...MLB makes me sick as far as a business.

Whats weird is...Not that this would ever in a million years happen, but if you did send Cutch and Glasnow for Machado, then went out and traded for Yelich who is under control through 2021, it would be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 pm 

Ian Kinsler traded to the Angels.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Exactly. These are precisely the kind of trades the Pirates would make if they gave a damn about winning. When they had 3 years of chances they never made this type of extra move to help push them over the top. Now they are sitting on the shitter acting like they don’t know whether to take a dump or not. All the while their competitors are making moves to get better. These guys are a joke...Nutting, Coonelly, Huntington...the whole lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:32 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Exactly. These are precisely the kind of trades the Pirates would make if they gave a damn about winning. When they had 3 years of chances they never made this type of extra move to help push them over the top. Now they are sitting on the shitter acting like they don’t know whether to take a dump or not. All the while their competitors are making moves to get better. These guys are a joke...Nutting, Coonelly, Huntington...the whole lot.

So then Polanco or Marte or Cutch get traded had they acquired Ozuna?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 am 

rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep if they traded Marte or Polanco. Sure it will suck if they figure it out somewhere else, but I have no confidence in either. After Marte’s latest stunt he would be my first option. He’s a clown, and it seems he always will be. Polanco may yet figure things out.

A guy like Osuna would’ve brought instant power to a lineup desperate for it. Plus the Marlins are all but having a fire sale so he was marginally affordable in terms of prospects.

As far as Cutch, I’d love to see him stay here for the long haul(I grew up watching my favorite player, Stargell, play his entire career here so I admit i pine for the good old days). Realistically, Cutch is as good as gone so if they traded him to make room for a guy like Osuna I’d have been ok with that, too.

But let’s face it...these guys will basically stand pat, and maybe bring in a third rate free agent or do the yearly dumpster diving for “talent”.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 am 

Stephen Piscotty traded to the Athletics.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 pm 

That concludes the 2017 Winter Meetings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Stephen Piscotty traded to the Athletics.

Why do the baseball gods continually blow sunshine up the Cardinals' asses? The underachieving Steven Piscotty, who comes with 4+ years of control but who is also owed $31.2 million brings the number 13 and 17 prospects from the A's. Why do I get the feeling that the Bucs would struggle to get that much for Cutch?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:29 pm 

So Ozuna costs the Cards 4 prospects, one of whom immediately becomes the Marlins' number one prospect. Then, for Stephen Piscotty, they get two back from the A's that will probably each win a batting title or ROY. Not a bad day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep if they traded Marte or Polanco. Sure it will suck if they figure it out somewhere else, but I have no confidence in either. After Marte’s latest stunt he would be my first option. He’s a clown, and it seems he always will be. Polanco may yet figure things out.

Did I miss Something?