Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: !@#$ Derek Jeter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 pm 

This is why MLB sucks.

I'd rather see Stanton in Cardinal red than Pinstripes*.

MLB is terrible. Bunch of good old boys hooking each other up so that the rich get richer.

If Baseball marks the time, this trade is perfect for 2017; it shows American society only cares about taking care of the haves, not the have nots.

*even though Giancarlo will probably hit 80 HR in pinstripes, which, admittedly, would be cool to see

Post subject: Re: !@#$ Derek Jeter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
This is why MLB sucks.

MLB is terrible. Bunch of good old boys hooking each other up so that the rich get richer.

If Baseball marks the time, this trade is perfect for 2017; it shows American society only cares about taking care of the haves, not the have nots.

*even though Giancarlo will probably hit 80 HR in pinstripes, which, admittedly, would be cool to see

It's not Jeter's or MLB's fault that Stanton vetoed the trades to the Cards and the Giants.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:05 pm 

rellimie wrote:
It's not Jeter's or MLB's fault that Stanton vetoed the trades to the Cards and the Giants.

No, but the Marlins are a disgrace to baseball. Having an ex-Yankee as their """owner""" and making this deal looks REALLY bad.

Why have 30 teams if only the major markets will hoard the best talent?

Baseball's business model/system isn't sustainable. At this point they're better off mirroring England's association of football clubs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:24 pm 

Estimates have MLB revenue/team second to only the NFL...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:24 pm 

144 HR’s from the presumptive 3-4-5 hitters of the Yanks (Stanton, Judge, and Sanchez). That’s 7 less than the entire 2017 Pirates hit last year and more than San Fran did. Wow.

The worst part of this trade is how little the Yanks had to give up to get him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm 

rellimie wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
This is why MLB sucks.

It IS baseball’s fault that there is a gaping chasm between the haves and the have nots. And it IS owners like Nutting who sit idly by and let it happen. They don’t fight it because they are rolling in cash, too. Makes it far less enjoyable to follow the sport when it is this unbalanced.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:44 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
The worst part of this trade is how little the Yanks had to give up to get him.

This ^

Ridiculous. Starlin Castro and some middling prospects. But hey, the Marlins shed a bunch of payroll, so it's all good.

Bowie Kuhn vetoed the A's attempted sale of Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi to the Yankees and Boston (the latter two), ruling it was "not in the best interests of baseball."

Now? "Hey, it benefits the Yankees or the Red Sox, it's great for baseball!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:21 pm 

Did Jeter do the Yankees a favor or did the Yankees do Jeter a favor? Im confused.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I guess Yanks figure Judge is a flash in the pan.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:49 am 

Holy shit. If that's all they got for Stanton, we might as well keep Cutch. He would bring far less.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:36 am 

doug frobel wrote:
Holy shit. If that's all they got for Stanton, we might as well keep Cutch. He would bring far less.

Stanton’s return was diminished because of his contract and because the Marlins didn’t have much leverage since Stanton made no secret about what teams he would approve trades to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 pm 

rellimie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Stanton’s return was diminished because of his contract and because the Marlins didn’t have much leverage since Stanton made no secret about what teams he would approve trades to.

They could have started a mini-bidding war between NY and LA (and CHC) to the point where they may have at least extracted Puig from the Dodgers.

The Marlins don't care about putting out a decent baseball product though. They only care about continuing the operation of their fraud of a franchise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 pm 

Quote:
The Marlins don't care about putting out a decent baseball product though. They only care about continuing the operation of their fraud of a franchise.

Didnt that fraud of a franchise win two more games than our fraud of a franchise?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:

Didnt that fraud of a franchise win two more games than our fraud of a franchise?

You're absolutely right. Because they won two more games in any given season and have more WS wins since their inception compared to the Pirates, there is clearly nothing questionable about their business practices; such as how they undergo a fire sale after winning titles or fleeced the city of Miami out of nearly half a billion dollars for a stadium that is never at more than 50%*** capacity.

***not enough asterisk can be added here, for good reason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:

You're absolutely right. Because they won two more games in any given season and have more WS wins since their inception compared to the Pirates, there is clearly nothing questionable about their business practices; such as how they undergo a fire sale after winning titles or fleeced the city of Miami out of nearly half a billion dollars for a stadium that is never at more than 50%*** capacity.

***not enough asterisk can be added here, for good reason

That does bring up a question though, who has the better plan?

The Pirates - low to moderate payroll, attempts to be in the playoff race every year; no significant moves to go "all-in" in order to keep prospects for future years.

or

The Marlins - low payroll most years, attempts an all-in run for a year or two by over spending, then sell off everything resulting in shit baseball for 4 to 5 years before trying again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:05 pm 

Quote:

Allow me!

Since 1993 the Marlins have been over .500 6 times, been to the playoffs twice and won 6 playoff series including 2 world championships. But like the Pirates have not won the division.

Since 1993**the Pirates have been over .500 3 times, been to the playoffs 4 times and won 1 playoff wild card game. But like the Marlins have not won the division.

Theres the results! Now yins have to decide.

**I used 1993 because thats the Marlins birth year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:

Allow me!

Since 1993 the Marlins have been over .500 6 times, been to the playoffs twice and won 6 playoff series including 2 world championships. But like the Pirates have not won the division.

Since 1993**the Pirates have been over .500 3 times, been to the playoffs 4 times and won 1 playoff wild card game. But like the Marlins have not won the division.

***I think you also need to note that the current owner/front office has only been there since 2008. While I'm aware Nutting has had an ownership share since the late 90's, he didn't take over as the principal owner until 2007.

****Also of note, the Pirates have also won 2 games in the NLDS taking it to game 5.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 pm 

rellimie wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:

Allow me!

***I think you also need to note that the current owner/front office has only been there since 2008. While I'm aware Nutting has had an ownership share since the late 90's, he didn't take over as the principal owner until 2007.

****Also of note, the Pirates have also won 2 games in the NLDS taking it to game 5.

This.

Pretty much every team has more winning seasons and/or have won more playoff games since 1993 compared to the Pirates because of their ineptitude.

The Marlins """plan""" is to get lucky by being insanely cheap and then scorching earth once/should they strike gold.

They're basically the wet dream of the old Pirates FO and maybe even half of the current one.

The Marlins are basically a AAA team for MLB, by design. The Pirates happened to stumble into being equivalent to a AAA for MLB by a mix of sheer happenstance and stupidity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm 

If you're thinking the Yankees got a steal, consider that Stanton cleared waivers in August. Any team could have had him for nothing. Nothing except the risk of taking on that massive contract, that is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 pm 

Quote:
If you're thinking the Yankees got a steal, consider that Stanton cleared waivers in August. Any team could have had him for nothing. Nothing except the risk of taking on that massive contract, that is.

Revocable waivers. The reason Stanton wasnt claimed is both his contract was tall and he had a no trade clause in his contract. If the Yankees would have claimed him they would not have been able to work out a deal because Stanton would have said no. The only reason that Stanton is a yankee is because the Dodgers said no.